MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #16
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

MOINK balls, to be MOINK balls, must be beef meatballs, wrapped in bacon (I use the lower sodium version and a half slice per ball), rubbed, than smoked or grilled. Glaze is optional. I figure my rubs have enough sodium, as do the premade meatballs, so I cut it in the bacon as much as possible.

While I am sure your dish was great, they can't be considered MOINK balls, and you may have caused Larry (BBQ Grail), the inventor of MOINK balls to have a heart attack :)

When you get a change, make the original MOINKs -I have great results making a glaze from jalapeno jelly, mixed with apple jelly, thinned with just a bit of apple juice. MOINK goodness.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchors Smokeshop View Post
Pork rib fat, why?
http://thebbqgrail.com/recipes/recip...nk-ball-recipe

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=52832

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
MOINK balls, to be MOINK balls, must be beef meatballs, wrapped in bacon (I use the lower sodium version and a half slice per ball), rubbed, than smoked or grilled. Glaze is optional. I figure my rubs have enough sodium, as do the premade meatballs, so I cut it in the bacon as much as possible.

While I am sure your dish was great, they can't be considered MOINK balls, and you may have caused Larry (BBQ Grail), the inventor of MOINK balls to have a heart attack :)
Wait... the meatballs are made from ground beef chop meat. I used pork fat and beef broth to make the liquid that the moink balls are cooking in. I am going to take them out of the liquid and place them on the cooker in a little while to let them crisp up.
Are you saying that because I added some pork fat to beef broth and added that to the cooking pan that these aren't moink balls?

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]
Backwoods Party named Woody
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 (2x)
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 (2x)
Ugly Drum Smoker named Rusty
[B][COLOR=red]Red[/COLOR][/B] Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]
Anchors Smokeshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #19
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Wait... the meatballs are made from ground beef chop meat. I used pork fat and beef broth to make the liquid that the moink balls are cooking in. I am going to take them out of the liquid and place them on the cooker in a little while to let them crisp up.
Are you saying that because I added some pork fat to beef broth and added that to the cooking pan that these aren't moink balls?
Hmmmm....

This is a new one. The Board of Directors of the International MOINK Ball Appreciation Society will have to take this one under advisemnt. A ruling will be forthcoming...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Hmmmm....

This is a new one. The Board of Directors of the International MOINK Ball Appreciation Society will have to take this one under advisemnt. A ruling will be forthcoming...
I don't know Larry. These look like bacon wrapped beef meatballs to me.
Where were you guys this morning when I was looking for the official recipe or a link to it?

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]

Last edited by Anchors Smokeshop; 07-17-2011 at 08:53 AM..

Old 01-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #21
bigabyte

Well, the big guns are here analyzing this now. Best wishes on getting MOINK approved! I'm sure they will be good no matter what. I must say though...my directions were 100% MOINKable. The variation you added is all on you my friend, all on you. Good luck!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bob View Post
Oh boy....
Yeah boy, it's a-comin'

Old 01-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #23
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Well, the big guns are here analyzing this now. Best wishes on getting MOINK approved! I'm sure they will be good no matter what. I must say though...my directions were 100% MOINKable. The variation you added is all on you my friend, all on you. Good luck!
LOL. When I started out this morning, I wasn't looking to become certified, but now that this has become a debate, I WANT to be certified.
If this doesn't meet Official MOINK Ball Certification standards and I am disqualified on a technicality, I am not going to be happy!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #24
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Quote:
LOL. When I started out this morning, I wasn't looking to become certified, but now that this has become a debate, I WANT to be certified.
If this doesn't meet Official MOINK Ball Certification standards and I am disqualified on a technicality, I am not going to be happy!
Your happiness is secondary to maintaining the integrity of the culinary art form, sorry. When the ruling from the Board is handed down, you would be well advised to accept the decision and if necessary, try again. And no funny stuff mind you, I hear there is a newly elected, and very capable Sergeant at Arms on board now.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #25
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Don't worry about getting certified.......most everybody here is certifiable!
Grillman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #26
BBQ Grail

Dear James,

After careful consideration it has been determined that your MOINK Balls are within the guidelines of what is a MOINK Ball.

Sincerely yours,

Ginger....

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #27
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Congratulations James! Truth and justice prevails again!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #28
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Yay! I was patiently awaiting my fate. I'd like to take a moment to thank the brethren. This is a proud moment for me.
Now all I need is a Jets win and this will be the perfect day.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:06 AM   #29
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Perfect?? Well at least the MOINKs were good...
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote