Frustrated with new Kingsford!!

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK, this is the solid third cook with the new kingsford in my wsm. Full load of coal, wood set in to smoke, full chiminey on it....getting about 9-10 hours in my WSM,what was a solid 15-17 hours. Just went and re-loaded. Very annoying to not get thelength of cook out that product. Going to have ot find something locally I can get my hands on to use as a replacement. Scott

I have heard alot of guy's saying the samething as you. I have used both and have not noticed a difference. I wonder if it's the type smoker you use or the methed that a person uses the charcoal. I have two home made vertical smoker and I get 15 to 20 hour cook out of both of them.The small one is about 15lbs and the big one right around 20lbs of coal

same person, same smoker, roughly same temp outside....lot's of ash, find I have to do more maintenance to the heat source. Just not as happy. Scott

I use minion method on full ring and she goes and goes. I get 15 hrs at least!

yak, I had the same problem my first few times withthe new stuff. I think a full chimney to start, gets things to excited from the getgo.. i changed it and I used a bit more than half chimney and now can go for 12-15 hrs.

kingsford says that the new stuff starts easier.. so with that in mind, u dont need a full chimney at the beginning becase more stuff will ight off sooner. Try reducing the inital chimney.

Yeah, what Phil said.

I start with about 1/2 chimney and get 12-15 hours as well at around 225-250.

When I do a filet mignon though I will go with a full chimney and that will get me around 300-325, but I'm only looking for it for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs then.

I start the WSM with only 12-15 briquettes...Like the other guys say, the contolled start keeps things under control.

Guys, by starting with less in the chimney then adding more later makes for more work.

The WSM site says to adjust the bottom vents. Close off more air flow and you will have less burn. That has enabled me to keep a stedy temp (225-250) for 15-17 hrs with the new Kingsford.

Yakfishingfool said:
same person, same smoker, roughly same temp outside....lot's of ash, find I have to do more maintenance to the heat source. Just not as happy. Scott

Yak what I meant about the smoker is I wonder if it's because we all have a different smoker that we are useing and we are all getting different results from them.

Back