Chicken and Dumplings.....the easy way

L

Larry Wolfe

My simple, quick and easy chicken and dumplings.
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0025-1.jpg

That's what I do. Used to make the real ones, but this is so much easier. I like to Q up some leg quarters, thaw out two, for C&D, and it's a meal!

dmp

Looks real good!
What else did you put in there for the finished cook?

Looks real good!
What else did you put in there for the finished cook?

Here's the recipe if you're interested.

1 Whole Fryer about 4-5lbs
5 Stalks of Celery chopped to medium pieces (chop the leafy pieces too, looks real pretty in the soup)
1 Big Yellow Onion chopped to medium pieces
5 Carrots chopped to medium pieces
2 10 Biscuit Cans of store bought buttermilk biscuits (not the Grands, just the cheap biscuits)
Water
Poultry Seasoning to taste
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste

Place the whole chicken in a stock pot, cover with cold water. Add salt, pepper and poultry seasoning to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cover for approximately 1 hour or until you can easily pull the leg bone off.

Scoop out all the meat, skin and bones to let cool.

Pull the chicken apart, discarding the bones and skin.

Add carrots, celery and onions and let simmer for 20 minutes until they begin to soften but are not fully cooked. After 20 minutes put the chicken back in and increase heat until you get a slow boil.

Remove the biscuits from the can and roll into balls, place into stock pot and cover for approximately 20 minutes. They are done when they no longer float.

Looks good Larry.
I make it the same way except that I do one more step. I break up the bisquits, roll them in flour, then toss in the pot. Mom taught me to do it so that is why I do it! lol

I like that idea, being I can't bake or do anything with flour to save my life....I'm gonna have to give that a try.

Great looking chicken and dumplings. Definitely easier than making your own dumplings. Great tip. Thanks.

Larry, looks great. If you want to thicken it or make it a little more hearty, add a can of condensed cream of chicken soup. Delish!

Back