MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
What JP and Marty say. Pre-seasoned isn't really seasoned enough.
good to know...I've got a set of CI skillets I've had a long time that are nicely seasoned from use, and this looks pretty similar in color to those. I may still go with something on the fattier side to start just to be safe
fantomlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
MAT5243
Knows what a fatty is.

Definitely chilli with tri tip cubed ...
MAT5243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
cheez
Full Fledged Farker

If your chili is to be tomato-based, I would wait a while to cook it in that new dutch oven. Acidic foods such as tomato may be too much for the seasoning that it has now. I agree with the "something greasy" advice. Sausage or bacon, great. The fried chicken suggestion, also great. I have a well-used DO that I won't hesitate to use for chili, but again, it is well-used. One thing that I think helps to keep mine seasoned is that I occasionally deep-fry in it.

New Braunfels Bandera, 22.5" WSM, Weber Ranch Kettle, 5 or 6 other Weber Kettles, Party King tailgate grill, and a modded "pizza grill" that is falling apart.

Self-proclaimed President of the Canton, OH chapter, Weber Rescue Society.
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #19
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
It sure does! I love a fatty cut of beef and when we've run out of ribeyes, rib roasts, chuckeyes and the like, there's always an abundance of chuckies left in the freezer from our steer! BTW, yes covered. You can also just use powdered beef soup base in place of the Lipton if you don't want the rehydrated onions. The first time you try it, leave out the traditional potatoes, carrots, and onions. They put off so much liquid that it messes with the carmelization on the beef. I do mine in a separate CI pot with a soup bone for flavor.
decided to go with your suggestion. Did the chuckie in the DO, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips and some onion in a separate CI skillet, made gravy out of the drippings, and put it all back together at the end...it was fan-farking-tastic! definitely the best pot roast I've ever made. only problem is that I ate way too much, and now I've got to get my overstuffed self to work
no pr0n though...didn't realize the pic I snapped was blurry until way later maybe next time

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #20
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'd be happy to relieve you of your leftovers! Hate to see you get overstuffed twice! Did you sear it with oil first and go with the onion soup mix? How about time and temp. I should throw a chuckie in right now.....it'll be ready for breakfast!!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #21
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
I'd be happy to relieve you of your leftovers! Hate to see you get overstuffed twice! Did you sear it with oil first and go with the onion soup mix? How about time and temp. I should throw a chuckie in right now.....it'll be ready for breakfast!!
yep...seared it, then 275° for just a shade under 6 hours. tossed the veggies with the onion soup mix and a little oil before they went into the oven (they were in ~2 hours)

a little chuckie with some toast and a couple eggs over easy sounds like a really good breakfast!

Thanks from:--->