MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #61
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
110 volts, just like you. A white, black and bare copper wire. Hey, natural 3 way. Thought the tape was for something else. My bad.

^^^ This Lady Knows some Stuff! ^^^
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #62
caseydog

This should be an interesting weekend, if I get half drunk and baked.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #63
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Not an official entry

Oh well - I had good intentions but I was too much of a wimp to try pizza in the rain.

It was still a mighty fine BBQ Beer Chicken Veggie Pizza (Thanks Big Butz for the Nalpalm Sauce).

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #64
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
Not an official entry

Oh well - I had good intentions but I was too much of a wimp to try pizza in the rain.

It was still a mighty fine BBQ Beer Chicken Veggie Pizza (Thanks Big Butz for the Nalpalm Sauce).

Now that you've got your practice in, you'll have to share the perfected one you make.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #65
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Looks good just the same, Oldyote. I like there's lots of fixins and that you got a nice carmelization around the edge of the cheese. I love lots of veggies on my pizza, too.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #66
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Today was more cooperative

and I still had some Pale Ale dough left over from yesterday

My wife was disappointed that yesterday's pie was too hot for normal human consumption so for today's BBQ Pizza I mixed the grilled chicken with pineapple and my left over Devil's Cut Sauce.

I mixed up some Blues Hog and Sweet Baby Rays for the pizza sauce

Here is the new toy getting up to temp.

Finish off the Three Way Pale Ale BBQ Chicken and Veggie Pie

And throw it in. Well not exactly throw or slide it in. It was more of a force, curse and pray it in kind of thing but at least it all stayed together. I'm looking forward to the practice.

And finally the pie.

It turned out really good and the crust as I suspected turned out better with the higher temps.

Time to go for a walk.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #67
caseydog

Here is my official Half Drunken Three Way Challenge Entry. Rotisserie Chicken drunken gumbo (AKA Borscht).

First, I was drinking during every part of this cook. Check. I also gave a bottle of beer to the gumbo. Double-check.

Next, I have multiple three-ways going on. There is the Trinity -- onions, bell peppers and celery. I also have three meats, chicken, andouille and tasso. Triple check.

I started by cooking a whole chicken on the rotisserie the day before the gumbo cook.

I also made my roux ahead of time, so I could drink and cook, and not burn my roux.

On cook day, I started by chopping and sweating my trinity in a pot that would later prove to be too small. I also added a bunch of finely chopped garlic toward the end of the trinity sweating.

I added four quarts of organic chicken stock and my roux. This is when I realized I was going to need a bigger pot, so I dumped everything into my biggest stock pot. Much better. At that point, I added cayenne pepper and kosher salt and a bottle of Abita Turbo Dog.

While my broth boiled and incorporated the roux, I shredded the chicken meat. I prefer shredded chicken in my soups and gumbos over cut.

I then cut my homemade tasso into small cubes. Tasso is a flavoring agent, not a meat to eat by itself. It is also very hard to find outside of cajun country, but very easy to make.

My next meat three-way item was some andouille sausage. That was store bought. Sorry.

Once my broth was boiled enough to incorporate all the flavors, I dumped in my meats, and my okra. I put my okra in earlier than they say you should, because it takes all the "slimy" out of it. The only thing I add at the end of the cook is my fresh green onions.

Everybody is in the pool, so nothing left to do but let it simmer, and have another drink.

After a few hours of simmering magic, it is ready to serve with some white rice and a cold Abita.

It was an awesome meal for a chilly, rainy day. And, I had plenty to share with a few of my favorite neighbors.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #68
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Outstanding CD!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #69
N8man
Babbling Farker

Brined Drunken Chicken Quarters are what I cooked...
Started by making brine...

Ingredients include...
1 gal well water
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1 cup maple syrup
5 shots woooosssieee sauce
1 TBS yardbird
1 bunch trimmed green onion tops
3 chopped sprigs rosemary
heated on stovetop until the spices dissolved and it smells wonderful!!!!

Added 2 cups of "Special Spring Water" to that, once the brine cooled a bit..

Then added 15 pounds of Chicken Quarters and brined in the fridge
for 24 hours........

Getting the Stubby DrumPit ready to cook all that chickie goodness...

Made me a little Breakfast on the RedHead while the Stubby came up to temp...

Then it happened........the batteries go dead in my Camera....no cooking pix......

I put the batteries in the charger and went about cooking.....

I'm using Red Oak and Pecan Shells for the Smoke and cooked the chicken
for a little more than an hour @ 375-400* until 170* internal temp....

meanwhile batteries are charging.....

Everyone is eating their fill....

batteries still charging.....

Brined Drunken Chicken was a big success, moist, juicy, flavorful....

batteries are charged, finally!!!!...

Not exactly what I had envisioned for the Throwdown, but you
play the hand dealt.......so......
........My entry....

It really was very good Chicken......

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!

Last edited by N8man; 11-11-2012 at 07:44 PM..
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #70
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

It turns out that we were actually cooking chicken satay tonight. Had a nice walk with the family this afternoon and had just opened up a beer.

This one is almost two-years ripe. It's a shame to use such a precious commodity in a marinade, but you do what you have to do.

For me, the best part of satay is the peanut sauce.

This is during the simmer. It is made by sauteing an onion and two garlic cloves in about 1/4 cup peanut oil until wilted. We cheat here sometimes and use 2 tsp curry powder and 1 heaping tsp of rooster sauce and let that cook a couple minutes to mellow the flavors. Add half a cup (or more) coconut milk, then about 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter, 2 tbsp of lemon juice and 2 tsp of rice vinegar and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Then throw in a cinnamon stick and bay leaf, bring it to a boil, then simmer for 5-8 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf, put the rest in a food processor, and add 1/4 cup boiling water slowly to help blend it. Then taste it. If it isn't sweet enough, add honey. We usually make double batches and freeze. You can heat it up before you serve it and stir it up if it separates. It normally only separates if you heat it up in the microwave. A dab of boiling water and a quick whisk will bring it back together. I believe bay leaves are considered vegetables.

The chicken was grilled and I served mine on rice and well-garlicked green beans.

We make this a lot, but never before with the beer. I did not expect it would be that noticeable, but the chicken was exceptional. We'll have to try this experiment again. Now go out there and vote for N8's chicken.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #71
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

What a wonderful slew of last minute entries, guys!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #72
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Well, I really wanted to enter this one and I did some fine PP today low and slow. I could not in good con sense enter though because of the half drunk and chicken part. Broke one rule high and one rule low.

It's tuff being me.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #73
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill
Default Official Entry: SmokinAussie / Jonnie Rotisserie / Rhett "Auspit" Thompson 3 Way Drunken Thangy

G'Day Bruces

I'm running outta time for this, so I'll put in the pics now and elaborate later...

Well, the main thing is that last week, Myself, Jonnie Rotisserie and Rhett, owner of Auspit, all got together with the intention of participating in this throwdown! I got lotsa pics and some video's, so I will start off here.

If you watched all that, you'll know what a great time we all had. I've got a stack of photo's that I'll post soon in Q-Talk... But here's some finshing pics for the TD Entry...

TD Pic Below! Ummm I think!

Jonnie Rotisserie, Rhett and Chris.

It's been a long time since I had such a relaxing, friendly evening. Rhett and Chris are truly wonderful people, and it was also great to meet Jon, who really is a very switched on guy.

So, hopefully you can vote for us.. Our 3 way Chicken (and lamb) challenge, with Rotisserie Veggies and 3 different beers. I could not get 1/2 drunk, because I had to drive home, but Rhett and Jon made up for it!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #74
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Had to get in on the half-drunken three-way fun!!

Here's my thread in Q-talk on the Chicken Mole Enchiladas and Arroz con Familyman: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...78#post2269378

I assure you both the food and the cook were half drunken...

Some of the ingredients...

Some "in progress" pics...

Some plated pics of the arroz con pollo and chicken mole enchiladas. Both fully half drunken, and including beer, veggies and chicken!!

(entry pic)

Was a fun cook, for sure. Tasty, though the color of the chicken thighs didn't get me too excited.

Used my 50mm prime lens for the pics. That's sure fun to play around with. A great toy for under $100!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 AM   #75
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Default This is my official entry into the "Half Drunken Three Way Challenge" TD.

Please accept my official entry titled "Gluten-Free Three-Way Pie".

It's late so I'm posting this quickly. Just finished cooking about 90 minutes ago.

Thawed out some chicken thighs -- they are traditionally raised by the guy whose picture is on the package. Cool, eh? Used apple cider vinegar, onion & garlic powder, dill seeds, marjoram, black pepper and some Cool Runnings chicken seasoning.

Veggies are parsnip, carrot, mushroom, celery and red onion. Got them ready to smoke in their own pot.

Some nice Wellington County Dark Ale made in Guelph to get this party started.

Everyone into the smoker.

Saved the pan drippings/carmelization for gravy.

The gluten-free crust is made from brown rice flour, tapioca flour, cornstarch, apple cider vinegar, eggs, salt, xanthan gum and I substituted cold beer for the cold water.

I decided to make the pie pastry by hand instead of using the mixer. Found out that was exactly the thing to do.

Chopped up the chicken and veggies. That chicken tasted really good, will definitely make it that way again, pie or no pie.

I learned that I should roll the pastry dough thinner than the last pie so did that. Made two recipes to give me two double-crust pies -- rolled into four balls and into the fridge to firm up. The last two balls were too dry and crumbly so added a Tbsp of beer to each which fixed them right up.

Couldn't find CD's roux recipe where I thought I tucked it so googled proportions. Used beer for liquid, melted butter for fat and brown rice flour. Brown rice flour doesn't thicken as much as wheat flour so had to quickly add more to get the consistency I wanted. I put the rest of the beer and the liquid from the smoked vegetables into the chicken pan. Let it soak off while I was working on other stuff and then scraped and decanted into a measuring cup.

Divided the veggies and meat in half and switched their partners. Decided the thick gravy should be in the middle of the veg/meat mix so pulled half out, spread gravy and put them back in both pies.

Look at the twins getting their egg white wash! Could only bake one at a time, though.

The top came off when removing the first piece so I thought I'd take a picture with it off to show off the filling. Notice how thin and crispy the lid looks.

PLEASE USE THE PHOTO BELOW FOR VOTING.

This Three-Way Pie was a great success. The crust was so thin, light, buttery and crispy, it was just divine. The gravy made sure the filling stayed moist. The only thing I would rethink is using so much of the pan carmelization. Every once in a while there'd be a bitterish kind of flavour. I think I must have got some burned bits, maybe dill seeds, mixed in, next time I won't scrape the pan so well. The other thing I would do is put seasoning on the veggies. This pie crust is so good anyone would love to eat it, gluten-free or not.

Thanks for looking!
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote