Pellet Pooper use in rainy weather.

rick1201

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hello, I have been consdidering a Yoder YS480 or YS640 pellet pooper. It would be used out side with no cover and pretty much be stored out side covered. Was wondering about while using it a rainstorm pops up in the middle of a cook if I should be concerned about anything in regards to the electrical components be exposed to these conditions. Currently using a WSM 18 1/2 but looking for something slightly bigger. Dont have a problem going with a 22 1/2 WSM but I think I would enjoy the convenience of pellet pooper. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rick

I have a 640 and this has happened to me. It will mess with the electronics as it is running. I will turn it off and unplug it and if possible return to the cook. If you know there is a storm coming. You should cover it or wait until the storm blows through. I have been considering a small green house type structure to put over the smoker when the weather is threatening. I haven't found anything I like yet.

I have cooked with my 640 in the rain a few times, no issues here.

Got me a grill gazebo like this to keep my 640 out of the rain. It's metal and pretty sturdy.

hardtop.jpg

I would avoid ran if at all possible , pellets do not like moisture , they can plug up your auger , do you have a garage ?

When I had my YS640 I had a sudden DOWNPOUR happen in the middle of a cook and it got drenched. It performed just fine other than needed the grease bucket overflowed and made a nice greasy spot on my deck. It's obviously not a great idea, but it worked fine. And I mean it poured.

I've also had 1-2" predicted snow end up being 12" blizzards in the middle of the cook. The only issue with that was the air intake got a little ice on it and made the fan sound loud, but it still worked. However once the meat hit a wrapping point I did wrap it and finished it in the oven.

When I had my YS640 I had a sudden DOWNPOUR happen in the middle of a cook and it got drenched. It performed just fine other than needed the grease bucket overflowed and made a nice greasy spot on my deck. It's obviously not a great idea, but it worked fine. And I mean it poured.

I've also had 1-2" predicted snow end up being 12" blizzards in the middle of the cook. The only issue with that was the air intake got a little ice on it and made the fan sound loud, but it still worked. However once the meat hit a wrapping point I did wrap it and finished it in the oven.

Had? What happened?

Haven't had any issues in the rain. If it got bad enough, im not against finishing it in the oven.

I have my EZ up handy and if there is even a threat of rain I just put it up. Better safe than sorry. Did it for Sunday's cook. Didn't rain....

I have my EZ up handy and if there is even a threat of rain I just put it up. Better safe than sorry. Did it for Sunday's cook. Didn't rain....

An EZ Up is like an insurance policy. You have it but hope to not need it. :wink:

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice. I am kind of leaning towards sticking with the WSM or a BGE. Thanks again.

Rick

Rain is miserable on a cook regardless. We got a cloud burst on my block party cook Saturday. It would have been much worse with out the tent though i must say.

Back