• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Portable Camping Grill Ideas

bbqbull

Watching over us.
Reaction score
Me and wifey are going camping, looking for a small portable grill to cook on.

Any thoughts from you camping folks out there?

maybe a weber smokey joe? people seem to like those...

i guess what's your idea of "portable"?:?:

These are very portable.

shopping-cart-grill.jpg

Cheers,
Nate

I go camping alot and I always take my smokey joe platinum which are hard to find I would check e-bay. They are worth it. I also have a weber q 100 gasser which cooks very very well that is also great for camping. If its just you and the wifey I would just pick up a smokey joe silver that would do just fine for camping.

Thanks for the advice, found one on Amazon.com, its ordered.

With my crew a Smokey joe would get laughed at. I load the pick-up with just about every convenience known to man. I take my weber platinum if I have room, or the OTS 18.5 at a minimum...

Yeah....me too. There are 6 in my clan, so if we to camping, I still have to cook a lot. I take my OTS 22 1/2" all the time. Real portable IMO. I just put it in the back of the truck and throw a strap over the lid. I even keep the grill tools hanging on the hooks!

If it's just you and the wife though....Smokey Joe will get er done for ya.

SJP..........small enough to tote around and big enough to do indirect stuff. It's my go to camping grill. Before that it was little Sunbeam coal grill form Wally's, actually not a bad little grill for the money.

I picked up a Coleman Road Trip that I keep in the tent trailer. I know-its propane, but the times we used it we were cooking for 6-8 teens and adults. I've got the flat griddles and the grill inserts and it works very well and I actually enjoyed cooking on it.

I picked up a Coleman Road Trip that I keep in the tent trailer. I know-its propane, but the times we used it we were cooking for 6-8 teens and adults. I've got the flat griddles and the grill inserts and it works very well and I actually enjoyed cooking on it.

It is nice to have a propane grill for camping.. normally I cook on the campfire unless the rain is too bad then i fire up the propane under whatever tarp I have up.

As far as camping goes, it's always nice to have a gasser as well. The gassers are great when you need to cook ASAP, when the weather is bad, and also when there are fire bans and charcoal is prohibited. I like to have both just in case. My little Coleman propane grill and my cast iron griddle have saved me many a time when charcoal and camp fires were not permitted.

.........when charcoal and camp fires were not permitted.

Camping without a campfire just ain't the same is it? That's one of those essentials. I've never heard of a ban on charcoal! Is this 'cause of fire hazard I assume? Backcountry type places? Not parks or actual campgrounds surely?

Interesting....

Dutch ovens and spit roasting are our staples when camping, but also have a couple of cast iron griddles on top of turkey fryer burners for eggs, bacon and boiling water (potatoes, etc). But we're group camping and it's usually between 15-30 people n our camp.

Camping without a campfire just ain't the same is it? That's one of those essentials. I've never heard of a ban on charcoal! Is this 'cause of fire hazard I assume? Backcountry type places? Not parks or actual campgrounds surely?

Interesting....

No it's a common thing here in Texas at state parks and county parks. In times of drought they have burn bans meaning no open or camp fires including charcoal fires for some reason. During those times they only permit you to use a gas grill at campsites. Those times suck but just something you have to deal with. :cry:

Back