MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
hossrocks
On the road to being a farker

Default Meat only Bid!

Gotta request for bid today. Local airforce base is asking for bids to feed 1500-1750 guardsmen and family Aug 1st. They are asking for meat only. They have requested pulled pork. I'm figuring about $2500 in hard costs to get the meat rubbed, cooked and packaged. Should I stick to the x3 hard costs or drop it lower? I want this gig but I don't want to cut my throat. I't going to be alot of work. FYI, i'll be splitting the job with a fellow catering buddy.
[B]Kuna, ID[/B]
[URL="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com"]www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com[/URL]
Louisiana Grill - Whole Hog
Traeger 150
30x72 Reverse Flow Offset
16ft Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
12ft Full service Mobile Kitchen
hossrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I charge $8 per pound (cooked) delivered for pulled pork.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
BBQ Grail

You're going to need roughly 300lbs of cooks pork. (Probably lots of kids, so amount is lessened).

300 X $8.00 = $2,400.00

Where is your $2,500 in hard costs?

Even if you went with 1/4lb per person you'd need roughly 450lbs. That's roughtly 900lbs of raw pork. 900 X $1.29 per lb = $1,169.00 (I could get the pork here for $.99lb)

Maybe I'm missing something. Could you outline your costs a little for us?

Also, what would I charge? If this was a group of airmen and their families and the airmen were either leaving for Iraq/Afghastan or returning from I'd do it for the cost of the meat.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

If it were me (and it's not...) since it's a military bid, I would lower the cost to a near 0 profit... But, of course, I am not a caterer... yet...
Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
StrikeEagle
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
You're going to need roughly 300lbs of cooks pork. (Probably lots of kids, so amount is lessened).
Do NOT count on this. Yes, there will be some kids there, maybe even a lot of kids. HOWEVER, young military 'kids' (read Airmen) will EAT A TON, and more than make up for the light eaters that may attend.

Quote:
300 X $8.00 = $2,400.00

Even if you went with 1/4lb per person you'd need roughly 450lbs. That's roughtly 900lbs of raw pork. 900 X $1.29 per lb = $1,169.00 (I could get the pork here for $.99lb)

Also, what would I charge? If this was a group of airmen and their families and the airmen were either leaving for Iraq/Afghastan (sp) or returning from I'd do it for the cost of the meat.
I agree with 'donating' the food for this event. IMHO it's a good cause, a worthy recipient group and a great opportunity to earn some positive 'karma' in the community. Also remember that if you do this as a 'donation' you can write it off on your business taxes, and that will help you recoup at least some of your costs.

Support the troops and get some pics of the event.
StrikeEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

300 X $8.00 = $2,400.00

Also, what would I charge? If this was a group of airmen and their families and the airmen were either leaving for Iraq/Afghastan or returning from I'd do it for the cost of the meat.
Is it 1500 Airmen, or Airmen and families? May need to get a tighter count, but 900 to 1000 lbs of pork would be my number as well @ $1.29/lb = $1290.00. Approx 140 butts to cook, pan and foil. Allow for 15 gallons of sauce. Hard cost (without my time) would seem to be around $1600 - 1700. Add in plates, napkins, utensils, sterno and still seems like under $2k. (I would charge for costs only, and show my time at an hourly rate as a donation and Karma)
Old 05-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
CB
On the road to being a farker

All good thoughts -

maybe they can buy the meat at cost at the BX and you fellas tell them you'll do all the work for $x - then donate half of that back to them?

just an idea.
Silver & H2O Smokers
Double Chef Smoker
CB940X Charcoal Grill
The Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer
Big Easy Smoker-Roaster-Grill
Outdoor Stove-Top & Smoker
Rambler on-the-go! grill
CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Let me get this right...... Who is actually paying the bill? Is it the same folks that pay $400 for a toilet seat or hammer? I know how this works, they spend every sent they are authorized. If you don't get it Haliburton or someone like them will.

I would not cut the price, figure out what the meat costs, then add your profit. How many hours will this cook/preparation consume? I like to work on $1k a day profit. You will not believe the amount of work this cook is going to be. Work up a spread sheet and do your best to figure it out. I can send you one of mine, just ask. Then add 10%. Don't forget to add in the cost of wear and tear on your pit. Everything needs to be figured into the cost of a job. I have said many times on this forum, "if you lowball to get a job, then not only are you not making money, you are hurting the catering industry as a whole". That is why so many restaurants go out of business every year.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
Let me get this right...... Who is actually paying the bill? Is it the same folks that pay $400 for a toilet seat or hammer? I know how this works, they spend every sent they are authorized. If you don't get it Haliburton or someone like them will.
Just for the record this is not the Karma of which some of us spoke of.

If I was asked to cook for the Joint Chief of Staff or the Department of Defense I would charge and charge big.

We are talking about cooking for the Airmen and their families. You know the ones who often times can't afford a toilet. The ones who lay their lives on the line each and every day they go to work.

Or their families who stay behind and struggle to make ends meet, wondering each and every day if their spouse or father is going to come home safe. Or come home at all.

If you want to make a profit when you do this cook, I say good on you. If you want to do something for the people who keep us safe, I say great on you.

But to hold these 18, 19, 20 (or so) year old Airmen and their families responsible for the sins of their superiors or people who aren't even in the military is bad Karma.

(And just for the record Haliburton keeps you safe too!)

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

The Airman’s Creed
I am an American Airman.
I am a Warrior.
I have answered my Nation’s call.
I am an American Airman.
My mission is to Fly, Fight, and Win.
I am faithful to a Proud Heritage,
A Tradition of Honor,
And a Legacy of Valor.
I am an American Airman.
Guardian of Freedom and Justice,
My Nation’s Sword and Shield,
Its Sentry and Avenger.
I defend my Country with my Life.
I am an American Airman.
Wingman, Leader, Warrior.
I will never leave an Airman behind,
I will never falter,
And I will not fail.

E4 Airman Average Salary = $35,257

Not sure the pay balances the job description. It's never a bad thing to do something for someone willing to do the things we cannot or do not choose to do - Even at a discount. IMHO.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Did I step on my crank again? As I asked before, "Who is paying for this?"

All that said, my job allows me to spend this same tax payer money every day so I know where I am coming from. I wasn't trying to be cold or callous, I was just stating the facts. That money may or may not come out of special services funds.

I don't want to hear it about Haliburton either, lest you wish to be educated.

Like the man said, he doesn't want to cut his throat taking this job...... I say pay a man what he is worth!

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

[quote=tony76248;936240]Did I step on my crank again? As I asked before, "Who is paying for this?"

I agree with you on this. The government is paying for this, you should charge. They do not let us do anything for free. I understand who you are cooking for but it is not coming out of their pockets. I am very thankful for our soldiers and would cook for them of they needed food to survive for free. But if the government is willing to pay me for cooking for their employees, I will charge.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #13
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
Did I step on my crank again?
I'll vote for yes!!!

Haliburton, Haliburton, Haliburton, Haliburton.....

Email me for details.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
chambersuac

Whatever you decide, I pray that you get the job and a lot of hungry service men and women and family members are happily fed, which I bet they will be if you get the bid.
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossrocks View Post
Gotta request for bid today. Local airforce base is asking for bids to feed 1500-1750 guardsmen and family Aug 1st. They are asking for meat only. They have requested pulled pork...
Probably half of the people wearing the uniform today are being fed daily by for profit contractors.

They are asking for a bid for you to provide your product and services. You put you numbers together like you would for any organization that is that is looking to hire you. They're talking a lot of food and a lot of work; you have every right to make a profit.

Sure, you might donate your labor or reduce your mark-up for certain charity gigs, but the military is not a charity case.

Just my opinion...

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote