MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

Default best lump for canucks

I am going to be using lump for my wsm and I am looking for input on what other Canadians use. I live close to the border so I can go and order from the US, but would like to use a great quality Canadian brand.

I see one called maple leaf lump. Is that any good??

I may order the Royal Oak chef's select from the US that is a briquette but 100% hardwood.

Any input??
bosco0633 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Where abouts are you located in Ontario?

http://www.bbqs.com/charcoal-room-c-135.html Maple Leaf or Dragons Breath are pretty awesome.

You can also get Royal Oak at Canadian Tire or Superstore, they just had a great sale.

I also live close to the border and stock up in America at every major sale.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Costco and independent retailers carry Basques All Natural Lump. Its a really good product.

Checkout my new Cookbook on [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Qs-Barbecue-Recipes-Cooking/dp/0147529824"][B]AMAZON[/B][/URL]

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Life is too short for bad BBQ[/B][/SIZE]®[/CENTER]
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Q View Post
Costco and independent retailers carry Basques All Natural Lump. Its a really good product.
Haven't been able to locate that on the coast but hear good things about it.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
fatcliff77
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Q View Post

This stuff!^^ Our Costco in Sudbury carries the sugar maple. I buy a dozen bags at a time. I have also used the Dragon's Breath, which is a Hickory lump, but at Ontario Gas BBQ it's 23 bucks a bag! I pay 9ish for the Costco stuff.
fatcliff77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Big Kahuna
On the road to being a farker

I second what Diva Q says, Basque lump charcoal at Costco @ $12 a 17 lb bag cannot be beat. My shed is full. You have to pick it up soon as they will only have it in stock till the end of August. At least that's what happened last year. Good hunting.

Nondescript No Name No Warranty No Returns Cheap Kamado Clone
Brand New WiFi Stoker
22.5 Weber OTG
Broil King Sovereign Gasser
Weber Smokey Joe, converted to a Mini WSM
[COLOR=darkorange][B]Orange Thermapen[/B][/COLOR]
Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Maple Leaf lump kicks ass!

I'd use it all the time if I could get it here.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Maple Leaf Lump kicks ass x2!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Paulie
Knows what a fatty is.

Maple Leaf or Basques - you won't be disappointed!
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

found maple leaf lump at a local hardware shop. 18.99 for an 8 lb. bag. Going to buy 12 bags to stock up over the winter. I only want the best stuff, I really dont care about the money.

im not rich or anything, just dont care about this kind of stuff. If I am going to do it, I want it done right.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
Oldhoss
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco0633 View Post
found maple leaf lump at a local hardware shop. 18.99 for an 8 lb. bag. Going to buy 12 bags to stock up over the winter. I only want the best stuff, I really dont care about the money.

im not rich or anything, just dont care about this kind of stuff. If I am going to do it, I want it done right.
Maybe you mean 18.99 for 8kg? I say this because Rona sells 8kg or 17.6 pounds for 18.99:

http://www.rona.ca/en/charcoal-pieces

I have used Maple Leaf as well as the stuff Costco sells and I gotta say I did not really like them as much as Royal Oak Blue Bag Lump. Cost is not the issue it is heat level, taste and ease of lighting - Royal Oak wins on all 3. The fact that it sells for less is a bonus - Canadian Tire sells 17 some odd pounds for 14.99 regular price. The only thing I have used that is better than Royal Oak Lump is Nature's Grilling Harwood Lump (Canadian Tire but it is expensive at 6.99 for 8 pounds I think it is) or Big Green Egg Lump which is 29.99 for 20 pounds and made by the folks at Royal Oak. Walmart up here sells Nature's Grilling stuff for a more reasonable price than Canadian Tire but they do not sell the regular "Harwood Lump" only the Mesquite Lump....it is 7.99 for 10 pounds and worth it for steak. I keep some around at all times. Walmart also carries Nature's Grilling Briquettes at 7.99 for 16 pounds - a great product if you use briquettes....much better than other brands.
Oldhoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

yes sorry 8kg. my bad.

I have read so many reviews that say Canadian Maple is the best. I may have to experiment a bit to make it right

Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
TheBear
Full Fledged Farker

where are you located? We order a couple of times/year and get a good price on maple leaf lump. We usually order about 100 bags between the group of us. Message me if interested and near ottawa
TheBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Have you considered making your own? It IS the best.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
Wiess
Found some matches.

I use the Basques All Natural Lump from Costco and find it good, it gets very hot. I also used the Royal Oak lump when I run out of Basques.
Wiess is offline   Reply With Quote