Got a new knife set

venemous

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Found these on clearance at Sams a while back for $50. Was a little skeptical but for the price decided to give them a go. Turned out to be a heck of a deal. I'm very impressed with them.

VG10 core with a damascus overlay, convex ground edge, thin Japenese profile blades and handles, weighted very nicely and damn sharp out of the box. Nothing I'd want to use on bones or anything frozen, but I have heavier blades for that.

I'm hesitant to use my steel on them, I'm terrified I'll screw the edge up... but they have stayed nice and sharp so far without me touching them.

CAM00033_zpsc1e2aa3c.jpg

CAM00032_zps402413fa.jpg

CAM00031_zpsd35a0331.jpg

185719_zps2c88dc6b.jpg

that is a sweet set . Have them ground by a profestional . I do mine twice a year. it don't hurt to have it done that way even the pro cooks do

Do not use the steel on them, nor a pull through or belt sharpener. They will hold an edge fine if you work on wood or cellulose laminate boards. You will need to find someone familiar with sharpening these, either with stones or tapes. They look nice.

Do not use the steel on them, nor a pull through or belt sharpener. They will hold an edge fine if you work on wood or cellulose laminate boards. You will need to find someone familiar with sharpening these, either with stones or tapes. They look nice.

I only use them on my butcher block boards figured they are soft enough to not wreck the edge. I'm debating getting a good piece of leather to use as a strop, figure I won't ruin the edge that way but can still keep it aligned as needed.

Hardest part has been making sure my wife doesn't toss them in the dishwasher...

Your gonna love those I have a few knives with VG10 steel it is awesome stuff it holds a Super keen edge for a lOOOOONG time. Keep you fingers out of the way.

Bob, they are supposed to keep the sliced food from sticking to the blade. That dimple pattern is often mistakingly called a Granton edge, which might actually work to prevent sticking.

Nice score!!! I check the junk pile at Sams every time we go and never find a good deal

Indentations
Away from the edge, a knife most simply has either a rectangular or wedge-shaped cross-section (saber grind vs. flat grind), but may also have indentations, whose purpose is to reduce adhesion of the food to the blade. This is widely found in Japanese knives, and in the West is particularly found in meat carving knives, though also in knives for soft cheese, and some use for vegetables.

These indentations take many forms:

A Granton edge has air pockets along its side, as in this santoku-style knife.
Granton knives have semi-circular scallops ground into the edge that alternate on either side of the knife and extend from the edge to the middle of the blade. This design was developed and patented in 1928 by Wm.Grant & Sons Ltd[1] A similar design, kullenschliff (kulle is Swedish for hill (or -more likely- a misspelling of the German word "Kuhle" meaning "hollow" or "deepening"); schliff meaning "cut" or grind in German), has oval scallops (kuhlen) hollowed-out of one or both sides of the blade above the edge. The Granton design is normally found on meat carving knives but have recently appeared on other types of knives, especially Western variations of the Japanese santoku. The indentations require a certain thickness, so they are more frequently used on thicker, softer blades, rather than on thin, hard ones. The design of scallop-sided blades is an attempt to ease the cutting and separation of meats, cheese, and vegetables.
Urasuki is a common feature of Japanese kitchen knives.[2] While Japanese kitchen knives initially appear as a simple chisel grind (flat on the side facing the food, angled on the other), the apparently flat side is subtly concave, to reduce adhesion, and, further, the apparent chisel cut of the edge is actually a small bevel, as otherwise the edge would be weakened by the concave area above.

Back