Frozen Meats

ique

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I just dropped a cooler in YankeeBBQ's trailer (Thanks Steve) for the Royal.

In the cooler are 4 frozen solid briskets packed in there pretty tight.

The question is how long will they last before needing ice?

Thanks

Chris

how big are they? if they are the average 8 to 12 lbers then i would think 2 to 3 days if they were froze solid

Porkysbbq said:
how big are they? if they are the average 8 to 12 lbers then i would think 2 to 3 days if they were froze solid

Thanks, the briskets are in the 12-14 lb range

How good is the cooler? I'd guess around Wed. morning depending on the cooler and how warm the trailer gets. A couple years ago I had 4 cooked briskets, frozen solid in a 48 qt. Igloo with one 5 lb. bag of ice and they didn't thaw out until the 5th day.

Jorge said:
How good is the cooler? I'd guess around Wed. morning depending on the cooler and how warm the trailer gets. A couple years ago I had 4 cooked briskets, frozen solid in a 48 qt. Igloo with one 5 lb. bag of ice and they didn't thaw out until the 5th day.

Its a pretty good cooler. I duct taped the seam, I'm hoping they'll last 4 days.

Chris

Sounds good. Best of luck at the Royal!

It would depend on what "frozen solid" means.

Is it 20*F, or is it -20*F, or some place in between?

The starting temperature is going to affect time to thaw.

If you know the starting temperature, it would be good to check the temp. when you add ice and maintain the info for future use. Of course you would need to know the type fo cooler and approximate external temp. as well.

I'd say you're good 'til Wednesday, too. Ultimate test is when they start getting floppy it's probably time to ice 'em!

I'm printing off all the Brethren's spots from the "Royal" thread. I hope to get to meet you! and good luck!

Assuming a 12 pound brisket has about 2 pounds of water in it, and assuming the heat transfer from the ambient air is relatively constant as the brisket thaws (to a first approximation this is OK) then the energy required to thaw the brisket from an initial temperature is given by:

specific_heat_of_solid_water*mass_of_solid_water*(32F-initial_temperature) + specific_heat_of_fusion_of_solid_water*mass_of_solid_water

If you do the math, the energy required to completely thaw a brisket starting from -20F is about 409 kJoule. The energy required starting at +20F is 325 kJoule.

The energy required to increase the temperature of ice is much less than the energy to melt ice. Therefore, it's most important to make sure the brisket is completely frozen and to make sure you have plenty of ice in the cooler to suck up all of the heat transfer from the ambient.

smokinbadger said:
Assuming a 12 pound brisket has about 2 pounds of water in it, and assuming the heat transfer from the ambient air is relatively constant as the brisket thaws (to a first approximation this is OK) then the energy required to thaw the brisket from an initial temperature is given by:

specific_heat_of_solid_water*mass_of_solid_water*(32F-initial_temperature) + specific_heat_of_fusion_of_solid_water*mass_of_solid_water

If you do the math, the energy required to completely thaw a brisket starting from -20F is about 409 kJoule. The energy required starting at +20F is 325 kJoule.

The energy required to increase the temperature of ice is much less than the energy to melt ice. Therefore, it's most important to make sure the brisket is completely frozen and to make sure you have plenty of ice in the cooler to suck up all of the heat transfer from the ambient.

Right...What smokinbadger said.... I forgot my kJoule calculator.... (thanks smokinbadger !!)... I must have been out sick this day during HS science class...

I was thinking Wed/Thursday... Good Luck !!

smokinbadger said:

oiy... its too early in the morning for math like that. :icon_smil

WOW, from isotherms to kjoules, this place is starting to get pretty cool (pun intended)!

Now can you explain the difference between the 12 lb weight brisket and the 12 lb mass brisket? :biggrin:

timzcardz said:
Now can you explain the difference between the 12 lb weight brisket and the 12 lb mass brisket? :biggrin:

:icon_smil

Please don't! :lol:

Royal (was frozen meats)

Just received an update from the road. The brisket on top was mostly defrosted and the three below were still pretty well frozen. Pat (from I Smell Smoke) shuffled em for me and is keeping an eye on them.

So the answer to the question is 3 days no problem, a 4th day was a stretch.

There are so many folks helping us out so we can compete in KC. We have people loaning us cookers, EZUPs, procuring garnish, chauffering briskets....

Thanks in particular to Steve, Rod, Buzz and Ray (from the BWS forum), JimBobs Backwoods of KC, Eric (CowboyUP)...

Cant wait to get into KC and get Cooking

Chris

ique said:
Just received an update from the road. The brisket on top was mostly defrosted and the three below were still pretty well frozen. Pat (from I Smell Smoke) shuffled em for me and is keeping an eye on them.

Chris
Did he happen to check our meat while he was at it ?

Back