• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Going on a mission trip and feeding 200 people..How many turkeys?

GrillsGoneWild

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I will be on a church mission trip over Thanksgiving and one evening we will be frying up turkeys for about 200 people (families with kids) so I need to figure out how many turkeys we will need. I'm going to have a couple of deep fryers so I just need to time them out to have them done in time. Any input would be great.

i would figure at least 1 lb per persons, 200 lbs for 200 people. If ther are kids then that shold even out the second plate people... Oh yeah, any sides?

Good Luck!

1 lb. per person???? That seems like a lot. There are kids and there will also be sides being brought to include in the meal.

1 lb. per person???? That seems like a lot. There are kids and there will also be sides being brought to include in the meal.

1lb person seems like alot to me as well, but i have no experience catering. For our holiday family meals I plan on .5 lb max per person.

I notice your in Rockwall, I live in North Fort Worth, where is your mission trip to?

I thnk that would be one pound of turkey, raw, per person, but the time you get done with yield, removing moisture and bone, you are around 1/2 poiund per person, perhaps a little less.

You do know the safety precautions are no joke when deep frying a turkey, right?!?
Starting with they need to be 100% defrosted, no doubt.

Watch this little video, around the 2 minute mark shows what can happen if done wrong.
Alton Brown Fried Turkey 2/3 - YouTube

Well aware of the dangers from frying turkeys. I have done a bunch of them and am a volunteer fire fighter that has been called to those "I didn't know that" calls.

Our mission trip is to Brownsville to a church we are partnering up with there. It is a very small church and in a hispanic only area. The church is wanting to perform more outreach programs and we will be there to put on a sports camp for the kids during the day and a family enrichment seminar at night. Then on Wednesday night, have a Thanksgiving feast open for the public. It looks like we will be going with 6 fried turkeys (on three burners) and 4 spiral cut hams.

Well aware of the dangers from frying turkeys. I have done a bunch of them and am a volunteer fire fighter that has been called to those "I didn't know that" calls.

Our mission trip is to Brownsville to a church we are partnering up with there. It is a very small church and in a hispanic only area. The church is wanting to perform more outreach programs and we will be there to put on a sports camp for the kids during the day and a family enrichment seminar at night. Then on Wednesday night, have a Thanksgiving feast open for the public. It looks like we will be going with 6 fried turkeys (on three burners) and 4 spiral cut hams.

Thats awesome. :clap2: I wish you and your team a safe trip and I hope that you reach a lot of people.

Back