The "I like my grilled meats no longer walking" appreciation club

Right back atcha! :laugh:

I know you have never eaten chicken prepared to FDA regulations because of two facts
1) No chef would ever do it
2) The human mandible could not tolerate the strain!
:laugh:

Right back atcha! :laugh:

I know you have never eaten chicken prepared to FDA regulations because of two facts
1) No chef would ever do it
2) The human mandible could not tolerate the strain!
:laugh:

I can't even debate this one with ya buddy. I just look for an absense of pink in my chicken. Once juices run clear, it's edible.

If god had meant us to eat raw meat, he would not have made thoroughly cooked meat so yummy.

Question for you undercookers to ponder?

If undercooked meat is SOOOOO tasty, why do you do your que low and slow?

If you cooked low and fast, you would get some smoke on the outside, but the inside would still be nice and bloody....er juicy.

Any of you that hardcore?

I think you all wanna be on our team, you just are afraid to admit it.

If you cooked low and fast, you would get some smoke on the outside, but the inside would still be nice and bloody....er juicy.

I think your twisting things around a bit. The main purpose of BBQ is to take lower quality cuts that would be too tough cooked like a steak or rib roast, etc. and urn it into something wonderful. It has nothing to do with our preference for a certain degree of doneness. Trying to relate that to a preference for "undercooked" (as you put it) just isn't a fair comparison.

its seems you are either trolling or dont' have much of an understanding of meat quality.

Your parents love you. They will probably choke down anything you serve with a smile. :boxing: That's what parents are for.

they don't love me that much. my dad told my mom the other day, "i've wasted all these years ruining meat"

Beef:
NY Strip and Rib Eye (Medium Rare or even Pittsburgh when you can find someone that knows what it is and how do to it properly)
Filet and T-Bone (Medium Rare)
Prime Rib (Medium, but not usually grilled)
Most other beef cuts as steak or hamburger (Medium Well)

Fowl (depends on how eating it, straight up just barely done is my favorite, but cooked to oblivion and falling apart in many dishes can be awesome too)

Fish (depends on the fish; for example I love sushi and sashimi, and tuna when not eaten raw and is still fresh is best RARE, love it fried [tough to beat a fried grouper poboy], blackened redfish is AWESOME, etc.)

Pork (cooked completely; which means NOT grilled. A loin can be best done at around 140 degrees, butt's, shoulders, etc. more in the range of 205 degrees, and ribs I like them pull cleanly from the bone, so that's probably around 185 degrees)

Deer (I usually dont care for it grilled, but just the right cut, all the fat removed and all the blood drained, medium rare can be awesome, but I prefer it cubed and fried or made into an almost fatless hamburger used in chili)

Bison (dont care for it much, otherwise see Deer above)

Possum (I dont but some do)

Squirrel (refer to Possum)

Neighbors Cat (best grilled slowly to medium well, with tandoori seasonings)

Neighbor [after he's pi**ed-off that you cooked his cat] (refer to Pork above)

^^^ point of note: I AM in the shadow of where they filmed "Fried Green Tomatos", and trust me, 'round here, The Secret IS In The Sauce

Last edited:
Beef:
NY Strip and Rib Eye (Medium Rare or even Pittsburgh when you can find someone that knows what it is and how do to it properly)
Filet and T-Bone (Medium Rare)
Prime Rib (Medium, but not usually grilled)
Most other beef cuts as steak or hamburger (Medium Well)

Fowl (depends on how eating it, straight up just barely done is my favorite, but cooked to oblivion and falling apart in many dishes can be awesome too)

Fish (depends on the fish; for example I love sushi and sashimi, and tuna when not eaten raw and is still fresh is best RARE, love it fried [tough to beat a fried grouper poboy], blackened redfish is AWESOME, etc.)

Pork (cooked completely; which means NOT grilled. A loin can be best done at around 140 degrees, butt's, shoulders, etc. more in the range of 205 degrees, and ribs I like them pull cleanly from the bone, so that's probably around 185 degrees)

Deer (I usually dont care for it grilled, but just the right cut, all the fat removed and all the blood drained, medium rare can be awesome, but I prefer it cubed and fried or made into an almost fatless hamburger used in chili)

Bison (dont care for it much, otherwise see Deer above)

Possum (I dont but some do)

Squirrel (refer to Possum)

Neighbors Cat (best grilled slowly to medium well, with tandoori seasonings)

Neighbor [after he's pi**ed-off that you cooked his cat] (refer to Pork above)

You left out one there Hance.:p

Perhaps I forgot more seafood:

Oysters (RAW baby, but a good oyster roast is nice, and a fried oyster poboy done right is tough to beat)

Shrimp (even sushi will cook 'em; like chicken, lightly done is best)

Ok, Guerry, what did I miss?

Lamb, Dog. Lamb. :becky: Or, maybe you just don't like it?

I'm trying to think if I've ever had it... I'm a food adventure seeker (not bugs n stuff though), and I dont know that I can remember ever having it... I forgot one:

snails (grilled like shrimp, lightly done) And I DONT MEAN SLUGS

What i find interesting is that it isn't blood. The blood in any animal (including us) is carried in the veins and arteries. There is very little blood in the meat itself. Red meats, such as beef, contain a lot of water. The water mixes with a protein called myoglobin, and ends up as the red liquid that most folks think is blood.

Hi!

I sit corrected. Makes sense, blood is in the veins, not the tissue. Doesn't change how I feel, though. There's so much food it the world to be adventurous with I can live without the adventure of trying to desensitize myself and eat non-blood bloody steak with a texture that feels so gross I gag on it because chewing it feels worse. I love the taste and texture of well-done steak, it makes me happy, makes my mouth happy and my joy spreads to everyone around me. Looks like that's one thing about me that doesn't need to be fixed.

:wink:
Guess you could save a lot of money this way. No need for a silly grill or other equipment.

All you need to do is put your meat on a piece of tin foil outside....turn after 10 minutes to warm the backside....done.

A fly net may be a nice touch.:shocked:

If I did that, I couldn’t get the sear that I like. The sear keeps the flys away :wink:

You and Wv smoke should go out sometime. You would make a nice couple.:becky:

Sorry, I’m married…to a woman who belongs in your club, and yes, I cook hers the way she likes it, medium to medium well.

Q’ing low and slow has nothing to do with eating a steak rare. I don’t eat everything that way. Pork is medium to well done, chicken is well done, and I don’t eat raw fish. I do eat squirrel med rare, as well as deer and rabbit. What it all boils down to is: when you say rare, I think steak. And yes, I love my steak quivering and with the slight trace of a pulse. :thumb:

Originally Posted by tortaboy

BECAUSE, grilling is hot and fast and best used with good tender cuts of meat that are nicely marbled. Barbecue is the art of taking really crappy cuts of meat, the ones given to slaves (ala. NOT high on the hog), and to render the fat so as the meat is moist and tender, and to do this you must cook low n slow. This, my friend, is called BARBECUE, and has nothing to do with grilling. Didn't I make that point to start with? I would suggest that before you go off making more of an *** of yourself you actually read a little about the definition and history of barbecue. THEN, learning how to take that crappy cut of meat and turn it into a succulent piece of barbecue so good you'll "slap yo mama" is another thing altogether. It's taken me 20 years+-, but I think I finally have most of it down. It took LOTS of practice and frankly throwing away a few hundred dollars of meat along the way.

Not tender. Extremely tough, and not juicy at all. Tell you what, try this yourself. You might actually learn why grilling and barbecue have little or nothing to do with one another.

Last edited:
I can't even debate this one with ya buddy. I just look for an absense of pink in my chicken. Once juices run clear, it's edible.

If god had meant us to eat raw meat, he would not have made thoroughly cooked meat so yummy.

Yup, you're trolling because you're cherry picking.:boxing:
Can't have it both ways tortaboy, and can't hide by taking the position that you are the interpreter for a benevolent deity:crazy:
You quote conditions and temps that you think mean safety because that is what you believe learned from some authority body and not experience, yet you eat chicken according to another completely contrary belief.:doh:
You've never heard of cerviche, escabeche, carpaccio, tartare,sashimi,poulet de bresse, toriwasa,gyu no tataki, basashi but you still think you have a case for deriding other peoples more informed decisions and choices?:crazy:
Naaah, you are trolling bro.
Credit where credit is due, you got a lot of attention for an insecure wood eater!:wink::laugh:!:becky::becky:

Last edited:
The proteins , myoblobin and H2O in meat is not blood, and the only time I have experienced that metallic taste is when I taste my own fresh blood.
Now THAT is blood.

Hi!

I had to think back to the time I had that metallic taste when eating non-blood bloody meat. I think it's the time I went to a posh restaurant and ordered a venison tapas. It grossed me out as all get out but like the trooper I am I tried it anyway. Even my partner couldn't eat it oozing that way but our dog loved it! I think it looked close to one of the first two steak pictures that was posted earlier in this thread. Maybe I was tasting buckshot, I don't know. That's the only piece of meat I ever tried to eat pulled that early from cooking, was almost just seared and then pulled it off after a short pause. I can't say that I've ever had the metallic taste in a steak that just had pink, though. I don't eat short-cooked meat often, I already know I don't like it, but sometimes I have to prove I'll try it or I do to save someone's feelings. I think I should think of my own feelings from now on, especially if I asked for well done and they try to sneak less done in. I'm giving them the wrong message by choking it down or sneaking it on to someone else's plate. It's amazing how many people invite me over and look or talk upset when I ask for my steak well done. I say, if you don't want to cook a steak for a guest you've invited for dinner the way they like it, don't serve steak. There's lots of other things to eat. I don't serve well done roast beef when I invite those people over because they will be unhappy with the food in front of them. I'd rather have fun together, drink (etc.) too much and serve something that makes everyone feel fantastic. Life's too short to create problems that don't need to exist. I'd rather party.

Hi!

I sit corrected. Makes sense, blood is in the veins, not the tissue. Doesn't change how I feel, though. There's so much food it the world to be adventurous with I can live without the adventure of trying to desensitize myself and eat non-blood bloody steak with a texture that feels so gross I gag on it because chewing it feels worse. I love the taste and texture of well-done steak, it makes me happy, makes my mouth happy and my joy spreads to everyone around me. Looks like that's one thing about me that doesn't need to be fixed.

Hi Kathy!
I read the post you made after this one but thought quoting this may be more useful to you.
Look at the language you have used and the way you used it and it is all right there in front of you, you are onto it.
This is about perception, emotional negative judgement and you wonder in the following post about the taste and how come it happened that time but not others.
The mind is a powerful thing, and it is very hard to overcome perceptions....and you don't have to if you don't want to.
I think the point I am making by posting here is that it isn't cool to shove your views onto someone else when those views are not any more valid. And you don't do that.
So, on that point I want to say that I support you 100 percent on your right to get the steak cooked the way you ordered it at a restaurant...and you have every right to send it back and also to question the integrity of an establishment that can't...or worse IMO...won't cook food to the desired doneness a customer wants.
Outrageous behaviour. They are now assuming the position of deciding how a customer should enjoy their food??
Not on.

Same at a friends house for dinner, I feel your pain but that is tricky isn't it, because we are under a social obligation to be a good guest.
Australians in general grill food till it is extraordinarily overdone, or at least that was a 'BBQ' when I was growing up.
I have eaten thousands of meats that I just hated.
All because I was taking the hosts feeling into account. I found so many excuses not to go to BBQ's :wink:
So that is my call on myself.
I won't show a host that I am not pleased, but for me that is easy because I am operating from a desire point of view.
For you, it is overcoming an emotional reaction of "Gross-gagging-disgust' and none of that is preference.
Do you see what I am getting at?
Geez, I hope I am coming across in the right way and being perceived as wanting to help.

Back