THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
I am reposting in new thread as 1st post did not show up as new post from last night. Hope this is okay.

I could use your input.

Hello all, I am getting started on building my own UDS. I have read thru a couple others UDS threads. Some answers to a few questions I have had been discussed.

I am still not clear on a few.

Drum is brand new $40.00

Have access to 4 - 3/4 ball valves (father in law retired plumber)

What has everyone found, is it better to have 4 intakes opened slightly for even heat or would 1-2 be good enough?

What about extending the intake pipe to the top for ease, does the unit draw as well?

Depending on the fire grate and ash catcher has anyone extended the intake pipes in towards the center of the drum, rather than just a couple inches?

It seems to me centering the exhaust would help draw the heat more evenly over the cooking grates.

I do have a old Weber lid but I tried it and it looks like it would work but would blow off if a wind came up. It just sits on the rim, so close.

Lastly, just let the ash fall into the bottom of the drum from the fire basket or would that burn out the bottom. I am still working on some way to build a basket without the need for welding. I am having a hard time on that one. :confused: Any advice? I see some go to HD for expanded metal, I looked and could not find it here.

BTW this forum has a bunch of great info already on the UDS. Can't wait to get started.

Thanks! :grin:

Back