MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Hozman
Take a breath!

Default Do you do comp and have cater business?

Do you have a catering business and use the same business name as your team name for comp bbq? Since you are representing your company at the comp are you allowed to write off what you buy/use at the comp on your business taxes?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
Do you have a catering business and use the same business name as your team name for comp bbq? Since you are representing your company at the comp are you allowed to write off what you buy/use at the comp on your business taxes?

My tax professional has told me to write off my comp expenditures. If it does not work, I will let you know

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
GQue
Full Fledged Farker

Yes and Yes...

The way my accountant explained it to me is you have seven years to make money if you dont the IRS will consider it a hobby and not a for profit business, thus not allowing you to deduct things like trailers, pits, supplies, freezers, refrigerators etc.

Last year was my first full year and my accountant allowed me to deduct all the things mentioned above.
Memphis Pro
Gasser
Weber 22
CBJ #52802

Learn easy and effective tricks on the grill and smoker at my you tube channel:
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQGQue"]https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQGQue[/URL]
GQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQue View Post
Yes and Yes...

The way my accountant explained it to me is you have seven years to make money if you dont the IRS will consider it a hobby and not a for profit business, thus not allowing you to deduct things like trailers, pits, supplies, freezers, refrigerators etc.

Last year was my first full year and my accountant allowed me to deduct all the things mentioned above.
same here but we were told 5 yr's. everything for comps is considerd marketing for the catering

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Yes. What BBS says. So says my tax pro as well.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
BasicPatrick
Full Fledged Farker

you guys that are set up and deducting comp expenses; are you set ups as LLC or other type of business?
Yoder YS640 & Traeger Texas 075
26.75 Weber OTG & 22.5 WSM
Camp Chef Pro 60
Wicked Pissah Super Fast Basic Blue Thermapen
30' Puma Palomino Toyhauler & 10' SGC Cargo Trailer.
NEBS, KCBS, KCBS CBJ, KCBS CTC, ICP
"Rub Some Sunshine on Your Face"--Richard Pryor
BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Ulcer Acres
Full Fledged Farker

But, if they declare it a non-profit business they can go in reverse and then you cant declare it as an expense
Backwoods Fatboy
Large Big Green Egg
[URL="http://www.twyfordbbq.com"]www.twyfordbbq.com[/URL]
Ulcer Acres is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

We are a profitable catering business with sales in the $000,000's and tax exempt purchases that run around 40% of sales, more or less. You do need to be cognisant that your marketing / comp expenses as a percentage of total sales don't raise any red flags. We are also blessed to have a few sponsors, so we include that and winnings as contest income. For ease of record keeping, get yourself 1 credit card and use it for everything business related and nothing else. Pay it off every month. I do know those that use CASH for everything (I'm not one of them), but then that makes this whole dissertation a moot point.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQue View Post
Yes and Yes...

You mean you have to do it for 7 years BEFORE you can claim it as a "for profit" business or that if you end up doing it for less than 7 years you're at risk of getting nailed for deducting?

Old 04-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
You mean you have to do it for 7 years BEFORE you can claim it as a "for profit" business or that if you end up doing it for less than 7 years you're at risk of getting nailed for deducting?
Basically if you don't claim a profit after the first 7 years are up the IRS will declare your "business" a hobby and stop allowing you to deduct things on your taxes on year 8 and up.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
GQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
Basically if you don't claim a profit after the first 7 years are up the IRS will declare your "business" a hobby and stop allowing you to deduct things on your taxes on year 8 and up.
Correct - he explained this is very common with horses - People will buy horses and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on them and they will try to race them every now and then to use it as a business expense - the IRS set that guideline to create a point where you can no longer allow the deductions.
Memphis Pro
Gasser
Weber 22
CBJ #52802

Learn easy and effective tricks on the grill and smoker at my you tube channel:
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQGQue"]https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQGQue[/URL]

Last edited by GQue; 04-06-2012 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: hooked on phonics didnt work for me
GQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Does any one do this with a pure comp team, no catering business? My understanding is that as a hobby, you can deduct only as much as your revenue or income, but as a business, you can deduct losses above your income within the timelines mentioned above. Deducting all expenses would be great, but since I don't really cater, I wonder how legal that would be.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote