MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
plethoraofpinatas
On the road to being a farker

Default WSM Temperature Control Problems

Over the weekend I participated in a charity competition and I was having some serious problems with temperature control. Please give advice!

Normally I cook chicken and ribs on my bullet smokers (22.5in WSM and 18" ProQ) and I have my schedule figured pretty well to minimize the number of times I have to open or close the smoker. However, for this comp I was cooking pork shoulder, pork ribs, chicken quarters, ABTs, and Moinks. Due to the varying cook times for each dish and the large amount of food I served, I had to open the smoker 2-3 times more often than normal. The result of this was that i burned through twice as much charcoal (good thing I brought extra!) and had unexpected temperature spikes, one time up to 350 degrees (I normally smoke at 230-250).

After some quick searching on this board, I attribute the temp spikes to my overloading the WSMs with charcoal and getting too many coals burning at once. I started with the coal basket overflowing because I wanted to minimize the number of fuel reloads I would have to do since I would be cooking for 15+ hours. I used the Minion Method and poured ~15 pieces of ashed-over lump at one end of the basket. I used Cowboy Lump.

Can a WSM not handle 15+ hours of cooking with multiple rounds of servings? By this I mean we served pulled pork at 2pm and 5pm so I put one pork shoulder on at 2am and one at 4am. We served ribs every two hours from 1pm to 5pm, so I staggered the timings for each batch. We served ABTs and Moinks every 1.5-2 hours.

I wonder if I'm overworking this type of smoker? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Coming soon! - Oyler 700
Lang 60 Deluxe
22.5" WSM (x2), 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTS
Char Griller Smoker Pro w/ SFB, reverse flow mod
plethoraofpinatas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Everytime you take the lid off of the WSM you are allowing a whole bunch of fresh air to get in, and it will affect your temps.

Cowboy lump also has a reputation of burning hot and not lasting long. It is believed (by some) to be because it is predominantly made from kiln dried lumber (furniture and flooring scraps) instead of plain old wood straight from the tree.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
NorCal Q Man
Full Fledged Farker

I'm also thinking it may be your charcoal. I use "natural" briquettes, and my temps recover very quickly with lid liftings.

WSM 22.5"
Weber Genesis
NorCal Q Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
plethoraofpinatas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Cowboy lump also has a reputation of burning hot and not lasting long. It is believed (by some) to be because it is predominantly made from kiln dried lumber (furniture and flooring scraps) instead of plain old wood straight from the tree.
Wow, I never knew that! That's interesting because I believe it is written on the Cowboy Lump bag that it is "kiln-dried to last longer"

Coming soon! - Oyler 700
Lang 60 Deluxe

Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

One thing you can do to help cut down on the temp spikes is to shut down all three lower vents a few minutes before you lift the lid. Unless you have some big leaks in your access door, this should limit the flow of air through the smoker while the lid is off.
Keep the three vents closed after closing the lid and only open them when you are sure any spikes have settled down.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I started out with Royal lump and found that it burned out and fast. I switched over to Kingfords blue bag charcoal and it works great (lots of ash though). I can get about 12 hours out of my 22.5" WSM on a full charcoal ring with a full chimney lit on top(minion method) cooking at 225. I might be able to push it a little longer if I go with 15 coals (around half a chimney) instead of a full chimney.

I know a lot of people say lump is better for Q but I honestly can't taste the difference (as long as you don't go with lighter fluid or match lit).

I think 15+ hours on a 22.5" might be hard to pull off - especially with opening it several times. I have heard of the 18.5" pulling off those times but never the 22.5.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
plethoraofpinatas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
I think 15+ hours on a 22.5" might be hard to pull off - especially with opening it several times. I have heard of the 18.5" pulling off those times but never the 22.5.
I was able to get over 10 hours out of a full basket on the 22.5". Once the temps continued to drop with all three vents completely open I took the WSM apart, pushed the remaining lit coals to one edge and reloaded the rest of the basket. I was able to complete the cook and had a few hours to spare before the coals died again.

Coming soon! - Oyler 700
Lang 60 Deluxe

Old 08-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
atvalaska
Knows what a fatty is.

want to see a wsm get hot...remove the door (3/4 of a-ways thur a butt cook) and come back 15+ mins latter to a water oil pan fire! thats hot..........