2 new firsts on the smoker for me today....pics included :)

K

Kevin Garceau

OK so I got a pork loin rubbed and resting in the fridge. I have never done a loin on the WSM and will be reading some topics this morning.

I do alot of brined chicken on the grill but never on the smoke. So going to be reading up on that today as well.

Pork is rubbed and resting, brine is now cooling and will get the thighs in soon.

The loins are small, I dont suspect they will take alot of time.

2-21-10Porkloinrubbed.jpg

For pork loin I like to cook hotter, at least 275, which would also work well with the thighs. I take my pork loin to 145 and then rest under a tent of foil for 20 minute before slicing. Thighs I take to 165 or 170 internal.

thats kind of what I was thinking 275-300 for either.

then get the skin of the thighs over the coals to crisp it some if needed. But I can always turn it up while the loin is resting

Im starting salivate - I love chicken thighs on the grill from my simple brine. So looking for an additional flavor profile.

Forgot to add....I picked up some Naan bread garlic flavor. Wife likes it. I dont eat much for carbs so who knows.

Will be interesting with a nice smoke flavor. It wont be on for very long so it may not pick up any at all. Will put it on at the end.

alright...chimney is lit, coals in bottom of WSM

But I added a twist. I decided to stuff one of the loins. I really had no idea what I was doing, I had seen many using blue cheese which I dont have. So I used cream and cottage cheese, I mixed that together with some italian seasoning. Who knows????

Chicken in brine awaiting that sweet sweet smoke

Chickenbrine3-21-10.jpg

My attempt at stuffing a loin. Obviously cutting this takes a little bit of practice, eh....it worked.

stuffedloin3-21-10.jpg

1330 hrs and they hit the grill......

3-21-10.jpg

by 1342 I started closing down vents as it was at 262 already....going to shoot for 275-300

1330 hrs and they hit the grill......

3-21-10.jpg

by 1342 I started closing down vents as it was at 262 already....going to shoot for 275-300

Well 65 mins into the smoke and pork is already at 135 degs. Getting done much quicker than I hoped, wife not home yet. Oh well more for me I guess.

And the wife just pulled in. I did forget the fresh Parmesan crust though, added it fifteen mins ago don't know if will give the desired effect. More pics to come.

Wasnt too bad...I screwed up the chicken skin though. Got it too done. Flared up and bam....too late. Oh well, skin bad for me anyways :)

Here some pics

Just coming off

Picture001.jpg

Naan bread - wife loved the little extra smoke flavor

Picture002.jpg

Ready to eat..... the stuffed one really didnt add anything to the loin itself. But it was pretty tasty to use the loin to mop it up.

Picture003.jpg

Looks good from here.I can smell it too_OH no thats mine burnin.I did some thighs today,chicken and turkey.

Looks pretty good to me.... Love the Naan bread as well. This is the second best way to do it... Best way is on a tandoor.... like not many of those about in a backyard.

Pics came out kinda bad...sorry about that. The loin had a nice smoke ring.

I had this brilliant idea to firm up the skin some. I took the WSM top half out and set a grate right on the coal rack. I figured just a few seconds and I was good to go. Got it on there with my fingers and realized my tongs were back in the house....dammit. I cant reach for it as its flaring up.

Huge lesson learned. I was getting greedy I could have just done them on the low rack with the pan out like I had planned. But NOOOOOOOO I go swing for the fence.

Well on the plate you are looking at the back side of it. On the grate...well thats before I tried to firm it up. Couldnt leave well enough alone. First shot at thighs on the smoker and lesson learned.

It tasted great though....thanks guys.

Nice thing about the thighs was a pretty short cook. Although I wasted alot of kingsford as its still going strong. Another lesson learned.

Back