Pork Presentation Question

grindstaff3

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We were working on our pork boxes last weekend and thought that a way to add some flavor and presentation would be to squirt some sauce with a ketchup style bottle on top of the meat. Not pooling or puddling but just a presentation style squirt. Would that be illegal? I wasn't sure if it would be considered identifying the box? If so, how to most people add some sauce/flavor to the meat that doesn't have bark.

Thanks

We try and "paint" with a little sauce on the face of the meat... Many teams will apply a very thin coat of sauce to the top of the slices... I'm not sure if what you are asking is considered "marking", but I would be careful with how you apply the sauce as so its not "identifiable" at a judges table.

Ya, I didn't want it to come across as marking, but we were trying to think outside the box on presentation, instead of just putting a pile of plain ol' pork in the box. When you talk about slices, is that was the hot thing is now? We are doing our first comp in august and have never experience competitive cooking.

Slices I think are just a personal preference for us... We seem to score better than when we turned in just pulled. You should look at some of the pics on here and see what I am talking about with slices. I would attach a pic, but I only store them on my hard drive... Do you have time to go to a contest b4 then one in Aug? My suggestion would be to talk with some teams at different contests and form your own likes and dislikes. And meet some fine folks too!
I hope this helps!

Back