MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #31
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

maybe there is a little funk in all of us

i'm definately going to make my next brisket a salt and pepper brisket.

i'm sure this is a loaded questions, but how much is too much Clinton and Grahmn? don't want to over do it, but don't want to skimp either.

please help with the funk! thanks in advance.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #32
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't use sugar in my brisket rub either and I have been getting awesome results using the tri-level rub.

Side note: I used some butt glitter sprinkle on some brined chicken today and the ladies tore it up!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #33
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
I don't use sugar in my brisket rub either and I have been getting awesome results using the tri-level rub.

Side note: I used some butt glitter sprinkle on some brined chicken today and the ladies tore it up!
Thanks Neil

I will say this about my rub... there's some Don Cornelius Seed in it. Brush and brush, those little devils won't get entirely outta your mouf until you use a waterpic.

Days later I will pick out a tiny seed and the flavor of Don Cornelius Pops out. Of course when you taste the rub all at once you can't tell Don is there... but when that little seed comes out later... you know at least THAT is in it.

I thought you didn't like the Tina Turner in my rub Neil? Thought "it doesn't bring much to the table" (according to my records of our conversations).

My rub was designed to give more background to my stuff, I add more salts for beef, sugars (late) for ribs at times. Or pepper.

I could START A ****E WAR and say that certain championship Qers we may or may have not talked about purposely leave out correct salt amounts in their rub for this reason... the salt they add INFORMALLY will then set their same exact rub you may be using into another world.

For instance.... I noticed this once with a Mikeska Recipe that Bobby Flay videod then put on the site. The quantities are completely different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_30Ne8q64k

I have seen Milroy's do it too.

Neil, you like it now HUH?

Now SOMEBODY ASKED ABOUT BALANCE OF LARRY TO SALT.

Don't use fine grains of salt when doing this.... (just salt and pepper I mean)
Rubbing in this case is encouraged!!! Ignore that pesky pore's argument. How should you rub.... Imagine you are trying to use sand to rough up the surface of a piece of wood. Rub it into all those crevices.

Hee hee hee

Ratios.... I have never made a brisket too salty using coarse salts. even at 2 to 1

Okay... here I post again

http://www.roadfooddigest.com/post/2...ler-Clips.aspx

Old 02-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #34
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

NEIL when you gonna introduce that Fried Chicken Dust and Love Gravy recipe I sent you last year?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #35
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Rule # 12 from my Ramblings Of A Briskateer is:

Never use sugar in your brisket rub .... I was taught not to use a sugar based rub, and that is one thing I have stuck with.

So, I know for sure I didn't have any sugar on it.....I can't say for sure what I used on that particular brisket but I can tell you this.....My choice of seasoning is very basic and I apply it 2 or 3 hours before cooking. I've never actually measured the amounts. (although recently, I've been getting some pointers as to the ratio from a guy in the know ) As a minimum seasoning I use fine grind canning or sea salt, coarse black pepper, and cayenne. (if this is mixed ahead of time and stored in a Mason jar something special happens, it's better than just sprinkling on the ingredients separately). Adding granulated garlic and sometimes granulated onion (my favorite being the toasted granulated onion from Penzey's) is the next option.

My next choice for seasoning is a Smokey Hale mixture of

1 cup coarse sea or kosher salt
¼ cup granulated garlic
¼ cup granulated onion
1/8 cup ground thyme
1/8 cup ground bay
1/8 cup black pepper
1/8 cup celery seed
1/8 cup Hungarian paprika
Thanks Wayne...what pit do you use and what temps do you smoke your briskets...if I may ask? I'm very interested in trying your above mentioned rub. I'm not a big fan of sweet when it comes to beef and your rub sounds right up my alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I don't wrap. I don't mop. bUT i DO REST. My Bark looks the same... Thanks to Thirdeye's tip my ring looks the same too. I have no digital cam and the resolution on my video is not good enough. In essense, thirdeyes bark I use because its a good sample and A GOOD PHOTO.
Got it...thanks Funk...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #36
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Thanks Wayne...what pit do you use and what temps do you smoke your briskets...if I may ask? I'm very interested in trying your above mentioned rub. I'm not a big fan of sweet when it comes to beef and your rub sounds right up my alley.
I start all briskets off with a low temperature fire, 200° if I can hold it. Pecan is my wood of choice. After a couple of hours I ramp up the pit temp to 225°-240° and usually finish around 250° or 275°. In my BDS I start fat side down for 2 hours, turn fat side up for 3 or 4 hours, turn fat side down until finished. On my Big Green Egg, I use an indirect set-up and cook fat side down for the entire cook.

When I inject them, I use:

1 can beef broth
2 to 3 teaspoons of beef soup base, paste form (this must be to taste as the strength changes from brand to brand)
1 or 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #37
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Thanks Neil

I will say this about my rub... there's some Don Cornelius Seed in it. Brush and brush, those little devils won't get entirely outta your mouf until you use a waterpic.

Days later I will pick out a tiny seed and the flavor of Don Cornelius Pops out. Of course when you taste the rub all at once you can't tell Don is there... but when that little seed comes out later... you know at least THAT is in it.

I thought you didn't like the Tina Turner in my rub Neil? Thought "it doesn't bring much to the table" (according to my records of our conversations).
I ran out of my Cluckin' Sunshine (chicken Rub) and Brand New Funk (Rib Rub) and didn't have ingredients at the market to make more. I took the Butt Glitter Sprinkle as a backup and it worked great.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #38
bigabyte

Brisket bark is not from sugar more than it is from pepper and coarse salt from what I have noticed. If you put other spices in yoour rub, it will be in there too, but just a simple coarse salt and pepper rub will make quite a bark by the time the brisket is done. I think the fact that the coarse salt remains on the outside shows that it is not going to make the brisket salty. Now, if you put a finer grained salt on first, like the seasoned salt Donnie-Pitmaster-T is talking about here, that stuff is gonna get sucked right into the meat, along with the flaovrs of the rubs. Heck, now I'm repeating what Donnie already said.

In short, coarse salt and black pepper makes a mean brisket bark.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #39
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Brisket bark is not from sugar more than it is from pepper and coarse salt from what I have noticed. If you put other spices in yoour rub, it will be in there too, but just a simple coarse salt and pepper rub will make quite a bark by the time the brisket is done. I think the fact that the coarse salt remains on the outside shows that it is not going to make the brisket salty. Now, if you put a finer grained salt on first, like the seasoned salt Donnie-Pitmaster-T is talking about here, that stuff is gonna get sucked right into the meat, along with the flaovrs of the rubs. Heck, now I'm repeating what Donnie already said.

In short, coarse salt and black pepper makes a mean brisket bark.
Chris... I work hard... hard thinking of new ways to give out answers and "obscure" what I am saying for those that don't want to listen. I was hoping with the wealth of words I puked out about this subject the tip about the season salt (small grain) would go unnoticed. Then you go out and draw attention to it. LOL

And one thing about Paul Kirk (admirable Talent for sure).

If your using his rubs and techniques, and are not satisfied with the product entirely... then maybe you are wishing to exceed his brisket.... which is entirely possible. He would laugh at this for sure.

Remember, competition briskets are made to impress the judges after having about 1 or 2 square inches (what they average to taste). You have to wow the judge often with only the pretty little shaving of flat meat you present.

A plate of good brisket (point/flat/and burnt end or two) that you get from a joint satisfies on many different levels.

Remember... HONESTLY, you do NOT eat with your eyes first.

Anyonme want to challenge that statement??????????????

Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #40
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I have read that "salt penetrates and sugar seals". They don't use sugar in the rub at the central Texas joints perhaps for that very reason.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #41
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dweller View Post
English is hard enough for me to understand...
Could someone translate this thread into english please......

On edit.....

Nevermind, i just tried to re-read and noticed it was for the funky.

I guess i skipped that class!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013

Last edited by Bbq Bubba; 02-23-2009 at 09:47 AM..
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #42
bigabyte

I rubbed various sugars on pieces of pork once as part of a rub ingredient experiment and all the sugar (except the turbinado) was absorbed into the meat. No sealing occurred. I would imagine if high heat was applied to the sugar before it was absorbed, then it would harden and seal, but I don't think that happens in BBQ cooking. That's more like Creme Brulee stuff there.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #43
JD McGee

In reply to Funk's above post...

And one thing about Paul Kirk (admirable Talent for sure).

Agreed...

If your using his rubs and techniques, and are not satisfied with the product entirely... then maybe you are wishing to exceed his brisket.... which is entirely possible. He would laugh at this for sure.

Always looking to improve...

Remember, competition briskets are made to impress the judges after having about 1 or 2 square inches (what they average to taste). You have to wow the judge often with only the pretty little shaving of flat meat you present.

Not looking to impress the judges pallets...just my wife's! Hers is a bit more discerning!

A plate of good brisket (point/flat/and burnt end or two) that you get from a joint satisfies on many different levels.

Agreed...

Remember... HONESTLY, you do NOT eat with your eyes first.

I do...my wife does...If I see two plates side by side with the same entree...I'm going for the better presented of the two. Same with turn in boxes for comps...if presentation is not important...why have them?

Anyonme want to challenge that statement??????????????

Yep...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #44
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Could someone translate this thread into english please......

On edit.....

Nevermind, i just tried to re-read and noticed it was for the funky.

I guess i skipped that class!
That's all I meant. I'm not even sure what the heck funk is, but I guess it ain't me. I always figured that if a guy really wanted to promote bbq, and share a wealth of knowledge he'd make it easy to understand and not seek to obscure info or knowledge...
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]LFSA RED Thermapen,[/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart[/FONT]
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #45
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Despite the funk overtone of this thread, there's some damn good information in here. This is definitely roadmap material.

Tags
rub salt popdaddy