logo

Pork Chop Done Right

rugbyguytx

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I lit up the grill last year and tried a recipe that sounded good. After I ate 4 inches of pork chop, I discovered I had found the perfect pork chop. A new house, move and the holidays found the recipe stuck in a box but alas I found it again while doing some cleaning.
1. This recipe was found in a Cooks Illustrated magazine. I love their mag, it always has some good.. home grown meals in it and a lot of great advice...
2. It may be hard to find a butcher to cut the pork chops the way you need them for this recipe but look around your town.. it is well worth it!!!!
3. I have had them do center cut and also 'french' the bone. Frenching makes it present better but you loose a bit of the meat.
4. The chutney that goes with this is a must :)

So on with it :)

You cook this on indirect heat on the grill.. I got it to about 350 and let it die from there and it will take about 30-40 minutes to cook to an internal temp of 145.

• 4 center cut pork chops 2 inches thick.
  • Be generous and salt and pepper the chops and rub it in.
  • Set the chops bone side down, standing up on the grill away from the charcoal.
  • Cook until the chops read 145 in the meat.

Chutney

• 3 Tablespoons veg. oil
  • 1/2 Red bell pepper diced into 1/2" squares
  • 1/2 Yellow bell pepper diced into 1/2" squares
  • 1/2 Small onion (I used 1015's) minced
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves (i use 2 teaspoons of the bottled garlic) minced
  • 1 C apple cider vinegar
  • 1 C light brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon whole mustard seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 3 Granny Smith Apples diced into 1/2" squares

1. Heat one tablespoon of oil and add bell pepper, onion, ginger and garlic and cook until soft.
  2. Add vinegar brown sugar, mustard seeds allspice and cayenne and bring it to a simmer over medium-high heat.
  3. Cook until it is about 1 1/2 cups (about 10 minutes)
  4. Remove from heat and let cool in a bowl
  5. Add 1 Tablespoon oil to skillet and cook half of the apples just until they are golden.. about 4 minutes. Transfer to bowl and repeat with another tablespoon of oil and the other half of the apples.
  6. Add the apples to bowl, toss and serve a spoon full over the side of the chop.

warninglabel_norco.jpg

Back