Traeger Quality Control

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well, I have a friend who is a sells Traeger's and have heard about alot of problems with the new designed models. The stainless steel doors there putting on are BENDING. He has had two or three 75s that he has had to fix that have bowed after a few cooks. Also on several of the 75s and 70s hot rods have either gone out after an initial cook or dont work at all. All this plus there price increase for all there smokers

Don't know if any of you have heard the same thing but it seems that they are sacrificing quality and workmanship for mass production ( that and to pay Terry Bradshaw as there new spokesman..)

I love my 75 and have had great success with it, but after evaluating smokers, this list and the praise from the mountain tops for Spicewine's, it was real easy to decide what I'll be ordering in the near future!

Think these problems if not solved soon by Traeger on the quality, workmanship, it could spell trouble in my opinion.

I must agree with a lot of what you have said. I know equipment wears and there are problems, but I have spent the last 3 days trying to get both of my digital controls to work at 225*. I may too have bought my last Traeger! Just glad there are more and more pellet options!

Yeah Traeger doesn't seem to have all their ducks in order. I'm sure they outsource the digital controls but apparently have a lousey contract with the supplier. I've heard numerous complaints of thermal runaway and I have experienced it, they replaced the controller but only because it was in warranty. Once I ordered pellets from them and when they arrived UPS had managed to damage the box enough to lose 1/3 of the pellets. I called Traeger and they said " Well did you get some pellets?" I said yes I got some pellets. They said "Then what are you complaining about?" I tried to buy a 200 from them no squabble on the price but I wanted it without the axle and wheels so I could mount it on my own trailer, could not get them to return calls within a week so after a month I bought a Ole Hickory. Needless to say I won't buy another pit or pellets from them. I like the two 075s I have and would buy used or FEC but not Traeger.

I was looking at a couple of Traegers yesterday while I was picking up some pellets, this was the first time I had ever seen a Traeger in person, and I have to say that the build quality left much to be desired when I compared it to my new Country Smoker, they just looked flimsy and the grilling surface was not as nice as the Country Smoker IMHO. Sure am glad Plowboy nudged me in this direction when I was deciding what pellet burner to get!

I was looking at a couple of Traegers yesterday while I was picking up some pellets, this was the first time I had ever seen a Traeger in person, and I have to say that the build quality left much to be desired when I compared it to my new Country Smoker, they just looked flimsy and the grilling surface was not as nice as the Country Smoker IMHO. Sure am glad Plowboy nudged me in this direction when I was deciding what pellet burner to get!

You got more cooker for your money, too.

Last time I was in Mt. Angel, I took a mini tour of Traegers Plant with their other Spokesman "Mr. BBQ". My dad was ready to buy a Traeger until Mr. BBQ and his arrogant and rude attitude came through. Upon leaving, I bought 20 bags of pellets from one of Joe Traegers kids and he acted as though he could care less. The Quality of the product has gone down and the customer service is non existant.
I will not buy another Traeger product nor reccomend them because of that experience.

Slow Joe
FE100
Traeger/Smith and Wesson .357

Customer service has been lacking big time with them. You should see all the restrictions they are putting on dealers now. You know based on what I have seen first hand and what Traeger is doing now has me scratching my head, are they trying to mainstream Traeger? or have they just plan lost touch with there customers. I guess the old saying of people forgetting where they came from and who made them what they are is true.
If I ever do get another pellet smoker it will be a Fast Eddy or a Wham smoker.

Back