Cooking Whole Hog

Mooner

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok, heres my next question. I have a wild hog a friend of mine shot in Texas. He has cleaned it, skinned it and removed the head. Other than that it's still pretty much intact sitting in a deep freezer in his garage. I have a 24" X 72" horizontal smoker that were gonna try to put it on and cook it for Easter. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Iv'e seen a lot of people put them on spits but I dont have one to work with, and im not digging a hole in my back yard :biggrin: So have at it guys, lemme hear whatcha got..

smpa86 said:
Ok, heres my next question. I have a wild hog a friend of mine shot in Texas. He has cleaned it, skinned it and removed the head. Other than that it's still pretty much intact sitting in a deep freezer in his garage. I have a 24" X 72" horizontal smoker that were gonna try to put it on and cook it for Easter. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Iv'e seen a lot of people put them on spits but I dont have one to work with, and im not digging a hole in my back yard :biggrin: So have at it guys, lemme hear whatcha got..

First question is how big is the hog? length, wieght, etc. in other words, will it fit your cooker whole?

When we do whole hog for a the Pork Expo contest we rub it down at noon when we get there and have it inspected.
We put it on the smoker at about 6 pm. It cooks for about 18 hours at 250*. I have noticed that there is not much smoke flavor on the larger portions(ham, picnic and loin). You might try injecting these parts to get more flavor.

I did an about 80# hog at Douglas, GA, on my Kingfisher - the 30x32 "grill" side...butterflied and without the head and hocks it fit fine...we cooked it skin side down for the whole time since he wouldn't fit "face" down...with the wild hog consider getting a whole lot of garlic cloves and inserting it in the sold pieces of meat (slits)...season up with plenty of rub and/or salt and pepper...

Good luck!!

chad said:
I did an about 80# hog at Douglas, GA, on my Kingfisher - the 30x32 "grill" side...butterflied and without the head and hocks it fit fine...we cooked it skin side down for the whole time since he wouldn't fit "face" down...with the wild hog consider getting a whole lot of garlic cloves and inserting it in the sold pieces of meat (slits)...season up with plenty of rub and/or salt and pepper...

Good luck!!

Chad--I thought we injected the heck out of the big peices.
Was I dreaming? :oops:

TIM

The_Kapn said:

TIM

Yeah, we did, but I remember from watching a wild hog contest that most of those guys did the garlic and rub...it wouldn't hurt to inject, but most guys don't have the MOA-Injectors...

I have hesitated to comment because we cook whole hogs a lot differently here. We have access to butcher size hogs at minimal cost. 180 to 220 pounds live weight is the norm. We usually pay market price or nothing. It's a farmer thing. When they are that big we just choose to spin them. I've got to get the "cooke de villle" out of the grove and back to work.

...and I thought it was a nightmare...

BTW, that pig you cooked at 80# would have brought you a big DQ.
The one we dreamt up was MUCH larger...

The_Kapn said:

TIM

nancee said:
BTW, that pig you cooked at 80# would have brought you a big DQ.
The one we dreamt up was MUCH larger...

Shucks--I did not notice his "typo" on the weight :redface:
I think we were all "dreaming" and "mindless" by the 2nd (or was it the 3rd ?) day of Douglas. I know I was :oops:

BTW--thanks again for the biggo batch of pics!

It will take a bit to get them sorted and filed, but really great stuff!

TIM

Back