MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #11671
KansasCityBBQHound
Got rid of the matchlight.

Finally getting around to building my UDSs. I've been going through the pages of this thread, and finally after about 200 pages, I just jumped to the end. There is just so much information here, and I'm feeling very confident that I shouldn't have any insurmountable issues arise. I'll try to take pics and post as it progresses... Got two food grade drums (they're a bit tough to come by for reasonable prices up here in NoVA), unfortunately lined, but I don't think that will stop me. Will keep you guys updated!
KansasCityBBQHound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 AM   #11672
Ramiro0727
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2_BBQ View Post
I have built two new UDS's for this year’s competition season. I have looked for a supply of domed lids that will fit a 55 gallon drum. To date have been stymied thus far. I know that one can purchase used 22 ½ inch smoker or grill and modify the lid to fit. In my search I found a great company "Toledo Metal Spinning" that could make them. They are wondering if there is an interest in the BBQ community to make these and have them as a standard item. These would fit a standard 55 gallon drum with no additional modifications. If you are interested in them doing this PLEASE email Jeff Earley at [email protected]. He is going to keep track of how much interest there is. This would give the BBQ community a source for UDS lids. Please spread the word on other BBQ Forums. Thank you for your help.

This sounds interesting. How would the lids look like? Are they gonna look similar to the Weber lid?
Ramiro0727 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #11673
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

If they were rounder like a WSM you could have your first shelf up higher and still fit a turkey on the top.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #11674
BC2_BBQ
Got Wood.

So here is an example of a lid that they currently make. They would have to create a tool to make the lids for the UDS. They are very interested in finding out if there is enough interest for them to make the tool and have these available as a standard item. This would save the BBQ community Money. If it is a special item then there is a tooling cost and a setup fee and all that sort of stuff. If you send an email it doesn't mean that you want one or that you are committing to purchasing one. All it shows is that there is interest. I hope everyone will flood them with emails and they start making them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toledo Metal Spinning Lid.jpg (50.8 KB, 727 views)
BC2_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2014, 04:13 PM   #11675
shovelrobert
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default barrel to fit a lid

If you start with a Weber lid, you can look for a barrel it will fit, the newer weber lids will fit right on a lot of closed top drums.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #11676
knitmar

To BC2_BBQ - Are you in a place that you can keep us updated?
knitmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #11677
BC2_BBQ
Got Wood.

To Knitmar: yes I can. I do not work for Toledo Metal Spinning. I was just looking for a lids. I will up date when I speak with Jeff.
BC2_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #11678
UDS Rookie
Got rid of the matchlight.

Very happy with my UDS cooks thus far. Let me share some photos with you. Thanks again to all the seasoned vets for the tips and advice. Check out my blog where I tried to compile a lot of the frequently asked questions I've seen. http://udsrookie.blogspot.com/

Ribs on the UDS were easy and turned out very nice.

My 2nd brisket turned out great!
UDS Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #11679
erbeman
On the road to being a farker

Finished building out my first UDS last night. I'm pretty happy with it :)

erbeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #11680
RT
Full Fledged Farker

^^^^ Very nice ^^^^
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #11681
nubrook18
Found some matches.

I cannot find any "food grade" barrels around. Is there any other grade of barrels I could use? Can you burn out a barrel that had motor oil enough or am I resigned to waiting for a food grade one? Thanks for your help!
nubrook18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #11682
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

A motor oil drum is fine, just wash it well. First with solvent and then soap and water or car wash, and then burn it out. I made my mini out of an oil drum.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #11683
nubrook18
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbossJB View Post
A motor oil drum is fine, just wash it well. First with solvent and then soap and water or car wash, and then burn it out. I made my mini out of an oil drum.
Thanks for the info pitboss!
nubrook18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #11684
knitmar

No one warned me how heavy a UDS can get after you start hanging a few extras, intake pipes and ball valves, grill plate rack, fire box, casters, etc. gettin' difficult for an old 68+ year old. But I can only guess the smell and tastes of the end product. Almost ready for the first firing.
knitmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #11685
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

What gaskets, besides fiberglass, have people used on their drums for a better seal? I'm considering either Nomex or the high temp silica or ceramic rope from McMaster Carr.

I'm assembling my UDS prior to getting it sandblasted and as I've got a 2.5" Weber lid and I'm not a welder, I've taken the advice of others and fitted a 2" wide x 1/8" thick aluminum bar around the top of the lid, leaving 1/2" above the lip of the drum for the lid to rest on. Just sizing things up and getting the fitting down before I drilled more holes in the drum. Also, I'll eventually seal the perimeter with black Permatex.

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9334e3b4.jpg

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/...ps806809fe.jpg

But when I went to go fit the lid, the fit wasn't as tight as what I wanted, even though others claim that a loose lid is relatively minor, given how air tight the unit is in general. Still, the lid could move around easily enough that I'd like to make the seal tighter and was weighing either the 1/2" x 1/8" thick Nomex or perhaps the 3/8" rope to attach to the aluminum.

I also saw the UDS gasket sold by BBQGaskets.com. If you've perfected the fit with the UDS lid, which gasket have you used? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bbq1980; 02-06-2014 at 11:51 PM..
bbq1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker