MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Default Therm Confusion!

I started out with a Primo XL. I worked with the stock Primo therm and found that 450* chicken cooks gave me the best results...I think. After finding out that my Primo therm was way off when compared to a Maverick, I went thru a second Primo therm, a TruTel, a Maverick and a CyberQ. All therms gave me different readings.
Now, I've been trying to remember exactly what temp on which therm gave me the best chicken/turkey results. I just can't remember. I'm close, but not there yet. My ultimate goal is to get back to great chicken cooks, but using the CyberQ for control.
I'm just posting this because of my frustration. I finally conquered the great chicken skin issue, only to lose it. Now I feel like I'm back to where I started.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I would verify all therms are accurate using the boiling water test. Calibrate them if you can. After that just stick to the dome therm IMO. If you are using a temp. controller, clip the probe to the same place all the time.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

325-350*

Old 11-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
darita
is One Chatty Farker

That's the weird thing. All were calibrated to 212*, but past that, forget it.