MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #31
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
I propose the following motion for consideration:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out). Once parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, those portions may not be returned to the cooker or grill.

PERSONALLY, This is how I would word it...but hell, I just cook.

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum PRE-TRIMMED Weight of AT LEAST five (5) pounds. After trimming, THE pork BUTT, ROAST, OR SHOULDER shall be cooked IN A whole STATE, WITH ALL MUSCLE GROUPS ATTACHED (bone in or bone out). Once SEPARATED IN ANY WAY FROM A WHOLE STATE, INCUDING into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, NO portion may be returned to the cooker or grill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
just make it illegal to turn in slices. Just pulled, chunked or chopped pork entries allowed. Besides, I have yet to find a BBQ joint who serves sliced money muscle.
Truth is since there isn't any enforcement, none of this matters. When was the last time you saw a meat inspector with a scale? When was the last time you were spot checked?
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #32
markG
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
just make it illegal to turn in slices. Just pulled, chunked or chopped pork entries allowed. Besides, I have yet to find a BBQ joint who serves sliced money muscle.
"Just pulled, chunked or chopped pork entries allowed." would open up a huge can of worms. We would have judges and reps trying to define a pull that looks sliced or a chunk that looks sliced and then they will have to make a rule for that!

Show me a BBQ joint that serves gloppy sweet sauced Chicken FrankenThighs that we make and that is probably the same joint that serves MM. Why can't they just leave the rule the way it is and it will keep us from having to tote a grill to cook the money muscle on next year!
[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
KCBS, MABA Meadow Creek CD-108,
Backwoods Extended Party, 2 BBQ Guru Onyx Ovens
Thanks to our sponsors, 3 Eyz BBQ, The Ingredient Store, The BBQ Guru
markG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #33
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Study Hall at TGIFridays

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #34
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markG View Post
"Just pulled, chunked or chopped pork entries allowed." would open up a huge can of worms. We would have judges and reps trying to define a pull that looks sliced or a chunk that looks sliced and then they will have to make a rule for that!

Show me a BBQ joint that serves gloppy sweet sauced Chicken FrankenThighs that we make and that is probably the same joint that serves MM. Why can't they just leave the rule the way it is and it will keep us from having to tote a grill to cook the money muscle on next year!
That may be the reason my chicken scores suck. I cant stand Sauced chicken I have to force myself to taste it. Just for ****s amd giggles at one contest next year I am going to turn in chicken the way I like it and see what happens.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #35
markG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
That may be the reason my chicken scores suck. I cant stand Sauced chicken I have to force myself to taste it. Just for ****s amd giggles at one contest next year I am going to turn in chicken the way I like it and see what happens.

My wife says the same thing to me. She thinks if the judges taste real chicken they may reward it with a good score!

Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #36
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Truth is since there isn't any enforcement, none of this matters. When was the last time you saw a meat inspector with a scale? When was the last time you were spot checked?
Well there is enforcement if the rep or someone sees it and brings it to the rep they can enforce the rule.

I see it as every other law in society. It is against the law to speed but the only way I am going to get a ticket is if a police office (in our case rep) or another citizen (in our case another team) watches me speed and reports it.

Rules are made for the general society to follow. You will always have someone that will break that rule and if we police ourselves than that pool will be reduced.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #37
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out). Once parted into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, those portions may not be returned to the cooker or grill.

PERSONALLY, This is how I would word it...but hell, I just cook.

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum PRE-TRIMMED Weight of AT LEAST five (5) pounds. After trimming, THE pork BUTT, ROAST, OR SHOULDER shall be cooked IN A whole STATE, WITH ALL MUSCLE GROUPS ATTACHED (bone in or bone out). Once SEPARATED IN ANY WAY FROM A WHOLE STATE, INCUDING into slices, medallions, cutlets, chunks, pulled or shredded portions, NO portion may be returned to the cooker or grill.
I definitely think your wording is better when I glanced through it but it seems the gist of it as that you can't return the pork back to the cooker once separated. If that is true why don't we leave the same pork rule on the books and leave it at that since it achieves the same thing?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #38
markG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Well there is enforcement if the rep or someone sees it and brings it to the rep they can enforce the rule.

I see it as every other law in society. It is against the law to speed but the only way I am going to get a ticket is if a police office (in our case rep) or another citizen (in our case another team) watches me speed and reports it.

Rules are made for the general society to follow. You will always have someone that will break that rule and if we police ourselves than that pool will be reduced.
Except in PGA golf. They still play by an honor system where their word means something. I have seen several instances this year where a PGA pro was disqualified after they admitted to making a rule infraction that the marshalls didn't see. I have yet to see a BBQ Pro admit to parting pork or reheating pork (I have seen it this year) after it comes off of the cooker. I just cook my cook and let the chips fall where they may and try to play within whatever rules KCBS sets. I think they do a pretty good job at it and we will figure it out in 2014 I guess.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #39
BMerrill
Full Fledged Farker

Exclamation

PORK:
Pork is defined as the Whole Shoulder or one of the two major portions thereof commonly know as the Boston Butt (upper half), or the Picnic roast (lower half), but no others.
After trimming, pork must have a minimum weight of five (5) pounds and can be bone-in or boneless.
If boneless, the meat must be tied together with butchers twine or similar means to the original rectangular shape before the bone was removed.
Pork must be cooked until done with all muscle groups completely intact or bound together.
Once separated, no portion thereof can be left on or returned to the cooker for any reason, including for reheating.
BMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #40
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMerrill View Post

PORK:
Pork is defined as the Whole Shoulder or one of the two major portions thereof commonly know as the Boston Butt (upper half), or the Picnic roast (lower half), but no others.
After trimming, pork must have a minimum weight of five (5) pounds and can be bone-in or boneless.
If boneless, the meat must be tied together with butchers twine or similar means to the original rectangular shape before the bone was removed.
Pork must be cooked until done with all muscle groups completely intact or bound together.
Once separated, no portion thereof can be left on or returned to the cooker for any reason, including for reheating.
You are getting TOO specific and eliminating a fair cooking technique. As long as it is not seperated or returned to the cooker in an unwhole state, I believe it should be fair game. making cooks use Twine and tying up the meat is a little overboard brother

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #41
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

The only way to enforce anything in this sport is with the PORK GESTAPO.

I suggest that a rule amendment be added creating the Pork Gestapo. They will be volunteers, made up of overflow judges and the thousands of fans that sign up after watching an advertisement after every episode of BBQ Pitmasters. Their leaders will be crotchety bastards, never happy with anything but the black and white of the rules.

They will be assigned in force to the field of battle...popping their heads into every stroke of your knife, into every opening of your cooker. They will be tireless in pursuit of the rules, making sure each infraction is brought to the reps and organizer. They will find things such as the expiration tag on your fire extinguisher...or possibly the fact that between entries you didn't sanitize your table with bleach solution....

Yes they will find every single infraction you do...

Honor is paramount in BBQ. We used to hold it in high regard, yet the BBQ Explosion has brought glory hounds and honor less fools into our midst, all searching for a piece of plastic with a pig on top. Honor and integrity are alive and well in most of us...yet with popularity comes those that cheat, and they should be identified, vilified and banned, as there is no room for that in BBQ...create an organization to hunt down and root out the Beasts of BBQ

reality check.
There is no answer. You can't enforce every rule without pissing everyone off. You just gotta hope the guy next to you believes in Honor, Integrity, and Fair Play.

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #42
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markG View Post
My wife says the same thing to me. She thinks if the judges taste real chicken they may reward it with a good score!
Where have you been? You should know by now that KCBS contests are BBQ sauce contests, not meat contests.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #43
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Everyone uses this analogy but it's more like the speed limit is 60 and the police never ever go out on the highway, so the legislature wants to solve the speeding problem by changing the speed limit to "60 - sometimes".
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #44
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

Maybe we should do what NASCAR does & put an official in each teams tent then if they do something wrong black flag them or dock them points
hogzillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #45
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

To me, the biggest issue is that we are 1.5 months from the start of the 2014 season, and no one seems to have any idea what the pork rule will be next year. With the epic TotY races we've had the last several years, teams will likely be starting earlier than ever in 2014 trying to rack up points. How are they supposed to prepare if they don't even know what rules they will be competing under next year?

KCBS and competition BBQ have experienced incredible growth the last several years, but I have to wonder how long it can continue when we keep seeing things like this. Why should a sponsor commit a significant portion of its advertising budget to a sanctioning body that can't even set its rules in a timely manner?

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote