MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
WvQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : WvQ
Default Low and Slow Cookbook

I used this cookbook when I started learning how to smoke meat. Now I wonder if I've outgrown it, maybe? The question I have for those with experience, is it necessary to turn Pork Butt over every hour of the cook? Do most of you just leave it and watch the fire? To clarify I use a side firebox cooker and to this point have followed this method only.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

No need to flip.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Gilstarr
Full Fledged Farker

I see no need to flip every hour with a side firebox, maybe one time during the cook if that.. you'll find different ways the more you cook...Good luck!
Gilstarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Bigrolltide1877
On the road to being a farker

I never flip a boston butt i always put fat side down and i wrap it in foil but i leave the top open for a couple of hours then i wrap it tightly and through it back on the smoker to finish cooking. I also have a offset smoker.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

you mean offset? lol andI have never flipped a butt or Briskett.. i just leave the cooking chamber door closed and tend to the fire... Start checking it at the 6 hour mark.. for larger cuts 4 hour for smaller cuts..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

I've cooked more butts than I can count on a Traeger and never flipped them. When I got Low and Slow I tried it on my offset and wasn't too thrilled with the finished product. I wasn't as tender. I would definitely suggest trying other methods for learning purposes. Myron Mixon and Chris Lilly come to mind.
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I love that book. Best book for beginners.

I have stopped doing many of his techniques. Partly because I'm lazy and partly because I didn't find them to add significant benefit.

I typically don't flip. I do find that one flip can be beneficial around 2/3 of the way through, to get more even cooking and speed things up. But yet, I typically don't do it because I just put the meat on go to bed. It is within 60 minutes of being done when I get up and check it for the first time.

I also have given up spritzing. It can add another layer of flavor, but I just don't have need for another layer of flavor. It does noting for moisture.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
WvQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : WvQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman61 View Post
I've cooked more butts than I can count on a Traeger and never flipped them. When I got Low and Slow I tried it on my offset and wasn't too thrilled with the finished product. I wasn't as tender. I would definitely suggest trying other methods for learning purposes. Myron Mixon and Chris Lilly come to mind.
Well getting more experience and buying Myron Mixon's book has helped me improve my cook, but Low and Slow got my foot in the door.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I put it on close the door and I don't see it again for at least 7 hrs.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Hey, but hang on to that book, its an antique and gonna be worth more than you paid for it!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvQ View Post
Well getting more experience and buying Myron Mixon's book has helped me improve my cook, but Low and Slow got my foot in the door.
Same here. I just meant smoking a butt and flipping it etc didn't wow me with better results. I've smoked lots of chicken and ribs and learned my offset a lot better because of the book. I love all the lessons on marinades and sauces. I've definitely got my money's worth out of it. Funny thing is I pulled it out just this morning because I am going to smoke something for some friends who are up from California Sat.
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

I would only flip if the heat source is close to one side of the meat, otherwise it would just stay where it's at throughout the cook.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
IrondeQuer
On the road to being a farker

I picked up the book last year when I caught the addiction and really enjoyed it. I never really saw the need for flipping the meat except in the case oldbill noted.

My family still asks for that Mojo Criollo Chicken.
IrondeQuer is offline   Reply With Quote