MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #241
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've been through a pretty extensive remodel of our house, and while it's nothing on the scale of what you're going through, something that was helpful to me was to know that there would be a day when it was all done and the building troubles were over. That day didn't come even vaguely when when planned, but it did come eventually and everything turned out fine. It can be a totally exasperating experience, but it is an experience that will come to an end.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #242
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Thanks, guys.

Just a quick update since a few things are starting to fall into place finally. Contract signed with the builder today and fingers crossed, work will begin next week. It's expected to be a 3 week project, but you know how that goes. The list is somewhat extensive with a new drop ceiling and lighting in the rear kitchen, new flooring in the dining room, new walls and new order/pick-up windows, and the most important, a hole cut in the exterior wall for a through the wall smoker installation with new ventilation and outside enclosure.

So, while the delay on smoker delivery was a blow, I think in the end if we can get the interior all squared away, by the time we finish the painting, cleaning, decorating, and stocking the kitchen, the smoker will arrive just in time and we'll be on track for an October 4th open date. Granted, it's a few months behind schedule and I hate missing out on the tourist summer season, it's better than nothing.

Finally, I've got four cords of wood being delivered this week. A couple cords of oak on Wednesday, and a few of apple on Saturday. It's going to be a brutal week or so stacking wood, but at least having the wood here and ready to fire will feel like we're one step closer. It's like I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, even though it's still quite faint.

Oh, and thanks to 82's BBQ for helping put on the CBJ class on Friday. It was a long trip, but with some idle time with this restaurant nonsense it was nice to meet some other people interested in BBQ and finally get my CBJ cert.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #243
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Well, the bad news never seems to stop with this project. Can't get the smoker delivered until September 27th. That is, unless I can find one sitting around somewhere. Or more likely, I need to come up with a plan B.

I've got the biggest headache right now.
What smoker did you end up with?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #244
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Have you got all the city/county/health permits squared away? What was that process like. That can Sometimes be the worst of all.

Did you have to pay a impact fee for the water/sewer/road for restaurant? Around here restaurants have the highest impact fees and it can kill a project

Old 08-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #245
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
What smoker did you end up with?
A southern pride 300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
Have you got all the city/county/health permits squared away? What was that process like. That can Sometimes be the worst of all.

Did you have to pay a impact fee for the water/sewer/road for restaurant? Around here restaurants have the highest impact fees and it can kill a project
Well, fortunately, I did most of that stuff even before I bought the building. So I had the health inspector and township inspector meet with me on site before anything else to get their thoughts, see what would need to be fixed, etc. So, that has minimized a lot of those headaches.

Also, I'm located outside of the city, don't have sewer, etc. so there are even far fewer hurdles to jump through there as well. And thankfully, since the building has been a restaurant for decades, there was no need to worry about zoning changes, occupancy changes, other fees and permits, and so on.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #246
sbshaveice
Knows what a fatty is.

Did you do the sign design? I really like it. Hated the previous owner's name and design.
Your building is cool too, though it doesn't look commercial -- looks like a converted house. That the case? Hope to see shot of the new floors, I like your pic of wood. What is it? Wood flooring is not cheap.

I like the wisdom buried in the section on the HD's walkthrough prior to purchase. I think one needs a relationship with the HD, you don't have to be sleeping with the inspector, but some people make it an adversarial thing. That won't work. You lose. Know their name, and them knowing you're earnest and not a corner cutter is the best approach.
sbshaveice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #247
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbshaveice View Post
Did you do the sign design? I really like it. Hated the previous owner's name and design.
Your building is cool too, though it doesn't look commercial -- looks like a converted house. That the case? Hope to see shot of the new floors, I like your pic of wood. What is it? Wood flooring is not cheap.

I like the wisdom buried in the section on the HD's walkthrough prior to purchase. I think one needs a relationship with the HD, you don't have to be sleeping with the inspector, but some people make it an adversarial thing. That won't work. You lose. Know their name, and them knowing you're earnest and not a corner cutter is the best approach.
Thanks. My sister in-law designed the logo. She's a graphic designer, so I take advantage of free work wherever I can.

And yeah, I'm not a fan of the exterior of the building. It's always been a restaurant and isn't a converted house, but the cheap blue siding sure makes it look like one. One day I hope to change that, but I just need to get the doors open first.

The flooring is laminate, so it actually wasn't too bad. It came out to a little over $2 per square foot. Has a 5 year commercial warranty.

And while I'm here, one more quick update. My t-shirt designer just emailed me a proof of one of the shirt designs. Can't wait to get them to all my friends and family and beg them to walk around town with one on every day for the next two months.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #248
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Glad to hear things are moving along for you! Pits have my trailer held up as well.

I'll be following along and wishing you much success!
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #249
trza
Knows what a fatty is.

This is a long thread, and I admittedly haven't read through it all...but did you find insurance? I've found that the Independent Insurance Agents are the place to be most of the time. They tend to be smaller, so service is a big deal to them. And their group arrangement gives them access to many insurance companies that they can write policies with. That's a lot of market to shop with a single application.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #250
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trza View Post
This is a long thread, and I admittedly haven't read through it all...but did you find insurance? I've found that the Independent Insurance Agents are the place to be most of the time. They tend to be smaller, so service is a big deal to them. And their group arrangement gives them access to many insurance companies that they can write policies with. That's a lot of market to shop with a single application.
Yes, insurance was a bit hard to come by. I worked with a local broker who had access to many different companies and specialize in commercial policies. Ended up getting coverage with Auto-Owners Insurance company.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #251
raginranger
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hello marubozo,

Long time thread lurker. First time poster.

I'm from SC so I admittedly am not very familiar with your area at all; however, I noticed that it's only 10 miles from the University of Notre Dame.

I noticed that you were a little upset about missing the summer season, but do you expect to get much traffic from the Notre Dame football season.

Seems like some people that come in for the games will stay in your area, and it could potentially increase business a good bit.

Don't know the culture up there but down here in SC tons of people buy BBQ for their tailgate menu on gameday saturdays.
raginranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #252
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raginranger View Post
Hello marubozo,

Long time thread lurker. First time poster.

I'm from SC so I admittedly am not very familiar with your area at all; however, I noticed that it's only 10 miles from the University of Notre Dame.

I noticed that you were a little upset about missing the summer season, but do you expect to get much traffic from the Notre Dame football season.

Seems like some people that come in for the games will stay in your area, and it could potentially increase business a good bit.

Don't know the culture up there but down here in SC tons of people buy BBQ for their tailgate menu on gameday saturdays.
That's a great question.

I do hope that there will be some football traffic as like you said, we are pretty close. It's just an odd setup here. We're only about two miles north of the Indiana border, and it's kind of odd because it seems like EVERYTHING is just on the other side of the border. Even though it's only a couple of miles, it's as if people have no need to go north of the border so everybody seems to stay down there.

Now, if there was a good reason to make the couple mile drive, say, to get five pounds of awesome pulled pork to take to your tailgate party, then that could get people in. But it would take some targeted marketing to those fans down there and let them know about us. There's also a good opportunity to advertise game day party packs or something where people can call in ahead of time and place an order for X amount of people and we put together everything they need to pick up on game day.

So, it will be interesting to see if I can convert on any of the football activity this fall.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #253
Smokinwright
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
That's a great question.

I do hope that there will be some football traffic as like you said, we are pretty close. It's just an odd setup here. We're only about two miles north of the Indiana border, and it's kind of odd because it seems like EVERYTHING is just on the other side of the border. Even though it's only a couple of miles, it's as if people have no need to go north of the border so everybody seems to stay down there.

Now, if there was a good reason to make the couple mile drive, say, to get five pounds of awesome pulled pork to take to your tailgate party, then that could get people in. But it would take some targeted marketing to those fans down there and let them know about us. There's also a good opportunity to advertise game day party packs or something where people can call in ahead of time and place an order for X amount of people and we put together everything they need to pick up on game day.

So, it will be interesting to see if I can convert on any of the football activity this fall.

I would think that crowd would be a good one to target during football season. Any way to advertise up that way, that won't break the bank?

Congratulations on making the commitment. It's something I've always wanted to do, but it's just not the right time right now for me. I admire you for all the work you've put in to make it exactly how you want it.
Smokinwright is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #254
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Do you have a website to order the t shirts? I'd sure buy a couple since you are a brethren...

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #255
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

i guy here comps your entire order if the giants win the superbowl! if they loose he makes money. if they win he makes new costomers and gets advertisement at food cost. just a thought. i also would like to buy a tee-shirt
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote