MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
1dusty00a
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default UDS - Remote Thermometer

Happy New Year to All.

Got a Big Poppa Smoker and I love it but for Two things. I would like to 1)be able to check the Temp in the Center of the Barrel and 2) be able to check the Temp of the meat without lifting the Lid!!!

What Remote thermometers are accurate and could deal with the Temps while not having to worry about crushing the Leads with a Metal to Metal tight fit? Are Remote Thermometers the way to go or should I drill another hole in the Drum for the Leads to go thru??

Thanks for Any/All suggestions.

Good Cookin

Dusty

If its in the UDS Thread, any Idea what page (1-600)
1dusty00a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is the way I did it on my UDS using my Maverick Remote Smoker Dual Probe Wireless Thermometer ET-73 (the

is the newer version by the way).

Note the close-up on the lower right hand side of the pic.

I am able to run all my probes and by pointing the nipple down, it does not let much heat or smoke escape. If I rotate it up, it makes the UDS appear to be smoking a pipe, lol.

14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; [B][I][COLOR=red]Rapid-Fire-Red[/COLOR][/I][/B] Thermapen!; [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][I]Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE![/I][/B][/COLOR]
hav is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
BobM
Babbling Farker

Many people run their probe wires under the lid and never have a problem. A grommet is a better option though. A grommet also keeps the wires more out of the way.

This is the grommet mod I did to my WSM.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...52#post2024152

I have a Maverick ET-732, it works well. Even though I use a probe grommet, the pit probe went bad after about 10 cooks and I had to by a replacement.

Good luck.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |

Last edited by BobM; 01-12-2013 at 12:02 PM..
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

On my UDS I went Low tech.
I drilled a hole less than 1/4", and insert the probe and wire.
I did this just below the rim and lid...
AND I stuff a tiny piece of Aluminum foil in the hole.
(Not really necessary, if tiny amount of smoke leaks out it's really only just below the exhaust holes...)

When not in use I drop a small bolt into the hole.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have both options,... a hole to sneak cable thermometers (both pit and meat probes) inside and I also mounted a 12" long thermometer a couple of inches below my upper grate to measure the temp in the center of the drum. My drums have a 40 to 50 degree difference in temperature readings between the short stem thermometer and the long stem thermometer, so I rely on the long stem one.

I have a small shelf for my cable therms, plugs and to hold my wiggle rod, the bottom photo was taken before I added the second thermometer.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

+1 on drilling the small hole. Works just fine for me.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358075490.850386.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358075514.422566.jpg

Not the best pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358075459.256741.jpg (44.2 KB, 160 views)
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

I use a truck tire valve stem- drilled out if necessary- to hold my thermometers. They bolt on and the stainless looks clean and simple.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
1dusty00a
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for all of the Great Ideas, ordered a Mav 732 yesterday and will install next weekend. have to devise a Creative shelf for it to reside on but, I've got a week to come up with that.

Thanks
Dusty
1dusty00a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
I use a truck tire valve stem- drilled out if necessary- to hold my thermometers. They bolt on and the stainless looks clean and simple.
Nice,... Can we see a photo or two of that?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

I just thread it out a open vent on top! Worked fine for years.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote