• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Just me and my cooker.

Cooknhogz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
BBQn in NW, Pa. cuz a brothers gotta eat.
OK, this is a new request that I'm not really sure on how to charge for. Friends of ours have a popular bar in town which I have done BBQ for many times over the years with great success but I supplyed most everything. They recently came to me about this next summer having real BBQ 2 to 3 Saturdays a month all summer long which besides the smoker, wood and seasonings they will supply everything meats, sides, and even radio advertising ,all I have to do is cook the meats. This has the potential to be really big and could be a great opportunity to get my name out to even more people. With thousands in equiptment I don't want to charge to little or to much. Basically looking for your thoughts on the matter on how to charge for this. I live about 19 miles away from the bar. Thanks

I'd figure out what my time is worth and then tack on a flat fee for the rental of your pit.

That being said, my time is valuable so I won't disclose what I would charge. The pit I'd rent out for $150-$200 per weekend, not including charcoal.

If you are enabeling them to make a large amount, they should be ok with paying you for your services.

I was thinking more of a per hr. charge on this also plus, a sm charge for my pit. This not being a 1x gig but a 2-3x a month gig is whats throwing me off. Theres aways somone out there trying to cut your prices so I have to come up with a reasonable, fair agreement with the establishment.

Call around and find out if anyone else is offering this kind of service and what they would charge? Do not let them know your a competitor, but say something to the fact that you own a restaurant and you would like to host a BBQ night 3 times a month for such and such hours and that you would provide blah and they need to bring their pit and their service what do they charge

They pay for everything.

$20 per hour.

You will find that its not worth it nor will they be able to afford it.

Basically your price for cooking will wipe out their profit.

I was thinking $20 per hour, too. And don't discount wear/tear on the equipment. I just burned out my Kingfisher and it would take about $6K to replace my model. Good luck. They think they are getting a free cook...

They pay for everything.

$20 per hour.

You will find that its not worth it nor will they be able to afford it.

Basically your price for cooking will wipe out their profit.

Not necessarily. If they have him cook enough, then any leftovers can be resold the next day without having to pay him anymore. The key is to get enough meat cooked.

Thanks for all the replys. I'm thinking the 20 per hr to start this is more than fair. What we at the bar were thinking up north lots of people love pulled pork, ribs, and chicken but we don't have anywhere to get good authentic BBQ like down south does. Closest thing to BBQ is Famous Daves and that isnt bad but not the best BBQ to me. Say people know that the 1st and 3rd week of the month they can get good BBQ at this establishment which is all ready a popular stop especilly with motorcycles people will come to eat and drink which the bar will make good money on drinks which is were a bar makes most of its money anyhow so hopfully its a win win situation for all or we hope. I'm thinking if its really a hit I can charge a little more down the road.

Let me try to explain this to all who want to work thru a middleman.

1 case of pork butts.... 65 lbs @ $1.15 lb = $75.00
15 hrs of labor at $20 = $300
You end up with 33ish lbs of pork making 100ish 1/3 lb sammies selling for ??? remember its a bar. Maybe $6? for a total of $600ish dollars...minus your labor and cost of meats leaving a profit of $225.

Make sense?

If I were a bar owner, there is no way I'm gonna stay on board for an extra $225.

I see this situation lasting one maybe two events.

There are a couple of other thoughts I have.

1. If you see this as an opportunity to market your name, but, you are not in control of the base ingredients, sides etc...then you risk you reputation on their decisions of sourcing and sides. This is not always a good risk.

2. Are you doing only the cooking and none of the plating? Have you settled on who moves the meat into the kitchen? Is there a kitchen? Are you really just cooking, or will you be doing plating as well?

3. Have you really considered pricing and whether the people coming to a bar are willing to pay for food. Food in a bar is not often a profit center. Do you get cash on closing, or is this to be an account type of thing?

If you want to venture into serving at a bar, why not get a temp license, set up outside the bar, and give the owner 10% for location plus utilities?

If I were a bar owner, there is no way I'm gonna stay on board for an extra $225.

I see this situation lasting one maybe two events.

Actually this would be a good deal for the bar. They make money serving drinks. If they can get extra people in the place without losing money, it's a win for them.

I would have dates posted on any advertising that is done. People won't remember 1st and 3rd Sat. The more specific you can be, the better.

I have an agreement with a local bar, I set the trailer up in their lot, outside the back door. I sell out of it, they take it into the bar to eat. I keep everything I sell, they get a Saturday night of selling 300 extra beers without having to hire a band.

win-win

I'm with Pyle's BBQ. The bar is looking for something to bring in patrons to sell them drinks, not another revenue source. This happens at bars every day with karaoke, bands, etc. At least with this scenario the owner is breaking even plus making some extra money. If it were me I'd do $35 an hour but that's just me. You have to make back your prep and cleanup time somewhere. If it was $20 an hour flat I'd be out.

There are a couple of other thoughts I have.

1. If you see this as an opportunity to market your name, but, you are not in control of the base ingredients, sides etc...then you risk you reputation on their decisions of sourcing and sides. This is not always a good risk.

2. Are you doing only the cooking and none of the plating? Have you settled on who moves the meat into the kitchen? Is there a kitchen? Are you really just cooking, or will you be doing plating as well?

3. Have you really considered pricing and whether the people coming to a bar are willing to pay for food. Food in a bar is not often a profit center. Do you get cash on closing, or is this to be an account type of thing?
1. I see this a great opportunity to get my name out to more people and if its advertised on the radio thats money in the bank. I will be cooking mainly just the meat and will have a say in the sides. I have BBQed for this bar many times in the past and its aways been a big hit. There food is excellent so no worry on bad sides.

2. I wont be plating, There staff will help, and yes there is a full kitchen.

3. I will be getting pay after the gig. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm with Pyle's BBQ. The bar is looking for something to bring in patrons to sell them drinks, not another revenue source. This happens at bars every day with karaoke, bands, etc. At least with this scenario the owner is breaking even plus making some extra money. If it were me I'd do $35 an hour but that's just me. You have to make back your prep and cleanup time somewhere. If it was $20 an hour flat I'd be out.
The owners and myself will sit down and come up with a fair agreement I'm sure. I figure start off at a more that reasonable price and if its a big hit I will be compensated for it. We have nothing on paper yet thats why I started here to get other peoples thoughts on the matter. This site is a great resource. Thank you all.

Last edited:
Back