Butcher Paper Wrapped Pork Butt Wrapped in Foil

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I recently barbecued a pork butt and used butcher paper (BP) to wrap it during the cook. I liked the results but I didn't like the long cook time. At my age, I much prefer shorter cooks.

So, I thought to myself, Self, I said, what if you wrap the pork butt in BP and then wrap it in foil?

So, here are the results. I rubbed a pork butt and started the fire in my keg. Brought the temperature up to 290* using white oak for smoke and put the butt on for 3 hours. After 3 hours, I wrapped the butt in BP with a layer of foil over that. After about another 2 1/4 hours, the butt was tender and ready to rest for an hour before pulling.

Here is the butt right after the rest.

picture.php

Nice and tender!

picture.php

Here it is after pulling it. Notice the bark. It has a nice chew and isn't as soft as the bark that is generally produced with foil only. I really liked the results and it only took about 5.5 hours for delicious BBQ pork.

picture.php

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Nice work once again Bo. So, how much time do you think using the foil cut off from your previous cook with only BP?

Bo, I did a 7.5 lb'er on low and slow today. Wish I'd took pic's of the process.

Bottom line is that I put it on at 9:30 AM and took it off at 6:00 PM using water in the pan with an average cook temp of 255*F.

IT when on the grill was 46*F Finish temp was 172*F probe tender. Pulled off the WSM and foiled and wrapped in a blanket for one hour to rest. Right now it's in the fridge to be pulled tomorrow.

I've located a local source for BP and can't wait to try it after reading your other great posts. I too would like to shorten my cooking time as I'll bet I'm older than you! ;D

THANKS!

Bo! You are on fire Bro! Seriously enjoying all your posts this last week or two! (Not that all of them aren't great!)

Back