Storing Meat After Trimming

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
For those that trim your meats the night before, how do you store them until inspection?

I know that ziplock has two gallon bags. Have you ever tried those? Do you think that they would hold a standard size brisket or a large pork butt?

Eric

I stored a 9 pound brisket in one this weekend. You could probably get 2 butts in one.

I vacuum seal ribs, chicken, and brisket and either trim pork on site, or put the two butts in one of those big ziplocs

Ziploc makes bigger bags than that. Try their XL bags - 10 gallons. You can put 4 butts in them, or 2 monster briskets, or a half dozen racks of ribs no problem. Save the 2 gallons for the chicken.

Whatever you do, please pay attention to cross contamination: Don't put your chicken in a bag, getting some on the outside of the bag, place the bag in a cooler of ice, and then store your parsley in that ice, for instance......

dmp

2 gallon bags everytime here. 4 racks of ribs in one 2 butts in one and a 14 ib brisky or smaller in another. if the brisket is two big i just wait till im on site to trim. i put 20 thighs in a 1 gallon to cut down on the amount of brine needed

ace hardware has the giant ziploc bags. They aren't labeled as food bags, they're marketed for storage. They work great thou. I don't use them, get all my meat from a butcher and he puts it all in clear plastic bags with twist ties. 1 Cooler for meat, 1 cooler for everything else.

Back