MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
LittleDick'sBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default brisket seasoning/injection(?)/wood combo?

Greetings,

Given what I have to work with, which of these would YOU use on the Christmas brisket?? I am planning on prepping a packer.

I also have choice of hickory or apple chunks tou use Minion-style on the Weber OTG.

Thank you,
Little Dick

(It's a sample pack with Kosmo's injection as an add-on.)

Char-Griller COS
Magma 15" kettle (for the boat)
LittleDick'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would use Apple for the wood. Other than that, I'd say you pretty much can not go wrong with those.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
LittleDick'sBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

....would you inject?
Char-Griller COS

Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
bam
is One Chatty Farker

Any of those rubs will work fine. Inject and use hickory.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
bigabyte

Me? No. I don't inject briskets I cook for friends and family. I have a simple method I follow that everyone loves, and I do that. However, I have had the pleasure of using Kosmo's Beef Injection on brisket and thought it was quite good! I'm not sure it's the kind of stuff you want to use regularly for "meals" though.

I'm sure some folks (especially some comp folks) probably only cook briskets with it and serve it to everyone, even friends and family who are over for a brisket meal, so the answer is probably personal really.

Are you still new at brisket? Do you have a regular method you like? If so, use that to avoid unpleasant surprises as much as possible.

As for the rub I use for brisket, the Season-All is the closest approximation to my brisket rubs. Mike (bbqbull) made brisket at the American Royal this year using Sweet Seduction and Kosmos, and it was very tasty. All of Steph's rubs are good, and I don't think you can pick a wrong one, to be honest. Also, Yardbird is one of my primary go-to seasonings for everything (except brisket that is).
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
bigabyte

OK, after thinking about it, if it were me (and there is absolutely no reason you should have to do it this way), I would make my packer brisket for Christmas dinner this way, using those ingredients:

After coming in from lighting your charcoal (or whatever method you use to get your fire started...

Sprinkle on some Yardbird, followed by some Season-All. Not too thick, just get a thin layer all over the meat with each one.

Dust with black pepper, a fair coating, but do not cake it on, just enough for it to stick.

If you have some Montreal Steak Seasoning, put a layer of that on over the top of everything, as much as you can get to stick on. This is for the chunky bits of salt, pepper, garlic and stuff.

If you have some Crushed Red Pepper flakes, sprinkle some on for a little kick, based on the heat you would like.

Let the meat rest until the pit comes up to temp, then put the brisket on, fat cap down (since your heat is coming from below...remember this is just the way I would do it).

Leave it be, only opening to refuel as needed. If you plan on foiling or any of that, do as you normally would, or planned to do. I do not foil, but then again, I don't make briskets on a kettle grill either.

Pull the meat when it is probe tender in both the flat and the point. They will not both become tender at the same time, and you must wait for it. Don't pull to early, wait for both to be probe tender.

That's it. That is how I would do it. You can do it any other way you wish, but since you basically asked what I would do, there it is.

Duh.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

i use low sodium beef broth coffee and butter to mix in with kosmos then season with just about anything there. i am partial to apple for smoking brisket

Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
JD McGee

My two cents...the evening before (or about 8 hours) inject with the Kosmo's @ 1/2 cup powder to 16 oz water then give the brisket a heavy dusting of Season All followed by a moderate dusting of Yardbird. One hour before you put your brisket on give it another light dusting of both rubs...then smoke it the way you like it using the hickory! Have fun!
JD
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

I like to rub with Olive Oil, then apply a 'rub', spray with Apple Juice.
It becomes nearly a paste. Then I cover it and put it in the refrigerator
for the night. The next morning I add a little more rub and put it on the UDS.
(Fat Cap down)
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
LittleDick'sBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Greetings,

Thanks for the replies. I am leaning toward an overnight injection and an early morning rub application (GAWD that sounds durty!). I do not want the salt in the rub to extract too much moisture. Thoughts?

Little Dick
Char-Griller COS

Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
big brother smoke

Dick,

If I were in your shoes, I would inject 8 hours before smoking that brisky. After injecting, I would hit it with the season all, coarse black pepper, garlic and onion powder. Wrap brisky in saran wrap tight and place in the fridge. Smoke at 250º for approximately six hours or 160º, wrap in foil, put an ounce or two of leftover injection in the wrap. Start checking the brisky if using a temp gauge of some sort at 187º. After this step, stop looking at the temp and go by the "butter feel" or probe tender. Let brisky rest for a minimum of 3 hours (YMMV). Doing this step, my brisky has a 9 hour cook time +/_.

Slice brisky, serve, receive praise and enjoy your holiday/s.

Steph

p.s. do not ask GroundHog66