MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Price of peanut oil?

The plan is to fry a turkey this year. Have read multiple posts and have the strategy down for a safe, tasty, fun turkey fry.

In trying to figure out how much oil to have on hand (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=120084) I found that prices can vary quite a bit (as with many things).

So, If you are frying a turkey this year, can you let me know the price in your neck of the woods i.e. cost, quantity/volume purchased, and where it was purchased from.

Here in Houston:
Costco 35lbs (4.5gallons) was $36 + tax.
Bass Pro 3gallons was $36 + tax

That's a significant difference!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Veg oil fries a nice bird also

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Team DD
Full Fledged Farker

I second the vegetable oil. I have done plenty of birds with vegetable oil.
Team DD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Woodmonkey
Full Fledged Farker

Wally World this week is $32 for a 3 gallon container here in Melboooring Fl.
Woodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmonkey View Post
Wally World this week is $32 for a 3 gallon container here in Melboooring Fl.
That's a steal!

Cali, my advise is to buy now because they really jack up the price as T-Day approaches around here. (As much as $20 a gallon!)
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

It's $29 here at most places for 3 gallons, I checked the price at the end of last month and it was freakn 19 bucks for 3 g at academy.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
That's a steal!

Cali, my advise is to buy now because they really jack up the price as T-Day approaches around here. (As much as $20 a gallon!)

$20/gallon?! That's steep! Got mine from Costco for ~$8/gallon, but I think I will have more than I need. Better than falling short I guess.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Old 11-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

In the past I've seen 3 gal bottles of blended peanut and canola oil much cheaper than pure peanut oil. Just thought I'd throw that out there as another option.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Doesn'thelp right now but buy it after the Christmas season for a steal..Bought 3 gallon containers from Lowes for $7.50 when I bought my Charbroil oil less fryer, and Butterball indoor electric fryer. They were $20 and $22 respectively!!! You can get some insane deals at Lowes and when I checked the oil will stay good easily to next years holiday time.

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post
Doesn'thelp right now but buy it after the Christmas season for a steal..Bought 3 gallon containers from Lowes for $7.50 when I bought my Charbroil oil less fryer, and Butterball indoor electric fryer. They were $20 and $22 respectively!!! You can get some insane deals at Lowes and when I checked the oil will stay good easily to next years holiday time.

brickie
Great tip. I will keep my eyes peeled for sales after xmas. Lowes has some great deals during their post-season sales. Now, if they would just put Stubbs briqs on sale again.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

I hear cottonseed oil will work well.