MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Learned a costly lesson from IRS

We completed our 1st full year in business this past spring and as April 15th was coming around I called my accountant to have hime file an extension for us with the IRS. This was our 1st time filing as a Chapter S Corp. He then notified me that a Corporation must file taxes by March 15th not April 15th, he said he would file a personal extension and for us to get all of our tax info to him. We thought we were ok with the personal extension filed and took another two three months getting our accountant all of the info and he then filed it for us and all is good right?

Well we got our tax money back two months ago and we now know we have to file an extension next year by March 15th. As a bend over and learn this lesson from the IRS today I get a letter stating they are fining me $175 per month per officer of the corporation and there is two ( my wife and I) for the 3 months after March until I filed and I owe them $1100 due two weeks from today. Really sucks when you are trying to get on your feet, I think being a new corporation I should have gotten a warning, I could see it if I had been in business for a few years but I did not know and thought I was ok with the personal extension filed.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would also ask your accountant why he didn't notify you when you didn't notify him. I have run businesses for over 20 years, and one of the accountants jobs is to help you handle the financial side of the business. He should have recognized that you did not contact him and asked what was happening.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
PitRow
is one Smokin' Farker

Kinda the same deal here, though totally my fault.... I thought I sent in my LLCs papers, but in August I found them sitting on my desk still. 3 LLC members x 4 months late x $195/mo = $2340 in fines. For an LLC that made less than $100 in profit last year.

I really think it should be on a sliding scale based on your profit. Those huge corporations can easily afford to pay that fine, mine.... well we're talking about closing up shop now.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I would also ask your accountant why he didn't notify you when you didn't notify him. I have run businesses for over 20 years, and one of the accountants jobs is to help you handle the financial side of the business. He should have recognized that you did not contact him and asked what was happening.
Dam straight he should have notified you
thats his job!!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Man, that sucks. I know, I went through the exact same thing when I became a LLC several years ago and simply assumed the partnership return was ok to file late and didn't file til several months later.

His accountant in the OP's case should have definitely notified him of the penalty upon filing the extension.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
deepsouth

time for a new accountant.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JO

Good Grief thats out of this world! Not hard to see why the economy is in the toilet..
Gone brick n mortar :crazy:
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
landarc

While I feel for the OP and anyone who has to pay tax penalties, I have certainly paid a few along the way, this is not why the economy in the the dumper. If you form a corporation, even an LLC, you have an obligation to learn what the law gives and takes from you. Being a corporation is not just about the protections, there are costs as well.

The responsibility here is completely the business owners and the consultants, the government did not change the law, nor is the OP being singled out. It sucks, but, the rules were there. For anyone considering a LLC, the attorney also owes you an obligation to make it clear that you are no longer an individual, and the laws change due to that. There has been a general breakdown of expertise in this case.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
danbrazelton
Got rid of the matchlight.

Lesson here is two fold - when you go into business - hire a lawyer and an accountant from day 1. Second: have both of them help you create a calendar of corporate events - there are also requirements to register annually with the California Secretary of State for example.
danbrazelton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
deepsouth

Quote:
While I feel for the OP and anyone who has to pay tax penalties, I have certainly paid a few along the way, this is not why the economy in the the dumper. If you form a corporation, even an LLC, you have an obligation to learn what the law gives and takes from you. Being a corporation is not just about the protections, there are costs as well.

The responsibility here is completely the business owners and the consultants, the government did not change the law, nor is the OP being singled out. It sucks, but, the rules were there. For anyone considering a LLC, the attorney also owes you an obligation to make it clear that you are no longer an individual, and the laws change due to that. There has been a general breakdown of expertise in this case.
citizens united vs. the federal election commission. corporations are people too.

;o)

Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
Dam straight he should have notified you
thats his job!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
time for a new accountant.

These seem to assume that the accountant was actually aware that an S Corp had been established.

I find that my wife, a CPA, never fails to be amazed at the things clients never inform her of until it is too late!
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
These seem to assume that the accountant was actually aware that an S Corp had been established.

I find that my wife, a CPA, never fails to be amazed at the things clients never inform her of until it is too late!

not speaking on the case of the OP, but i completely understand this and those are definitely different situations.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitRow View Post
Kinda the same deal here, though totally my fault.... I thought I sent in my LLCs papers, but in August I found them sitting on my desk still. 3 LLC members x 4 months late x $195/mo = $2340 in fines. For an LLC that made less than $100 in profit last year.

I really think it should be on a sliding scale based on your profit. Those huge corporations can easily afford to pay that fine, mine.... well we're talking about closing up shop now.
it amazes me how in a time when people are being laid off that they would stick it to you like this... not every buisness owner can afford a lawyer or even an accountant.
porkingINpublic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkingINpublic View Post
it amazes me how in a time when people are being laid off that they would stick it to you like this... not every buisness owner can afford a lawyer or even an accountant.
to me it seems it is the business owners obligation to know what is necessary required OR hire people that do--also SCORE is a great resource/--as is your banker

phatphingers like tapppytalk
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

No I don't in any way blame my accountant, while he did know I had started a business he was not fully aware of anything. It was my fault, but how is one to know the date is different? I think they IRS should make you aware of it when you file to become a corporation.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote