MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Zippylip
Full Fledged Farker

Default ceramic smoker appreciation thread???

I know this forum is dominated by metal smokers of all variety & there are lengthy threads devoted to the building/appreciation of these great cookers. I did a search & couldn’t find a ceramic smoker appreciation thread & thought maybe there should be one, hopefully you’ll add pictures of & comments about your ceramic cooker here.

My first was a large BGE in 2004, followed in 2008 by a mini which has since been co-opted by my daughter, given a custom handle & renamed ‘ballerina egg’.

By the way if this thread already exists please delete . If not, lets see'm, here's mine:

The original setup, made a table out of cedar planks:

after the mini joined up:

action shot:

tired of getting rained on so I put up a roof (the hut):

added a brick table:

the addition of the new ballerina handle on the mini for my cookin buddy (the daughter):

all ready for cookin:

Zippylip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

NICE! Dig the set up!

Sadly, I cannot join in due to the fact that I'm a CHEAP ARSE and have not yet procured a BGE or other ceramic cooker. BUT....I sure would LOVE to have one!!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Tweev
Found some matches.

Isn't one forum enough for you??? :)

Been busy with non-BBQ life. I hope things are good on your end.
Tweev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
RavenFever
Found some matches.

Haven't had one in years, but was introduced to them in the late 60's! Actually....when I was in the USAF, I was on flight status and most crewmembers brought them back directly from Japan. Absolutely great cookers.... from incredible burgers on up and easy to control. I'll have again now that I'm getting back into Q'ing and learning more about smoking!

Taken care of, they'll last a long time....even in the elements!
RavenFever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

There is a Social Group "All things Ceramic" in the User CP link

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=13

I'm into old Japanese Kamados and have 2 LBGE's, but I'm not a rabid foaming at the mouth Egghead. If ya know what I mean...

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks to the help of one of our Brethrens, I picked up my first BGE last weekend.

My first cook was some chicken:

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
"Sparky"
On the road to being a farker

I'm not addicted to ceramic cookers,really....I can quit anytime I want too

I remember when I got my first two BGE's(medium and small) back in 04'.I built a little roof over them on my tiny old deck that I quickly outgrew.

"Sparky" is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
MadMedik
Found some matches.

There is tons of information in Qtalk that works for all cookers. Love the site. Like this thread too. My KomodoKamado from Dennis Linkletter in Indonesia. Had for almost three weeks. Love it. Done BBQ, pizza, cake and brownies, and going to try bread soon. Pleasantly surprised, it will get better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303865284.674767.jpg (37.5 KB, 212 views)
Weber round grill
Minelab Explorer
MadMedik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

There's discussion group cleverly hidden under "social groups" ... search for "all things ceramic".... I'm an Egghead, too.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Those things are sweet. I'd love to have one but my bank account is afraid of them. Maybe it would be a good item to put on the christmas wish list :)

Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #11
LT72884
Babbling Farker

is it possible to sticky all the appreciation threads? Such as the webber kettle, the wsm, the cermaic cooker, the uds and what not? haha

Anyway. i would love to own a ceramic cooker. I just have no money to do so. haha

My question is this. Is there a taste difference between food smoked on a wsm/uds and a BGE? Just smoked not grilled. haha.

thanks

Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Zippylip
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post

My question is this. Is there a taste difference between food smoked on a wsm/uds and a BGE? Just smoked not grilled. haha.

thanks
LT, I don’t think there is any difference in flavor from cooking on ceramic vs. metal, last night I did 4 bone-in chicken breasts on my kettle. Piled the coals up on one side & did a nice sear skin side down for a little while, then moved them to the opposite side, added a fist full of wild apple chips & finished them off indirect, took about 30 minutes to hit 160 degrees internal. Threw some corn on the cob over the fire near the end. The finished product was spectacular, every bit as good as any chicken I’ve ever done on the egg. I think there are people that will maintain that the food tastes better but that has not been my experience – I love the egg for its versatility & ease of use, but not to the exclusion of any other method of cooking
Zippylip is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I love my Kamado Joe, having a blast cooking on it. Just got my Stoker in the mail yesterday and will be doing some dry runs this week with the stoker log on the computer.

GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

I've got a couple of eggs to cook on but like zippylip I'm not fanatical about them.

For low and slow it's my preferred cooker but the kettle gets just as much use.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
PORQY
Knows what a fatty is.

My coconut-tiled Kamado #7: www.kamado.com

I love cooking w/ ceramic cookers!
Ceramic Kamado.com #7 | KCBS judge | On two BBQ teams
PORQY is offline   Reply With Quote