• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Camping, Hobo Stew, and CI DO cooking Pron..

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Well the family and I got back on Saturday from two separate trips up to the mountains in New Mexico. Weather was gorgeous!! Clouds, rain, cool temps........the beer went down so much better up there!:-D Anyhow, our last trip was up to Eagle Creek in Alto, NM. My godson Wesley wanted me to show him how to cook in the DO over a live fire............so we cooked up a mean Hobo Stew. We went out and cut down some dry oak and made a tripod (Bear Grylls style) and had a great time. I wish I was back up there right now!! Enjoy the pron.
3739079247_16613f0fe2_o.jpg

3739873566_c3b1f29513_o.jpg

3739873808_66370e5d5d_o.jpg

3739080377_890f909d2d_o.jpg

3739874438_1c05d1dedf_o.jpg

3739080809_be737e8a03_o.jpg

Njoy!

Last edited:
Awesome pics bro, thanks for sharing. Wesley sure looks like he's having good time, he has an ear-to-ear grin on every pic!

Judging by the look on the young man's face you made his day. I like the cast iron pot, that's nice. Another thing for my wish list.

Looks like everyone was having a great time, esp. you godson..... those smiles ..... PRICELESS

You can't beat campfire food.
But; what's this in your picture?

camp1.jpg

:-D The horses were helping my buddy get a better signal. They have dish service at home so all they gotta do is haul the extra dish and receiver and have all the TV they want. :lol:

Hobo stew brings back happy memories from my childhood. I'm gonna have to make me up a batch soon. Thanks for the pics!

Looks like a great weekend, and that cooking setup looks great. You do not forget times like those, photos or not, you made memories for that boy. And maybe he will learn to cook for you someday.

Thanks everyone. It was truly a great time. I'll be creating a new album in my profile page with more pics later tonight. My two kids are camping fools..........they love it. They even get depressed when we hafta come back.:cry:

mmmmmm... hobo stew! i used to cook it in a coffee can when i was a kid. i still make it on the stove once in a while. what did you put in yours? nice shots! i'm gonna make the tripod with the kids.

It would be easier to tell you what we didn't put into it(Kitchen sink mod). One package of bacon. We used the bacon grease to brown the onions, skirt meat, and chicken breast. One package of Hamm Beans. Then some frozen maters I had from last years garden, some frozen veggies mix, mater sauce, wooster sauce, garlic, onion, one beer(no one knows about this but us!) At the end went in some Jasmine rice. Some leftover hot dogs went in and whatever else I could find, but that's all I remember at the moment. Cool thing about hobo stew is that it's never the same!:wink:

Back