• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

bge nomex gasket install

• Thread starter Rick's Tropical Delight
  • Start date
R

Rick's Tropical Delight

my newest large egg had a gasket failure mainly because whoever cooked on it at last year's eggtoberfest spilled a lot of bbq sauce in one spot. i made a pizza a while ago and this happened:

tritippizza-005.jpg

i decided to contact the bge headquarters and they sent me a nomex gasket. free.

i installed it last night after pulling off the original felt gasket, and removing the adhesive with acetone on a sock.

gasketchange-001.jpg

you want to get it this clean if you can. this was a pretty new egg, so older eggs will have the ceramic not so white :biggrin:
(you might notice a crack in this photo. i ain't scared. they will replace it if it gets worse and shows up on the outside of the dome)

gasketchange-006.jpg

i cut the new nomex gasket exactly in half and put the two pieces in the dryer on low for about 10 minutes to "pre-shrink" the gasket material.

i used 3M super 77 spray adhesive and sprayed some in a glass jar and used a cheap paint brush to paint the adhesive on the rim of the base and dome. i sprayed one side of the gasket pieces and let it set about 2 minutes until tacky. i started placing the gasket around each surface not stretching and pressing down firmly to make a good bond. it was easy. i cut the end of the gasket off with a scissors leaving it a little long for shrinkage.
i temporarily placed the dome back on the base to "seat" the gaskets in place with the weight. i balanced a few cookbooks on top of the dome to add more weight. i let it sit for 24 hours, then fired him up.

nice and white. like he got his teeth whitened :biggrin:

gasketcook-004.jpg

gasketcook-005.jpg

had to cook something on this first cook. i kept it 300 degrees or under to help the new adhesive set and absorb into the pores of the ceramic and the gasket.

gasketcook-010.jpg

i think i figured out why they call this new gasket "nomex". :idea:

it's not from mexico.

:biggrin:

you'll notice i took the dome off to replace its gasket. just remove the upper band bolt and lift the dome out, straight up. i didn't secure the bands or anything, just be aware they are still under spring tension and lift the upper band to the open position slowly. now loosen the lower band bolt and remove the band/hinge assembly. some people will put towels on the base and insert the inverted dome into the base to work on the gasket surface. i used the top of one of my carts with towels and it held the dome perfectly.

Must get me one of those ASAP. Thanks for the play by play.

my medium needs a replacement also. it will be three years old this september so the gasket is showing some wear. it doesn't really need it, but i think i'll do it now that i see how easy it is to replace a gasket.
it's considered a maintenance item.

they don't really refer to it as a nomex gasket. most of what i did was straight off the instruction sheet.

nomexinstruct-001.jpg

Thanks for the information Rick, someday I will need to replace my large gasket, will do a search and your information will be invaluable to us eggers here!

Back