MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
IrishSimon
Got Wood.

Default Smoking????

Hey guys,
It is nigh on impossible to purchase smoking chips/chunks over here in Ireland at the moment.....what do you reckon I could use instead?
Is it possible to just cut some myself from apple, gorse etc and let them dry out and if so how long do u think the drying out process would take?
Would I even have to dry them or just use fresh?

Old 12-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Apple is a great wood to smoke with. If you have apple, cut some to season and also look for dead branches to cut, that will get you going faster. You need to let the green wood season, I would say 6 months Min.
Also welcome to the board.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
mbshop
Babbling Farker

and next time stock up ! but yea, try finding some dry stuff and shaving it. or just cut them into small chunks.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

I've never been to Ireland so i cant comment on what is available for local use.
Do you have any orchards locally?
You might be able to find some fruit woods to use there.
What hardwoods are available there?
Keep your eyes open after storms.
Happy hunting.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I heard ppl use Peat or Pete or whatever

Old 12-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
IrishSimon
Got Wood.

I have heard of peat being used but it is now ILLEGAL to cut the stuff for the sake of """preserving the environment"""!!!
I can get apple but it would be fresh so you reckon I would need to dry it out first?
I found a site called "grilling fools" that says using green wood is fine but thought I would consult the experts first!
Thanks guys.
Ps.......yeah stocking up would have been a good idea!

Old 12-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
Shoes
On the road to being a farker

if i had to choose between waiting for the only applewood chunks in all of ireland drying out for 6 months, and smoking my supper today with fresh applewood chunks...well im hungry now and might get hit by a bus tomorrow.
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
IrishSimon
Got Wood.

Now that is my new philosophy man!!!!!!!!!!:-d:-d:-d

Old 12-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
T&S BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

We were in Ireland a year ago last Sept and the peet logs were in piles all over the place around Mam Cross over by Cliffdon. But I can't imagine using it to smoke with, it smell good sitting around a fireplace though. If you cut small pieces you could season in 2 to 3 months. I think you could get some apple or oak if you talked to some of the landowners. Remember you only need small pieces, and that means only the trimmings, which usually gets thrown into a burn pile. Good luck
P.S. were going back in sept again because we loved it so much.
T&S BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
caseydog

Apple is a wonderful wood for smoking, especially with pork.

I would recommend that you let it "season" before using, which is just letting it naturally dry. You can cut it into chunks at any time, and you may find it easier to cut while it is green. Then, let it dry for at least three months, or if you have the patience, more like six months. If you cut it while green, it will season faster.

Wherever one lives, trees need pruning, and occasionally, you have to cut one down. I get a lot of my oak wood chunks from pruning my own Oak tree, or from asking a tree service working nearby for some of their branches. Free wood!

Seriously, when I see a crew pruning an oak tree near me, I ask them if I can have some wood for my smoker, and they cut up pieces I can carry home, or stuff into my Mini Cooper. In other words, you can get some good wood for smoking by scavenging for it.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

I think if you have access to apple, you will be able to find some dead branches to get started with.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Definitely cut your own wood if you have the chance.
One thing to keep in mind too...I would steer away from any fruit woods that have been sprayed with pesticides or chemicals.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
Pooky
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey Simon - We've got a follower on Twitter called Brendan O'Connor - I don't know the guy, but he runs a BBQ catering business. He's based in Kerry, but might know someone who'll ship to you in Dublin, or know somebody a bit closer who can help - I'd imagine he must have a pretty good wood supplier for his business.

I hope I'm ok to post this link to his site - You'll find his contact details there

http://www.bbqjoes.ie/bbqjoe/Contact.html

I hope this helps!

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dport7 View Post
I think if you have access to apple, you will be able to find some dead branches to get started with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Apple is a wonderful wood for smoking, especially with pork.

I would recommend that you let it "season" before using, which is just letting it naturally dry. You can cut it into chunks at any time, and you may find it easier to cut while it is green. Then, let it dry for at least three months, or if you have the patience, more like six months. If you cut it while green, it will season faster.

CD
It is definitely easier to chunk / chip when it is green like "CaseyDog" suggested. The smaller chunks dry quicker than whole pieces. Also any dead branches are good to go as they are cut up.

I cut my own wood as my friend has apple. cherry, and peach orchards. He has me cut in the winter to prevent any contamination in the orchard.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

I don't know if you are near Dublin(that looks like the only city that has craigslist in Ireland) but check there under free. I'm picking up a cherry tree and a sugar maple that a guy cut down yesterday for free! Idk what a seasoned half cord of fruit wood would be there but here it ain't cheap! I haven't bought wood in over a year. People just want it out of there yard and will most of the time just give it to you. He said he would even help me load it
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote