Advice for first spatched chickens? Pic added.

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Going to try 2 on the WSM. I've tried a couple of whole chickens before low and slow but the skin was like rubber. I've heard you have to smoke them at a higher temp to keep the shin good.

What temp is good?
What wood? I have peach, hickory, pecan and oak.
Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
325 or higher for me.

I brine chicken unless I am forced to buy enhanced chicken because real chicken isn't available. My normal chicken brine is 1/2 cup Morton kosher salt, 1/2 cup sugar, a couple of tablespoons on soy sauce, a couple of table spoons of poultry seasoning and a gallon of water. I heat it to just under boiling to steep the herbs and then chill before using.

Cherry is my favorite wood for chicken but peach and a little hickory is good.

Dry skin, higher heat. My barrel will run 450 at full burn, and I hang my chicken. Skin never does get crisp, like fired chicken does. Also using fryers, instead of roasters, (smaller, younger birds?) seems to help.

I run my spatchcocked chickens at 350-375 degrees at grate level. It turns out just fine.
ding ding ding...and go ahead and pull your pan in the WSM all together for the chicken cook. Let the drippings go right down to the coals...and no don't worry about flare ups.

I cook mine skin side up around 325 for the first hour or so than flip it skin side down and crank the temp up to 400 for the rest of the cook. I dont brine just rub on and under the skin.

IMO i wouldn't worry about brine unless you have time to dry out the bird in the refrigerator. I never brine and mine come out dripping wet and loaded with flavor. Do rub down with olive oil and season under the skin as well as the outside....pull about 165 IT in the breast.

Setting the bird in the fridge (frost free fridge of course) uncovered for a couple hours before cooking will help dry out the skin for a nicer skin texture as well.

I agree with a temp range of 325-375 for great results and a faster cook. I always scratch my head when I see people cooking whole birds for more than 2 hours.

Cut out the back bone, remove the sternum, cook hot (350* or so) and I like to brush the skin with oil once the rub has set. The oil adds a great color and helps crisp the skin.

I've cooked chicken with all of the woods you listed and you can't go wrong with any of them. I'd give hickory or peach a shot for the first one.

Take pictures. :thumb:

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I ended running about 280*F. Next time I'll leave the dry pan out. Went about 2.5 hours. Skin looking a heck of a lot better than my last whole chickens. A lot learned here.

2a7a7bn.jpg

^^^that's some ninja chit right there! :thumb:

Good info here - I got nothin' new to add. I like to brine and cook hot. I go for a minimum of 300 and don't really care how high it goes - depends on when I wanna eat! I'll let it creep up to 400 - 450 even more sometimes - just gotta pay closer attention at those temps. I like my chix best in the UDS or the Weber kettles.

And - Nice job on the chix there! I'd hit it all day long! :hungry:

^^^that's some ninja chit right there! :thumb:

Good info here - I got nothin' new to add. I like to brine and cook hot. I go for a minimum of 300 and don't really care how high it goes - depends on when I wanna eat! I'll let it creep up to 400 - 450 even more sometimes - just gotta pay closer attention at those temps. I like my chix best in the UDS or the Weber kettles.

And - Nice job on the chix there! I'd hit it all day long! :hungry:

Yessir, I've never tried using my 18.5 like a UDS before because of the difference in grill heights. Looks like the lower would be done long before the upper rack O food. I'm liking that hanging idea though. :-D

Inject with some creole butter.
skin down for first hour at 325ish.
Breast away from heat if indirect cooking.
Flip and finished at 160-165.
creole butter will keep the bird really juicy.
its not just for turkey.:grin:
jon

An old man turned be on to butter and bird awhile back. When he smoked any bird, he would put a stick of butter for a turkey and 1/2 stick in chickens. That's what I did with these birds. It seems to penetrate all over while cooking. I do inject those Cajun fried turkeys though.

Back