Walmart charcoal , any good?

ericandcandi

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I Was In My Local Walmart Today And Noticed Their Price For An 18 Pound Bag Was Around Five Dollars.....At This Price Is It Any Good? I Think Its Called Backyard Charcoal.

:rolleyes:Is it a ridged briquette? If so, it's probably RO, and is probably good.
If not, who knows, but sounds like a small investment to find out.
Go buy a bag and report back. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:Is it a ridged briquette? If so, it's probably RO, and is probably good.
If not, who knows, but sounds like a small investment to find out.
Go buy a bag and report back. :rolleyes:

Do they make Royal Oak in China?

CD

If it is their Backyard Grill brand it is at least made in the USA according to picture of the bag on the Walmart website.

I may be mistaken on this experience being WalMart brand -- but I did get a cheap bag of Charcoal at WalMart once for use with some BBQ chicken.

The coal I got did a decent job of holding temperature and cooking for a reasonable period of time. My biggest issue with it was getting it to light which after about 10 minutes I decided was way behind schedule and heated it up with some extra lighter fluid and another match.

Other than the issues with lighting it, I don't recall having any problems with it. I've not tried a long smoke or anything with it though.

wally world charcoal

walmart charcoal is made by ROYAL OAK the brckets are larger than R.O. they seem to last a little longer it is well worth the price any charcoal bricket whith that design is made by R.O. it is patended

I have used it and it burns long after you get it going. It just seems to take longer to get started.

:pray::pray:
I may be mistaken on this experience being WalMart brand -- but I did get a cheap bag of Charcoal at WalMart once for use with some BBQ chicken.

The coal I got did a decent job of holding temperature and cooking for a reasonable period of time. My biggest issue with it was getting it to light which after about 10 minutes I decided was way behind schedule and heated it up with some extra lighter fluid and another match.

Other than the issues with lighting it, I don't recall having any problems with it. I've not tried a long smoke or anything with it though.

It is the only briquette is use in my UDS and kettle. Realy like it!! It does seem to take a few mins longer to lite but it last a long time too.

after being disappointed by my local grocery store brand, I learned that the Wally brand was RO. I've been using it happily ever since in my 18.5 WSM. a full ring w/a full load in a non-weber chimney gives me consistent temps and good longevity. I get multiple cooks out of a full ring just by knocking out the ash and adding a chimney of lit.
that being said, I have yet to christen my 18.5 ots. so I can't comment on how it works in a grill vs smoker.

walmart charcoal is made by ROYAL OAK the brckets are larger than R.O. they seem to last a little longer it is well worth the price any charcoal bricket whith that design is made by R.O. it is patended
If it's bigger briquettes it may be rebagged Royal Oak - Chef Select, if it is I'll be using it.

I have never used the Walmart stuff, but I have used the Academy brand (another "made by Royal Oak" brand). I have had similar issues with getting it lit. It does tend to burn a bit quicker (smaller briquettes) IMO, but it sounds like the Walmart stuff is larger.

I like it a lot. Like the bigger size. Mostly get Royal Oak at Menards, when it is on sale. But when it isn't, Wal-Mart big briquettes are always cheap.

Back