Flair Up Problem On The Grill

Cack

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
First, I use a gasser, but I can't imagine this is limited to them.

The last dozen times I've cooked steaks, I've had to almost constantly move the steaks around or do this or that because of the flair ups.

I will completely clean the grill and flame covers, and 5 minutes later there's a flair up.

We put a sprinkle of whoreshirerererererere sauce and Balsamic Vinegar on our steaks and let them sit for 30 minutes or so before they go on. Then I pat them dry ... and it still flairs up like crazy.

What am I doing wrong here? I used to never have this problem, but all of a sudden it ... wait for it ... it flaired up and has flair ups all of the time.

If you have pools of grease built up under the burners you will get flare ups as soon as a flaming drop of delicious fat hits them. If you have scraped out the bottom of your grill and wiped it down well you may just have some layers of grease that are catching. Burn it at full blast for about 20 min to get it as burnt out and cleaned up as you can... Best of luck!!!

Don't use all your burners so you have a Cool zone and cook with the top down.also clean the sludge out of the bottom of that gas belcher.

If you have pools of grease built up under the burners you will get flare ups as soon as a flaming drop of delicious fat hits them. If you have scraped out the bottom of your grill and wiped it down well you may just have some layers of grease that are catching. Burn it at full blast for about 20 min to get it as burnt out and cleaned up as you can... Best of luck!!!

I'll have to try this one and let it all burn it out.

Try doing the time approach, 5,6,7 minutes a side depending on how you like it and how thick they're cut. Put them on lid up wide open flame it looks like they should be burnt to a crisp but a 11/4 thick steak will be medium rare in 5-6 minutes a side. Also let them sit on the counter for 45 minutes so they aren't refrigerator cold. Good luck!

All good advice. Also, GrillGrates.com claim their product blocks flare-ups. Though I've never tried them.

Try doing the time approach, 5,6,7 minutes a side depending on how you like it and how thick they're cut. Put them on lid up wide open flame it looks like they should be burnt to a crisp but a 11/4 thick steak will be medium rare in 5-6 minutes a side. Also let them sit on the counter for 45 minutes so they aren't refrigerator cold. Good luck!

I do mine fairly hot. I like my steaks hot and fast. I think I just need to burn it out real good next time.

I don't believe heat source is going to effect flair ups ... but do continue telling me how charcoal improves life by 500%. :rolleyes:

using a covered kettle and charcoal you dont get flare ups. There is not enough oxygen to support a flame

I like the flare-ups. I keep a bottle of water handy to douse the real big flare-ups. But, generally with a steak, or lamb chops, whatever, I am looking to color up the outside, get some medium rare going, the fire is just a part of the show. On a gas cooker, the flame is rarely hot enough to ruin the cook, move the meat to the edge, spray with water and then get back to it.

I like the flare-ups. I keep a bottle of water handy to douse the real big flare-ups. But, generally with a steak, or lamb chops, whatever, I am looking to color up the outside, get some medium rare going, the fire is just a part of the show. On a gas cooker, the flame is rarely hot enough to ruin the cook, move the meat to the edge, spray with water and then get back to it.

I don't mind the flare ups. I like the extra bark/burnt it gives it. I just don't like the constant flare ups that will sit on top of the flame covers.

Take a putty knife and scape the greas from under the burners when it is cool.

Also keep a spray bottle of water and use the mist to suppress flare-up after cleaning.

When I had a 'Gasser' I solved my problem with Aluminum Foil on the bottom. Changed it out, few if any flare-ups.

This is why you should always have a beer in hand while grilling! You know? For safety purposes only:mrgreen:

I used grill grates on my old Dynasty gasser. The helped a lot. NO problems with th new Weber 330

Back