MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
misterrachel
On the road to being a farker

Default Cow Kisses

As a Kansas City native, I was raised on burnt ends. I love ‘em all the way up to the clear blue sky! However, I’ve often found that the burnt ends I get from one point aren’t enough for me to share with guests and still get some myself. Plus, there’s the issue of having to cook a whole packer every time I want some. I started wondering if I could replicate burnt end flavors/textures with another cut of beef… A couple weeks ago, I was enjoying lunch at one of my favorite authentic taquerias and a thought occurred to me, “Why not tongue?” I’d previously eaten beef tongue in three forms:
  1. The kind that looks/tastes exactly like corned beef. My parents always had this around when I was a kid.
  2. The kind that you make into lengua tacos (such as the ones I was eating at that moment)
  3. The kind you can turn into a delicious pot roast-like dish.
I decided it was time to add a #4 to the list. So, I procured a calf’s tongue at a local farmer’s market along with a beast of a tongue from good old Walmart. In my opinion, the biggest challenge to cooking/serving cow tongue is not the fact that it’s one tough muscle, it’s getting over the “yuck” factor of messing with a tongue! My kids, however, thought it was awesome.

Without further ado, I give you my take on faux burnt ends, I'm calling 'em "Cow Kisses"

Step 1: Slice up an onion and throw it in the bottom of your crockpot. Add as much/little garlic as you like. A shallot might be tasty here too, but I didn’t have one handy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0769.JPG (74.7 KB, 528 views)

Old 08-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
misterrachel

Step 2: Rinse and pat the tongues dry. Throw those big lickers in the crockpot. Season with kosher salt & black pepper. We’ll be seasoning this with rub & sauce later, so you don’t need to go overboard on the salt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0770.JPG (90.8 KB, 523 views)

Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
misterrachel

Step 3: Cover the tongues with water and throw in 3 to 4 bay leaves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0771.JPG (89.2 KB, 520 views)

Old 08-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
misterrachel

Step 4: Let that crockpot rip for about 8 to 10 hours on low. I suppose you could also throw these in a stockpot and simmer for 3 to 4 hours if you’re in more of a hurry. I did this step overnight and boy-howdy did my house smell great in the morning!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0772.JPG (88.5 KB, 520 views)

Old 08-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Jayblefty

Can't wait to see how this turns out! Love me some burnt ends, and I have no issue with cow tongue! Cow Kisses!!! I Love it!

Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
misterrachel

Step 5: And now for the icky part… Time to peel that leather from the top. It should be pretty easy to do, I just made a small slit at the end and used my fingers to peel the skin away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0774.JPG (105.8 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0776.JPG (96.6 KB, 518 views)

Old 08-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
misterrachel

Step 6: You have a choice to make here. At this point, you have a superbly delicious/tender cut of meat here. You could shred it and make some great lengua tacos. Slice it into medallions and serve it as you would a rich pot roast. Or, continue on to bbq bliss! I sliced mine up into medallions and then into squared, “burnt end” style chunks.

I seasoned them up with rub (Plowboy Bovine Bold, this time) and sauced with Hayward's Original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0778.JPG (127.0 KB, 518 views)

Old 08-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
misterrachel

Step 7: They went into the UDS at 275 degrees for about 3 hours. I mixed them around about every hour or so. I had enough sauce in there that I didn't really need to top them off.

The verdict? They came out OMFG delicious!!! My wife and friends were totally floored. Everything you could hope/want out of a burnt end and the flavor is just rich beefiness beyond belief! Truth be told, I probably could've ramped up the heat a little more for some added crispiness, but I was completely thrilled with the result.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0780.JPG (150.0 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0781.JPG (160.0 KB, 516 views)

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'd slip that cow some tongue!

Old 08-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Great effort mate ,that looks delish

Old 08-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

I've gotta try this. WOW.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #12
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Hmmm...I just mite need to slip the Missus some tongue one day soon! Those burnt ends look mighty fine but I think I have to go the tongue taco route. I've had em but never made em myself. Thanks for the post!
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #13
lemur
Full Fledged Farker

Did the tongue take any wood?

Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #14
misterrachel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur View Post
Did the tongue take any wood?
Yep, I used hickory.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #15
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sa-WEET! I've got tongue in the freezer, I think. Gonna try it!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cow kisses