MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default are there any homemade mayo experts on the forum?

so, i don't eat mayo unless i make it, which isn't a problem as it takes almost no time to make it from scratch, but i have run into consistency problems with it. it's never too thin, but it's not always the consistency i'd like it.

this weekend, i'm looking to make a base mayo and then several variations from that, jalapeno, bbq, garlic and finally a spicy one using either garlic chili or sriracha.

for this project, i'm wanting a nice thick (and fluffy) mayo as the base since the other components will thin it down.

my usual ingredients in this type of mayo is...

vegetable oil
lime juice
rice wine vinegar
salt
sugar

my questions are.....

for a thick and fluffy mayo, should i used whole egg or just the egg whites (or does this have no bearing on thickness)?

does the acid from the lime and vinegar have anything to do with the thickness of the finished product and if so, does more or less thicken it?

any tips would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I use just egg yolks.

I use vinegar in mine because the acidity is more concentrated than lemon juice, yielding less watery mayo. I've never tried it but a stronger more concentrated vinegar might even be better.

If you want some mustard in the mayo, use very finely ground mustard powder instead of ballpark mustard.

Btw, you can repair a broken mayo easily by taking a small amount of storebought mayo, put it in a container and start working your broken mayo into it ( a little trick I learned from James Peterson book).

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
I use just egg yolks.

I use vinegar in mine because the acidity is more concentrated than lemon juice, yielding less watery mayo. I've never tried it but a stronger more concentrated vinegar might even be better.

If you want some mustard in the mayo, use very finely ground mustard powder instead of ballpark mustard.

Btw, you can repair a broken mayo easily by taking a small amount of storebought mayo, put it in a container and start working your broken mayo into it ( a little trick I learned from James Peterson book).
try as i might, i have never been able to break mayo, thankfully.

more acid = less watery? am i reading that right?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
try as i might, i have never been able to break mayo, thankfully.

more acid = less watery? am i reading that right?
I find that if I use a more concentrated acid (say vinegar compared to lemon juice for example), i get a thicker mayo. To get the same amount of desirable tang in your mayo you'd have to use plenty more lemon juice than you would vinegar, therefore a thinner mayo.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Brother Matt
Full Fledged Farker

The acid is there to help with keeping everything emulsified. You can do away with it if you emulsify carefully, and will get a creamier end product. Also, the oil matters. Try making a batch without any citrus or vinegar, and then try a couple different oils. You'll find one that works for you, I'm sure.

As for yolks/whites, I use both just because I want to use the whole egg, but I've had good creamy mayos made with just whites, so that may be something to try as well.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
PatAttack

Jason, just buy Duke's and quit tryin' to be all fancy!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
LOL. i don't think we get that down here pat. plus, i don't roll like that!

Old 07-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
I don't eat plain mayo, but when using it in recipes and cooking with it, Dukes is the ONLY way to go!!!!

I've often thought about making some homemade to see I would like it.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

I use whole eggs, fresh squeezed lemon juice, evoo, and salt. Just like granny taught me. I make my own because Dukes adds Sugar!

Old 07-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
Crimson
Knows what a fatty is.

I use hard boiled egg yokes and one raw yoke for my potato salad.
3 hard-boiled egg yolks, still warm
1 raw egg yolk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
In a large mixing bowl, mash the cooked yolks very well with a fork. Add the raw yolk and vinegar and beat with a metal whisk or large spoon for a few seconds until very creamy. Gradually add the oil in a thin steady stream, whisking constantly or stirring briskly and mak­ing sure all the oil is incorporated before adding more. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
I don't eat plain mayo, but when using it in recipes and cooking with it, Dukes is the ONLY way to go!!!!

I've often thought about making some homemade to see I would like it.

you should try it! with a hand mixer, it takes me about two minutes from start to finish.

also, i don't heat store bought mayo either, never have. but i needed it for things i did like, so i started making my own...

Old 07-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Bludawg

I use the whole Egg in mine it make it lighter/fluffier 1large egg = 2 yokes in any mayo recipe.
I make mine in a Blender I blend the egg with the Acid of choice and other ingredients on high then drop to low and stream slowly at first a few drops at a time up to a thin stream. if it is to thick thin it with a little water.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometruckin View Post
I use whole eggs, fresh squeezed lemon juice, evoo, and salt. Just like granny taught me. I make my own because Dukes adds Sugar!
I think you might want to go do a little fact checkin'.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
landarc

I use whole egg, because it is easier and I don't have a half an egg. I also use vinegar, unless I want lemon as a flavor. Vinegar just means less liquid for the same amount of acidity. You COULD use an emulsifier, such as powdered mustard, some type of gum. etc...but, that is adding stuff just for texture. If I want to add lemon, I will grate some zest and muddle that into the vinegar. It takes on the lemon aroma without adding water. Excess liquid will be your problem.

Commercial mayonnaise makers use things such as guar gum and xanthan gum to aid in keeping the texture dense and emulsified. They also use a commercial vinegar or commercial lemon extract, which is much more concentrated than household vinegar or real lemon juice.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

I always use the Alton Brown recipe as my base and go from there.

Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->