Master Forge Mods

For the people thinking a UDS style basket isn't necessary, I had more consistent temps, and far less hassle using the basket. It makes clean up a breeze, allows oxygen to reach fire from everywhere, and the basket sits on top of the bolts that most people have already installed for their raised grate. All you do is attach a 6" wide strip of expanded metal to the outer edge of the raised grate you may already have. This doesn't need to be welded or anything, I used bailing wire. Then I grabbed an old clothes hanger and fashioned a handle for the basket. It all still fits under the water pan. An ATC is the thing that's not needed, if you fashion a proper damper cover for the intake hole, and create a proper exhaust, that is all you need to lock in at any temp from 230 to 350+.

Some people like an ATC for peace of mind, even with cookers like WSMs, BGEs etc. I just don't see why they are needed if the cooker is breathing right and has the built in ATC... The ability to adjust oxygen to the fire.

Spend that extra $$ on some good meat. Or beer!

some people (like me) just like an ATC. I can push a button, take the temp down to 160 for smoking sausage. When thats done, I can crank it up to 350 to do chicken

And I dont need some big basket of coals to do it.

thats just me.

So i ended up doing a few things.. i put a weber grate in the middle of the charcoal pan which works great, i put a fair amount of holes in the charcoal pan for air flow.. and i added legs... without touching the smoker it burnt from 7pm until 6am the next morning at 200 degrees... i just purchased the ATC PID temp controller from Auber Instruments to give it a try. If this thing keeps the temp at a steady 225 i will be real happy with all of the mods i did... d oyou recommend keeping all the vents closed when the fan is on?

So i ended up doing a few things.. i put a weber grate in the middle of the charcoal pan which works great, i put a fair amount of holes in the charcoal pan for air flow.. and i added legs... without touching the smoker it burnt from 7pm until 6am the next morning at 200 degrees... i just purchased the ATC PID temp controller from Auber Instruments to give it a try. If this thing keeps the temp at a steady 225 i will be real happy with all of the mods i did... d oyou recommend keeping all the vents closed when the fan is on?

all intake vents need to be closed so the ATC has full control of intake air. I would tape them off with foil tape.

On the smoker that I put a vent in the lid, I leave that open maybe 1/2 way to fully open.

On the other one that I did not modify, there is no lid vent, just the gap between the body and lid which is designed to get air out. I just left that the way it is.

okay cool.. fortubately Master Forge gave me another bottom part so i have on with all the pin holes and legs for quick smokes and i will use the unmodded one for longer smokes with the ATC. thanks for all of the help

Just in case you are interested, I just installed my Auber on my Master Forge.

I used a 1/8" ss Thermocouple and it also acts as a support for the controller, it works really well this way.

The Auber is nice since it uses standard K type thermocouples that are readily available in many configurations.

Last edited:
Buttburner, just curious did you cut the bottom of the charcoal pan out and then put the grates down. Hard to tell from the picture.

I cut mine out but will have to put alum catch pan down for ash.

Nice little smoker. Just got mine.

Back