Build Finished...Can I call it a Santa Maria?

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Some of y'all may have seen an earlier post of a fire ring I had made, 1/4" plate, 48" diameter, 16" tall with some Gator logo plasma cutouts.
photo4_zps43fc1116.jpg

In action at a camp out.
photo5_zpseeafd382.jpg

Well, been planning on making an adjustable grill for it, gathered up some materials on hand from previous projects and here is what we came up with. It's made to sit inside the fire ring, free standing. I'm a little surprised that it is very stable for only being 80#-100#, easy two to move it around.
010_zps9c215997.jpg

In addition to the fire ring, it has two major assemblies: The stand and the cooking grate. The stand has a 30" square base of 2"x2" tubing, the verticals are 2" angle, top bar is 2"x2" tubing.
003_zps4ade91c5.jpg

Made the cooking grate with two 10" vertical lifting guides. My logic is I can add a rotisserie at about 7"-8" above the cooking grate.
007_zpsa041dcfa.jpg

Decided on a boat winch & pulley system for lifting, here is a little detail.
006_zps8098b946.jpg

015_zps60651247.jpg

014_zps69ca3819.jpg

This one shows those 10" cooking grate guides moving in the opposed 2" angle - very smooth and no binding.
013_zpsd6244349.jpg

Plenty strong, 40# pool salt didn't even begin to stress anything.
009_zps7037cd61.jpg

So here it is again.
011_zpsb592c84f.jpg

Next time you see it it will be married up to the fire ring and cooking something.
OK, so now that it's ready to go, what do y'all think I should throw on for the first cook this weekend? Oh yea, is it OK to call it a Santa Maria style or do I need another name?

Very cool, nice work. You can call it anything you like, it has all the traits of a Santa Maria grate system.

Screwed up my left shoulder so I gotta crank with my right anyhow and the left is just good enough for a beer, or something stronger. Interesting the boat winch will ctank up or down with stops plus a free spool. So yep, I'm good to go.
Looks nice - good job but can you operate it with a beer in your hand?

I've been looking for a while but never seen a tri tip at any price here on north Florida. Alternates?

Publix can get them for you. Not cheap but just to try one...

Back