MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

Is The Paper Coated
They all are coated with the exception of the white newsprint and the wider rolls of butcher paper. Butcher paper and peach treated paper have a coating called sizing which gives them leak resistance and wet strength. Our 24",30", and 36" rolls of butcher paper are untreated, because they are not often used for meat wrapping (they're often used for crafts or for table covers). Freezer paper has an interior coating of polyethyene. This gives the paper strength, leak resistance, and prevents freezer burn for up to a year!
Can I Write on This Paper?

You can write with sharpie, pen, pencil, or crayon on any of these papers. However, you can only write on the outside of the freezer paper, due to the poly coating.
Are There Peaches in Peach Treated Paper (alt. What is Peach Treated Paper)?

There are no peaches in peach treated paper. Much like butcher paper, peach treated paper is coated with sizing for wet strength and leak resistance. But unlike other papers, peach treat paper allows the meat to breathe, allowing it to maintain an attractive color. Also, the darker color hides any juices that happen to leak. You should not freezer in peach treated paper (or butcher paper) unless you first wrap the product in plastic

Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #17
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

So the "sizing" treated paper is safe for wrapping meat in the smoker?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #18
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

That's what I'm a little uncertain about. One adds Red dye #40, do you want that to leak into your food? Not really sure about either right now.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #19
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmohr74 View Post
Is The Paper Coated
They all are coated with the exception of the white newsprint and the wider rolls of butcher paper. Butcher paper and peach treated paper have a coating called sizing which gives them leak resistance and wet strength. Our 24",30", and 36" rolls of butcher paper are untreated, because they are not often used for meat wrapping (they're often used for crafts or for table covers). Freezer paper has an interior coating of polyethyene. This gives the paper strength, leak resistance, and prevents freezer burn for up to a year!
Can I Write on This Paper?

You can write with sharpie, pen, pencil, or crayon on any of these papers. However, you can only write on the outside of the freezer paper, due to the poly coating.
Are There Peaches in Peach Treated Paper (alt. What is Peach Treated Paper)?

There are no peaches in peach treated paper. Much like butcher paper, peach treated paper is coated with sizing for wet strength and leak resistance. But unlike other papers, peach treat paper allows the meat to breathe, allowing it to maintain an attractive color. Also, the darker color hides any juices that happen to leak. You should not freezer in peach treated paper (or butcher paper) unless you first wrap the product in plastic

I think that this is getting over thought just a bit. The above highlighted in red should answer the question of what size to buy and also take care of the concern about using treated paper.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #20
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

WOW, I'm glad one of us was paying attention. I'm not exactly sure how I missed that one. Thanks CarolinaQue.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #21
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

I saw that line but then you read under the peach paper and it says it is treated with sizing so it contradicts itself. I've searched all over and can't find anything that says sizing is safe for food under heat conditions in say a smoker.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #22
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Butcher paper is approved by the USDA as being food safe. Red or white, it doesn't matter. Did you see in Pitmaster T's latest brisket video that he was using white BP?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #23
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Butcher paper is approved by the USDA as being food safe. Red or white, it doesn't matter. Did you see in Pitmaster T's latest brisket video that he was using white BP?
I understand that but I read this as its butchers paper that's been coated with sizing to help retain moisture. I'm trying to find out if sizing holds up under heat and make sure it isn't off gassing some harmful chemical as it breaks down. Everything I've seen says butchers paper should be all natural and in my head if its been treated its no longer all natural. I'm sure its fine just trying to get a definite answer that sizing won't contaminate food under heat.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireburd View Post
I saw that line but then you read under the peach paper and it says it is treated with sizing so it contradicts itself. I've searched all over and can't find anything that says sizing is safe for food under heat conditions in say a smoker.

Then don't buy the peach paper, just buy a roll of the 24" white butcher paper and be done with it.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #25
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Then don't buy the peach paper, just buy a roll of the 24" white butcher paper and be done with it.
I appologize for asking my question. Didn't mean to frustrate some people just new to this and trying to figure it out with the knowledge here. I'm a man who likes to know how things work and occasionally I over think things and upsets some people because I won't just go with the flow and just assume it works because it does. Thank you all who tried to help and sorry if my questions were annoying.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #26
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireburd View Post
I appologize for asking my question. Didn't mean to frustrate some people just new to this and trying to figure it out with the knowledge here. I'm a man who likes to know how things work and occasionally I over think things and upsets some people because I won't just go with the flow and just assume it works because it does. Thank you all who tried to help and sorry if my questions were annoying.

It's not that the question is annoying and you don't need to apologize for asking it. I'm just saying that there is a clear answer if you read what was highlighted in red. I'm just not sure why the question is being re-asked so many different ways is all.

- Beautiful family

Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
MidnightStokersBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Did my first butcher paper brisket this weekend and it turned out killer. Not sure I can go back to foil now. Great bark and perfect texture.

18" WSM & 22" WSM
MidnightStokersBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

I finally got a roll of 18" red 40# paper, but boy it was a lot of work. Restaurant Depot does not carry it here.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #29
MidnightStokersBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

If you get a roll from the POS site (where I got mine) get the stand for it. Makes it very easy to dispense one handed. I got the 24" and it's a perfect width for a packer.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

18" WSM & 22" WSM
MidnightStokersBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #30
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

I get mine from a local butcher shop.
I buy a good bit of meat from him, so sometimes the paper's free.
Same with butcher twine. I could get it at a local restaurant supply place, but free is hard to beat.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote