MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
pbrausey
Found some matches.

Default Water Pan Thought

Anyone ever thought about incorporating a drip system to constantly keep water or whatever contents in the water pan during a smoke so you don't have to open up the smoker? It wouldn't be tough to incorporate into it just would need to keep a steady drip to keep contents in the pan. Any comments?
pbrausey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Water in a waterPan It's going to be ok eventually you will wake to the fact that a Clay saucer or filling that pan with Cat litter is the way to go.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Southstar Jeff
Full Fledged Farker

There are cookers that have auto fill water pans. Myron Mixon's comes to mind.
Smokey Joe Silver
RecTec
Southstar Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

One of the coolest designs, other than mine, was from an Austrian bbq site and the builder's craftsmanship was amazing. One thing incorporated in his was a reservoir mounted on a pole outside and control via hand valve. When the fill tube went through side of barrel, there was a sightglass for seeing the pan's fluid level! The brackets and attention to decal rivaled some of my friends that do indycar/aircraft fabrication work. Lots of hand hammered brackets and rivets. Beyond beautiful. On my smokers I size the pan to service in around two hour intervals. Then it takes only seconds, plus it's usually time to wrap, glaze or pull something at those times. Outside reservoirs can be problematic due to tempertaure of the fluid being added. That's why if I want to cool things down, put cooler fluid in pan and so on.Hotter fluid being added will take less time to get back to cooking temps. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

IMO the water is there to help control temperature. If you are boiling the water out of the pan, your temperature is too high. If you want to cook higher than about 225 or 250, then just foil the pan and let 'er rip.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

It depends on the volume of fluid in relationship to cooking area. I always hear these stories about not being able to cook above boiling temps and I will say that's just not true. At least not in my smokers or many others I've cooked on. My average cooking temp is 275 for most things and much higher, 325-350 for chicken and other things. Never had a problem when my water pan is filled with apple juice getting to temp or maintaining. Now I have seen pits with huge water pans that took hours to get to 200 and left so much soot and creosote on the food they wrap in cheesecloth for some reason. Not near enough airflow and the pan is way to big. Not all cookers are the same. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

I've seen folks use a 5gal water jug turned upside down with some kinda drip system on a offset before it looked crazy, I don't know what he called it I'll take a picture of it this year when I see him in comp next month.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

In my Off Set... I use a 5"X9" stainless steel steam table pan.
I add applejuice and water once midway in a long smoke. Short smokes I don't refill... Needless to say I don't fill my pan full...

I don't use water in my UDS.
The UDS maintains a WET environment without adding water.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote