MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #16
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
I built two custom UDS's (mainly for competition) and I've fired one up exactly ONCE since I received my PBC nearly nine months ago, and that was for a catering gig. I'll trade both of my UDS's straight-up for one more PBC.

Just to bring the cookie jar down to where the kiddies can reach it, we beat Johnny Trigg in ribs and pork at a single comp using a PBC, Kingsford blue bag, and *gasp* lighter fluid.

John
Free beer for the judges???? Just funnin! That's cool.Congrats.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #17
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Free beer for the judges???? Just funnin! That's cool.Congrats.
Werd! It cost us a couple twelves of Natty Light. Bastages!

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
rwalters

Name/Nickname : Robb

Well, as mentioned at the top of this thread, I received my Pit Barrel Cooker last week. It was a BUSY weekend, but did have a chance to fire it up... here's my initial impression:

1) I have cooked on a GOOD NUMBER of cookers over the years! The reason I state this is because I think it is important to know that I actually have experiences to compare the ability of this cooker too.

2) I did a VERY SIMPLE first cook, which consisted of 1 3.5lb tri-tip. I simply dusted it with a good coat of SM peppered cow rub. Fired up the Pit Barrel Cooker (using lighter fluid ), waited the suggested 20 minutes, stuck a hook through the tri-tip, hung it in the PBC, and returned 40 minutes later to what I believe was one of the best tri-tips I have ever had (and living in CA, I have had my fair share of tri-tip).

3) Bottomline, I was VERY impressed with the PBC. The tri-tip was cooked to perfection with ZERO interaction required.

4) I CANNOT wait to throw this bad boy some chicken, ribs and butt. I have no reason to doubt that I will once again be blown away!

SERIOUSLY, this PBC is soooo simple! It is WELL built (LOVE the slight sheen to the powder coat finish *CLASSY*)!! I am thinking this may very well become my go-to cooker... it appears to be that GOOD!!!
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
C-Town Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

I can't wait to try mine out!! For $225 (with the grilling.com discount) shipped it's hard to beat!!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #20
SchatzSea
On the road to being a farker

+1^^, mine has been sitting in the box out in the garage for a week...waiting for the fat man in a red suit to show up. Killing me!

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid

The Qrew -- Smokin’ Hot Wife, Two Smokin’ Little Monkeys, and Two Hot Digity Dogs

"Hello. My name is Inigo Pork-toya. You grilled my father. Prepare to fry."

Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #21
-HAZARD-
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain WHY this is better then a UDS?

It's the same thing isn't it?

-I see that it only has a very small exhaust.
-I see that it has a hanging rack system.
-I don't see the intake design however.

PadioDaddio, what makes this better than your two UDS's that you would trade?

EDIT: Oh wait, I see you are either sponsored by them or have some other interest in advertising for them. (Not being sarcastic, just looking for an honest review) SOMEBODY ELSE, who has cooked on both the UDS and PBC, is there a difference?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #22
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HAZARD- View Post

EDIT: Oh wait, I see you are either sponsored by them or have some other interest in advertising for them. (Not being sarcastic, just looking for an honest review) SOMEBODY ELSE, who has cooked on both the UDS and PBC, is there a difference?
Honestly, I don't think anybody is meaning to say that the Pit Barrel is the end all be all of all UDSs. In some respects it is better, in others worse. The smaller 30 gallon size allows for a higher cooking temp and the barrel itself radiates heat evenly. In the downside the PBC comes preset with a certain intake position (located near the bottom. Basically just a hole with a round damper). It is preset to run about 290ish. It can be changed, but I believe that would require using a screw driver to loosen the plate. Why is that an [x] for the PBC? Well, a UDS can cook at much lower temperatures for A LOT longer than the PBC can. A UDS also has more variabilty with custom features and such.

Comparing the PBC to a UDS is like comparing a WMS to its Canadian cousin the Napolean. They are essentially the same thing in design but what differs between them is the small features. One really isn't "better" than the other. They are just...different.

Now I don't technically have experience cooking on a PBC yet. However, I have done a lot of research before buying one for Christmas. My choice was either a PBC or 18.5" WSM and once I got the coupon for a $100 off from Grilling.com I was sold on the PBC. $225 shipped Fedex ground to my door was a deal I couldn't pass up. Since, I already have the Coleman version of a WSM I really wanted something different. Yeah sure, I could've built a UDS for $225 but why not try something different? On top of the PBC which is a gift from my ladyfriend, I am also having a friend build me a new UDS. Why a new UDS, if the PBC is so great and mighty? Just because

After the new year I plan on cooking on both my new PBC and my (soon to be new) UDS to really get a feel for the differences in usage and post my experiences here. I have my ideas of why I might like one over the other and vise versa, but I will wait to post any of that until I can make a sure fire decision. Until then, I hope this tid bit helped you out..

Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #23
rwalters

Quote:

Completely agree w/ flyingbassman5... I am not in any way claiming this is the worlds best cooker! All I am saying is that I have tried a fair # of cookers... some costing 10x what I paid for this lil PBC. I have cooked on WSM's, Hasty Bakes, Pellet grills/smokers, Kettle's, Char-Grillers, etc. And although each of these cookers has the ability to turn out REALLY good food, I can honestly say that I am more impressed with what I am seeing this PBC churn out than any of the other cookers that I have mentioned above. That's just my experience! I love the the enormous capacity of this lil guy. I also like that I can EASILY toss it in the trunk of my Honda Accord and take it from point A to point B. I have never had a portable cooker that actually had the capacity to feed a decent size crowd... I LOVE that about the PBC!!

Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #24
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:

First, as I've stated on this forum, I have zero financial or other interest in the Pit Barrel Cooker Co. I simply believe in their product. Please get your facts straight before casting aspersions. Calling people dishonest doesn't help your cause.

Why is it better than a UDS?

- Smaller and more portable
- More capacity
- More consistent results
- More efficient (uses less charcoal)
- High-temp powder coating
- No dampers to mess with
- No racks to clean (for most cooks)

Here's an idea... If you're so interested in an "honest" review, why don't you put your money where your mouth is, buy one and write a review? It's easy to hide behind a keyboard and throw rocks.

John

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I fail to understand the Hype of a UDS with a couple of pieces of reed bar and a few hooks
+1 I would be scared my meat would fall off the hooks after 1 too many millers
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #26
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Moderator Note. Please keep this thread on track. No need to bash each other on which cooker is the best.
Thank you in advance.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #27
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Town Smoker View Post
I can't wait to try mine out!! For $225 (with the grilling.com discount) shipped it's hard to beat!!
Thanks!

Now the wait begins
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #28
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
I can assure you that this is no UDS. Head over to their site and see the difference.

John
Ok you have me stumped whats different about this over a UDS?
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #29
rwalters

btw: gonna be doing two whole chickens (split in half) on the PBC tomorrow... can't wait to see how they turn out. Based on the "how to" video @ www.pitbarrelcooker.com it looks SUPER easy. Will let you guys know how it turns out

Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #30
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Ok you have me stumped whats different about this over a UDS?
Please look back a few posts. I just replied to the same question less than an hour ago.

John