What causes ribs to taste hammy

I already replied to this thread, but while we are on the subject of enhance, does anyone know where I/We can find whole chickens that are not "enhanced"? Even Sams has the birds on steroids. I'd love to smoke up some natural chicken for a change...:cool:

My local HEB always has two brands of whole birds on display, one is a bit more money, and is natural (not free range organic, but not enhanced either). The other brand is less expensive and definitely pumped up. They are stocked right next to each other in the display cooler.

IMO, if you bought the ribs and there were pre-cut to St. Louis style, most likely there were "enhanced".

I only buy ribs from RD now. I think SAMs full cut are ok, but don't really trust them.

wallace

I already replied to this thread, but while we are on the subject of enhance, does anyone know where I/We can find whole chickens that are not "enhanced"? Even Sams has the birds on steroids. I'd love to smoke up some natural chicken for a change...:cool:[/Q

Sanderson Farms is natural.

Tom Thumb
Albertson's
Minyard
Sack and Save

IMO, if you bought the ribs and there were pre-cut to St. Louis style, most likely there were "enhanced".

I only buy ribs from RD now. I think SAMs full cut are ok, but don't really trust them.

wallace

I get pre cut st louis spares in cryo, and these are not enhanced. "All natural, previously frozen". They come from the packer plant like that. By law, they have to state if the product is enhanced on the label. It has to be part of the ingredient list. You'll notice the sodium content will be a lot higher in an enhanced rack compared to a natural rack. That's on the label too.

FYI, if you do a google search for "smithfield ribs enhanced", you'll hit a huge amount of info on this. The bottom line, read the label carefully.

Last edited:
Read the packaging. If they aren't all natural then they have solutions added, avoid them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smithfield has a couple of "lines". Why I have no idea, but most of theirs
is VERY enhanced and will taste hammy. However, as said above, they have an "All Natural" line (says ALL NATURAL in a red label) that is minimally enhance that are fine.

I've never cooked enhanced ribs that I know of, do they look all pink and cured when cooked?

I get pre cut st louis spares in cryo, and these are not enhanced. "All natural, previously frozen". They come from the packer plant like that. By law, they have to state if the product is enhanced on the label. It has to be part of the ingredient list. You'll notice the sodium content will be a lot higher in an enhanced rack compared to a natural rack. That's on the label too.

FYI, if you do a google search for "smithfield ribs enhanced", you'll hit a huge amount of info on this. The bottom line, read the label carefully.

Thanks. I'll take a look next time and see what the label says. I guess I a just gun shy from the bummer ribs (pre-cut) I have purchased in the past.

wallace

I like hammy ribs and so do comp judges. Just sayin

I too have had bad experience with smithfield. Also everytime ribs go on sale for $.99/lb they are enhanced. Buyer beware

I've never cooked enhanced ribs that I know of, do they look all pink and cured when cooked?

If you cook them hot and fast it will not bebas noticeable, but low and slow can make them look like ham all the way to the bone. Also you really have to watch the salt content of the rub since they are already salty to an extent.

I just avoid em altogether.

If you cook them hot and fast it will not bebas noticeable, but low and slow can make them look like ham all the way to the bone. Also you really have to watch the salt content of the rub since they are already salty to an extent.

I just avoid em altogether.

I can get natural ribs to look like ham all the way to the bone, but that's just a deep smoke ring.

I can get natural ribs to look like ham all the way to the bone, but that's just a deep smoke ring.

Yep! I actually try to get em cooked faster at comps to avoid that so that some judge that knows just enough to be dangerous doesn't assume that I used enhanced.

I had a problem a while back with some ribs that tasted really nasty, kind of like slop fed hogs. It was disgusting. I think it was old meat kept in cryovac far beyond it's prime.

Try another source for meat. If you have a local butcher, give it a try.

Back