Houston business trip

---k---

is One Chatty Farker
I get the privilege of being in Houston for two nights in a few weeks from now. My searched here turned up quite a few suggestions. I was hoping that I could get it narrowed down to just a few, so I don't have to decide. :icon_blush:

My project site is downtown, near Texas and Main Street. They got me at a hotel near the Reliant Center. Lunch should be within walking distance and dinner places reasonably close by would be appreciated. But I got nothing else going in the evening and can drive.

So what say the Brethren? Is there any hope on getting a consensus? :pray:

Yeah, and I'm going to be there Tuesday and Wednesday night only.

Really, that's all you got? I was specifically looking forward to your recommendation. You have to remember, I'm from up north. My standard's aren't as high. :grin:

LUNCH (near Main & Texas, generally walking distance):

1. Treebeard's (315 Travis, 2 blocks north, 1 block west of Main & Texas next to Market Square): Houston soul food, a downtown icon, only open from 11a to 2p. Shrimp Etoufee is very good so is the gumbo, red beans & rice, fried chicken....well just about everything is good. The whiskey soaked bread pudding is a great dessert.

2. Irma's (Chenevert & Commerce, 7 blocks east, 5 blocks north, not a bad walk down Commerce): Old school Tex-Mex joint near Minute Maid Park and the Courthouse. Irma works the room like a pro and the food is great. Well known for Chicken Enchiladas and lemonade (of all things.)

3. Flying Saucer Draft Emporium (Main & Capitol, 2 blocks south): A gillion beers on tap, good pub grub. Better spot to stop after work but a good lunch spot close to where you will be.

4. Thelma's Bar B Que (3755 Southmore in the the Third Ward): You can't walk there but it is a short drive from downtown. Iconic black urban BBQ joint.

5. Lankford Grocery (88 Dennis Street, Fourth Ward): Arguably the best hamburger in Houston. Can't walk from Downtown but it is close, maybe 10 minutes.

DINNER (You're kind of in no man's land down by Reliant so I assume you'll be driving, like everybody else in Houston), nothing is too far away from your work or your hotel:

1. Niko Niko's (2520 Montrose): Great greek food in The Montrose. Best gyro in town. Always packed. It's not far from downtown so easy to hit on the way back to the hotel.

2. Fajita Pete's (4050 Bellaire Blvd): Arguably the best fajitas in town. North of Reliant area in Braeswood/Bellaire. Short drive

3. Haven (2502 Algerian Way): Farm-to-table restaurant. Executive chef used to be the executive chef at Brennan's, a Houston icon. Local produce, meat, charcuterie. Bring your wallet. Worth the money. Straight north on Kirby from Reliant a couple of miles.

4. Frank's Chop House ( 3736 Westheimer): Great service, great steaks, great Chicken Fried Steak, great cocktails. Currently, my favorite place to go for drinks and dinner with my wife. Frank Crapitto is the owner (also has an Italian restaurant nearby), he'll be there to greet you when you come in. Love this place.

5. Block 7 Wine Company (720 Shepherd): Hipster wine joint with good food. Lots of honeys. Other bars and restaurants in the area if you want to pub crawl around the Washington Avenue area.

The building that I was in has an Otto BBQ in it. The smell fills the lower levels. I asked the client if it was any good. He beat around the bush a bit and said it was good, just not his kind of BBQ. I probed him to as what this meant, and he said that when he wants BBQ he wants a big plate of meat but they give like 3 slices of brisket and charge $8. Okay, yuppie BBQ. Next. So I asked him where to go. He struggled. Says there are a lot of places that people like, but he cooks his own on his big brick pit. Okay, invite me over! No dice. :-D

I drove around for about an hour last night looking for Q.

I drove down to Thema's. But at 7:30 pm it was looking pretty deserted and is in a rough neighborhood, so I kept on driving. (Today I was told that it is a lunch place and when she runs out, she closes.) Disappointed.

I had a recommendation for Pierson & Co on TC Jester. Same story. I drove past and it looked closed. :x

I also got a recommendation to try Hickory Hollows, supposedly one of the 10 best. It was open, so passed the first test. It looked like a small local place and not a tourist trap, passed 2nd test. Smelled like burning wood, passed test #3, let's go in! I went for the 3 meat combo: Brisket, Ribs, and Sausage with sauce on the side. The brisket was pretty dry and not a lot of beef flavor. Sausage was a polish sausage. It had some smoke flavor, but not very unique. The ribs were big and meaty, but just weren't doing much for me. I didn't much care for the sauce straight up. But on the ribs it was better. Today, the client just said, yeah I don't like that place much either... But still, no recommendation was flowing.

Tonight, I decided to try Goode Company BBQ. Supposedly a Houston best. Pulling up, I was surprised how small it was. I had to share a table. It was a good local joint - Check. Again, I went for the 3 meat combo, but this time brisket, sausage, and chicken (they just ran out of ribs). I don't know. Maybe I don't like brisket??? :shock: The flat was moist enough, but strong wood flavor and but missing that good beef flavor. The point slices tasted like I was eating all fat. ewe... Sausage was better. I liked it, but it wasn't like amazing, knock my socks off. The chicken was... well chicken. Strong wood flavor but not much else. There was a rub on the skin that I discarded. And again, I didn't like the sauce. It tasted like someone mixed BBQ sauce with Pasta sauce. I'm sure some people like it, just not me. (But I do really like Stumps out of the jar from the supermarket, so it's not like I don't like Texas bbq sauce).

Yeah. Really disappointing. I guess it is true, no good BBQ in Houston because those who like BBQ make their own.

Maybe it is just me. Maybe I like bad BBQ. I gave Houston one last try and had a 3 meat combo at the airport on my way out. I can't think of the name off hand, Terminal B, it wasn't Pappas, but the other one. I wasn't expecting much, since it was the airport. But, I like the sauce. I liked the ribs. I liked the sausage. The brisket was still pretty dry, but it had good flavor, but the flavor was more like my grandma's pot roast. So tasty, but not what I was hoping for.

So, I guess I'm going to have to get out this summer and find some good Q and find out if it is just me. :-D

So much for recommendations.

I really appreciated the recommendations. I wanted to try them. But, I wasn't alone at lunch like i thought I was going to be and didn't get to pick. And for dinner I was told by the locals there who would be asking how it was to go here or there. I kind of felt obligated to them. Oh and I was somewhat on a budget due to crack down on company policies.

I'll be back....

Could the place at the Airport have been Harlins?They are in a lot of major airports now.Used to be pretty good before he grew.Now not so good anymore.
I work in Houston almost every day.Never found really good bbq any where
in town.

Could the place at the Airport have been Harlins?They are in a lot of major airports now.Used to be pretty good before he grew.Now not so good anymore.
I work in Houston almost every day.Never found really good bbq any where
in town.

Yes, Harlins. Thank you.
It is really getting to be humorous how many locals say there aren't good bbq places in town.

If they have one at the Houston airport, you might try Cousins. I ate there in the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport and really liked their brisket (and everything else). Even though it's not cooked on the premises, it's still flavorful and moist which was a surprise.
Randy

Back